• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby "Signature Series" comic for sale...

120 posts in this topic

I chatted with the Voldemort guys when they started the verification service, the folks that they use for the certification have over twenty legitimate Ditko sigs for comparison.

Ditko is a keen letter writer, two of my acquaintances have had correspondences with him, and have received signed letters back.

So although there may not be many signed comics, there are plenty of Ditko signatures out there.

I'm sure it's fake, but according to their super expensive, awesome website, they now only differentiate between verified sigs and witnessed sigs by text.

Also, it should be noted they verify their own sigs....lol.....

Screenshot%202016-09-28%2010.12.56.jpg

I like how it says "we" like there's more than one guy working out of his mom's basement.

that was harsh.

to be fair: it IS his ex-wife's basement

I'm sure it's fake, but according to their super expensive, awesome website, they now only differentiate between verified sigs and witnessed sigs by text.

I like how it says "we" like there's more than one guy working out of his mom's basement.

that was harsh.

Haha!

Yeah, I would trust the verification process from Voldemort WAY before PGX. Mainly because PGX states right on their website that they will verify signatures "from their extensive database on site"

hm....So, to me, that says "We look at it and mark it legit"

There is at least 3.

Does this count DJBRADY4U who gets to borrow his equipment to encapsulate his own books at much inflated grades and self witnessed signatures?

No he was "banned" from submitting lol

While I totally respect and feel most comfortable with how CGC handles authenticating signatures it isn't the only way possible. Under the law in NY a layperson is competent to authenticate signatures. While it certainly has risks that should be taken into account by a buyer, purchasing autographs based upon expert authentication is hardly new. This from someone who has never purchase nor had a comic signed by any company.

that was harsh.

Haha!

Yeah, I would trust the verification process from Voldemort WAY before PGX. Mainly because PGX states right on their website that they will verify signatures "from their extensive database on site"

hm....So, to me, that says "We look at it and mark it legit"

Does their extensive database also include those signatures they have on site deemed authentic? What is the source of the comparisons.

While I totally respect and feel most comfortable with how CGC handles authenticating signatures it isn't the only way possible. Under the law in NY a layperson is competent to authenticate signatures. While it certainly has risks that should be taken into account by a buyer, purchasing autographs based upon expert authentication is hardly new. This from someone who has never purchase nor had a comic signed by any company.

CGC doesn't authenticate signatures :gossip:

CGC doesn't authenticate signatures :gossip:

Technically speaking, they do. They just do it using witnesses. "Authenticate" just means "to prove or show something to be genuine." CGC is using one of the most stringent authentication methods, which is to require a signature to be witnessed by an authorized agent before they will authenticate it. Their term for this method is "witnessed," but it's still a method of authentication - and it can still be subject to fraud if one or more people in the chain are dishonest. Remember, the person creating the label didn't even see the signature taking place!

And both have been pulled by Comiclink.

Since Comiclink pulled this it means they are now (likely because of people here) questioning the validity of the signatures. What kind of ramifications does this have for PGX or the person that submitted the books for slabbing?

I think I was there when Ditko signed those books. I remember the exact day. We were having a picnic in Central Park. The air was dry, the sun was climbing into the mid day sky. I was eating a Pastrami on Rye, easy mustard, and Steve was eating a Cobb Salad. We were discussing the climbing national debt and how the economy can be fixed with trickle down economics ( just like Reagan) when a man approached us. At first I thought he was asking my signature( I know, I was surprised as well), but he takes out two old comics and asks Steve to sign them. Steve always brings a silver and black Sharpie, just in case, and the deal was done. The man asked if I knew Stan Lee and if I could help him get that signature as well. I asked him to turn around three times and click his heals together. He complied. By the time the spinning was over I used my mind control to get Stan to sign as well..Then again that could have been a dream I had. Sometimes the pills I take cause me to hallucinate. The voices, the voices, so many voices....................................................................

And both have been pulled by Comiclink.

Since Comiclink pulled this it means they are now (likely because of people here) questioning the validity of the signatures. What kind of ramifications does this have for PGX or the person that submitted the books for slabbing?

I assume the "person submitting the books for slabbing" and authentication was the PGX guys themselves testing the waters to see if the market would believe a Steven Ditko signature.

Guess they got the answer, though I assume this will show up at eBay, it will sell and it will get returned (if they can even make it to an auction end, which based on the boards here, they wont. The second it gets on eBay it'll get "Notified" out the wazoo).

I chatted with the Voldemort guys when they started the verification service, the folks that they use for the certification have over twenty legitimate Ditko sigs for comparison.

Ditko is a keen letter writer, two of my acquaintances have had correspondences with him, and have received signed letters back.

So although there may not be many signed comics, there are plenty of Ditko signatures out there.

Isn't there some question as to whether Ditko or a secretary is writing those letters? Could be wrong, but I thought I read that in a previous thread on Ditko.

Steve does not have a secretary. He will on occasion answer his fan mail.

Yeah, I went back and reread the earlier thread. Someone raised the possibility that the letters replying to fans were written by an assistant, but no support for the suggestion was offered. Hard to imagine an assistant writing out responses rather than typing them up.