• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TMNT #2 signed...questions about authenticity and printing?

9 posts in this topic

Guys I don't collect and have never really dealt with TMNT at all but recently picked up what I THINK is a first print copy of #2 with signatures by both creators on the inside cover. From my research it does look like this is a first print and the sigs APPEAR authentic, but I'd like more experienced collectors to take a look. Also, it only has one staple...looks to be a manufacturing defect as there are no other staple holes. Is this common or a red flag?

Anybody who knows more about TMNT than me (which is probably anyone, lol)...please take a look at the pics and let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Turtles2.jpg

Turtles2b.jpg

TMNT%202%20cgc%20boards%20A.jpg

I've had a SS #2 with Eastman's signature and it looked very much like that one.

Also, the white cover and newsprint interior pages is a sign it is the real deal.

As for the staples, I'm not sure: If there are no holes, it should be considered a manufacturer's defect

I've had a SS #2 with Eastman's signature and it looked very much like that one.

Also, the white cover and newsprint interior pages is a sign it is the real deal.

As for the staples, I'm not sure: If there are no holes, it should be considered a manufacturer's defect

Thanks! (thumbs u

A second print would be indicated on the inside front cover...something I don't see in your copy. Everything else looks correct. Looks like a first print to me.

The signatures look good too. Both signatures have evolved over the years and these appear to be signatures from the 80's. From the looks of Kevin's sig, it may have been signed in '87. He was adding in his middle initial in his signature around that time, which lends to its authenticity (Kevin Brooks Eastman).

There are counterfeits out there, but they are very rare and hard to detect. Based on the frequency and timing with which many counterfeits surfaced, I'd be very surprised if yours was a counterfeit. From the photos, I'd say it's authentic, but impossible for me to tell without seeing the book up close.

Finally, the first few issues had notoriously poor printing quality. Errors such as double covers and missing staples are more common with these issues than some of the big publishers. It wouldn't surprise me at all if some authentic copies were missing staples.

Overall, looks like a legit, signed 1st print to me. (thumbs u Of course, I'm no professional. Grain of salt.

A second print would be indicated on the inside front cover...something I don't see in your copy. Everything else looks correct. Looks like a first print to me.

The signatures look good too. Both signatures have evolved over the years and these appear to be signatures from the 80's. From the looks of Kevin's sig, it may have been signed in '87. He was adding in his middle initial in his signature around that time, which lends to its authenticity (Kevin Brooks Eastman).

There are counterfeits out there, but they are very rare and hard to detect. Based on the frequency and timing with which many counterfeits surfaced, I'd be very surprised if yours was a counterfeit. From the photos, I'd say it's authentic, but impossible for me to tell without seeing the book up close.

Finally, the first few issues had notoriously poor printing quality. Errors such as double covers and missing staples are more common with these issues than some of the big publishers. It wouldn't surprise me at all if some authentic copies were missing staples.

Overall, looks like a legit, signed 1st print to me. (thumbs u Of course, I'm no professional. Grain of salt.

I agree, this looks legit and a first printing.

I've never heard of an issue #2 being counterfeited though....only #1, go figure its a 100 fold value difference. I guess that's why money counterfeiters don't dupe $5's. :grin: