• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The "big 4"

62 posts in this topic

I see a lot of Conan 1s for sale. Supply seems to exceed demand. I don't see it as a top tier any longer.

I'm surprised myself to see it discussed as being on par with Hulk 181 and GS XM 1. It's been a very long time since the book's been particularly hot.

IMHO in regards to WD 1 it's not only the print run but the cultural impact the series had just like TMNT. As popular as Deadpool is his story line can't survive without him. The WD can go on forever even after the original characters are long gone, but only time will tell. As far as first appearences go in the Bronze/copper/modern era Deadpool easy ranks in the top 10:

No particular order:

Conan

Wolverine

Punisher

Blade

Deadpool

Cable

Death stroke

Harley Quinn

X-23

TMNT

X-23 sticks out like a sore thumb, easily the lamest character on that list.

Maybe, but way more potential than Conan. I'm afraid Conan has seen it's best days and is destined for the sunset like Flash Gordon, Prince Valiant and Tarzan.

Jim

I'm curious to know what books (Bronze Age till now) my fellow collector society members consider the top four comics to own. These are books that will most likely weather another comic book market crash, popularity and sustainability. I'm thinking:

Hulk 181

ASM 129

TMNT 1 first print

Walking Dead 1

Anyone else disagree?

Personally I'd prefer to own the following books with the thought of a possible crash in mind. TOD 10 replacing ASM 129 is primarily a personal decision as I favor Blade more than Punisher. Yet I do feel Blade has the ability to be mainstream longer and more often than Punisher can. Bone 1 replacing TWD 1 is also due to which book I favor but it's also based on both the content and the upside/downside each one potentially has.

Hulk 181

TOD 10

TMNT 1

Bone 1

Is Walking Dead really all that?

Like a lot of really good popular shows, this will eventually end. The comic will continue but the life of all things WD will peter out and we will move on.

WD is not a franchise like Star Wars or Mickey Mouse or Superman.

TMNT has proven itself through a couple cycles and over two generations of kids. Wolverine has been popular for decades and only seems to get more so. He's no Batman or Spiderman but its getting there.

I'm curious to know what books (Bronze Age till now) my fellow collector society members consider the top four comics to own. These are books that will most likely weather another comic book market crash, popularity and sustainability. I'm thinking:

Hulk 181

ASM 129 GSXM1

TMNT 1 first print

Walking Dead 1

Anyone else disagree?

Fixed

There is no good reason for it to cost so much, but Green Lantern 76 is far more expensive than many of the comics discussed so far. Neal Adams' first issues of X-Men, Batman, Avengers, etc are no more valuable than his second issues. But for unknown reasons, his first issue of Green Lantern keeps soaring in price.

Batman 232 (first Ra's Al Ghul) should probably be in this discussion too.

Like a lot of really good popular shows, this will eventually end. The comic will continue but the life of all things WD will peter out and we will move on.

TMNT has proven itself through a couple cycles and over two generations of kids. Wolverine has been popular for decades and only seems to get more so. He's no Batman or Spiderman but its getting there.

Yes. TWD is even bigger than I thought it was.

Go to youtube and facebook. I couldn't believe the following TWD has. Much bigger than Wolverine.

We are talking like a cult now.

When a famous character was killed Sunday night it caused an outrage bigger than when Gwen died.

I am not even a big TWD fan, but this is getting into real iconic status. The days of this being a fly by night fad are long over.

If the criteria is value then SW #1 35 cent and TMNT #1 outpace every book mentioned so far but if your talking about impact of who is in the book or their importance to the comic book legendarium then I think its:

Wolverine

New X-men team

Deadpool

Turtles

Yes. TWD is even bigger than I thought it was.

Go to youtube and facebook. I couldn't believe the following TWD has. Much bigger than Wolverine.

We are talking like a cult now.

When a famous character was killed Sunday night it caused an outrage bigger than when Gwen died.

I am not even a big TWD fan, but this is getting into real iconic status. The days of this being a fly by night fad are long over.

Yup its still quite the cannonball

http://deadline.com/2016/10/walking-dead-ratings-season-7-premiere-nfl-1201842022/