• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo Canada - August 31-September 3, 2017 Toronto, ON
2 2

356 posts in this topic

First post! Live in Toronto, and have gotten back into my comic collection as a nostalgic child of the 80's... (rule of 25!). 

Really pumped for this, will be my first con of any kind! Jim Lee was my hero growing up - hoping to get my first SS of my Uncanny #248 (just for me and the wall on my man-cave!)

8 minutes ago, CKinTO said:

First post! Live in Toronto, and have gotten back into my comic collection as a nostalgic child of the 80's... (rule of 25!). 

Really pumped for this, will be my first con of any kind! Jim Lee was my hero growing up - hoping to get my first SS of my Uncanny #248 (just for me and the wall on my man-cave!)

Be prepared to spend a lot of money haha. You'll need to buy a "special ticket package" to get a cgc autograph for Jim Lee.  You'll see as this is your first con, these things are designed to squeeze every last nickle out of you! That being said you're gonna have an awesome time. My first fan expo canada was a blast.

1 minute ago, TheRealVenom said:

Be prepared to spend a lot of money haha. You'll need to buy a "special ticket package" to get a cgc autograph for Jim Lee.  You'll see as this is your first con, these things are designed to squeeze every last nickle out of you! That being said you're gonna have an awesome time. My first fan expo canada was a blast.

Hah, thanks for the heads up. Is the "special ticket package" through FanExpoCanada ticket sales, or through CGC? I can imagine at a big show and a big name, lines will be pretty long... any advice / pointers for a first-timer? Thanks in advance. 

Yes, fortunately the wife understands this nostalgia and is letting me dabble a bit here and there - the only other hobby I spend money on is audio equipment, so I get some leeway.  Have gotten a few books slabbed already, purchased a few off e-bay, but looking forward to my first SS (and meeting Jim Lee!)

Yes, Fan expo will release a special ticket package down the road which includes meeting Jim and getting a book signed for CGC purposes.  Jim Lee charges for his autograph for cgcing so all these costs will be included in the ticket.

I'm sure he will do a free public signing as well but those are only for raw autographs and cannot be cgc'd.

Kevin Boyd here in this thread is the best guy to ask about it tho. He organizes all the comic related jazz for Fan expo

2 hours ago, Kevin Boyd said:

I don't specifics yet on the Jim Lee packages yet. I'm assuming similar to Dallas, with some adjustments based on our experiences there. 

Do you have a time frame when you think all of the packages will go up for sale?

6 hours ago, Kevin Boyd said:

I don't specifics yet on the Jim Lee packages yet. I'm assuming similar to Dallas, with some adjustments based on our experiences there. 

I just read through most of the FanExpo Dallas thread just to see what happened there, and the 2 Jim Lee packages that were offered (and how those went). Looking forward to seeing when these come available and how they'll be structured. 

4 minutes ago, CKinTO said:

I just read through most of the FanExpo Dallas thread just to see what happened there, and the 2 Jim Lee packages that were offered (and how those went). Looking forward to seeing when these come available and how they'll be structured. 

Do you mind giving us the crib notes of what happened in Dallas regarding the 2 Jim Lee packages that were offered. 

33 minutes ago, Captain Canuck said:

Do you mind giving us the crib notes of what happened in Dallas regarding the 2 Jim Lee packages that were offered. 

Kevin can correct me if I'm getting any of the details wrong, but there were 2 packages, 1 for $99 and 1 for $149. The $99 was supposed to be for unwitnessed sigs (I think up to 3), and the $149 was for witnessed sigs (also up to 3) for SS slabs. I think there was some confusion / disorganization, and so everyone ended up in the same line, and some people who paid the $99 were sneaking in witnesses. 

6 hours ago, Hado said:

Must get on Hughes FB sketch list.... must get on Hughes FB sketch list.... must get on Hughes FB sketch list

He doesn't work on blank cover comics for those just a heads up! Im going to try for the 40$ head sketch. Thats the only time he'll draw on a blank for grading. Best of luck tho! 1000$ is a lot to spend! I love Hughes but not that much lol 

7 minutes ago, TheRealVenom said:

He doesn't work on blank cover comics for those just a heads up! Im going to try for the 40$ head sketch. Thats the only time he'll draw on a blank for grading. Best of luck tho! 1000$ is a lot to spend! I love Hughes but not that much lol 

There's a cheaper option than the $1000 3/4 to Full character sketch, but imagine your very own Hughes Catwoman :cloud9:

I have a plan for Hughes haha But it's gonna have to wait until he's just about ready to leave on sunday.

Here's a hint. I snagged this from J Scott Campbell on the last day of Fan expo a couple years ago :p

IMG_1645.jpg

Edited by TheRealVenom

11 hours ago, CKinTO said:

Kevin can correct me if I'm getting any of the details wrong, but there were 2 packages, 1 for $99 and 1 for $149. The $99 was supposed to be for unwitnessed sigs (I think up to 3), and the $149 was for witnessed sigs (also up to 3) for SS slabs. I think there was some confusion / disorganization, and so everyone ended up in the same line, and some people who paid the $99 were sneaking in witnesses. 

3 autographs a print and a selfie in a private room, at Dallas there were the two groups. Reportedly there were some issues with group A (non-CGC) trying to get their books SS'd by hanging around for the second group to finish and then trying to join the Group B line. This won't be repeated if the same packages are offered.

There will also be at least one 2 hour public signing in the signing area. 1 item per person, free. 

Edited by Kevin Boyd

2 hours ago, Kevin Boyd said:

3 autographs a print and a selfie in a private room, at Dallas there were the two groups. Reportedly there were some issues with group A (non-CGC) trying to get their books SS'd by hanging around for the second group to finish and then trying to join the Group B line. This won't be repeated if the same packages are offered.

There will also be at least one 2 hour public signing in the signing area. 1 item per person, free. 

So if we pay for the experience, then we can get 4 autographs including the free private signing. 

Kevin,

Any idea when these packages will be offered for sale on the FanExpo website?

1 hour ago, Captain Canuck said:

So if we pay for the experience, then we can get 4 autographs including the free private signing. 

Kevin,

Any idea when these packages will be offered for sale on the FanExpo website?

Potentially, yes. 

It's May 8, show starts August 31 - probably late June