• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature styles you don't like?

20 posts in this topic

Are there signatures of a certain celebrity, artist or writer that you deem not eye appealing, unidentifiable, or just plain dislike?

Some examples I dislike for their simplicity...

Adam Hughes

Brian Azzarello

David Finch

Bruce Timm

Darryl Banks

Doug Mahnke

No disrespect to these greats, but some of these signatures have me contemplating if I even want a signature from them.

Most of the signatures above are simple and small and can be put in areas that do not effect the art on the cover which for me is very important as a collector.

Here is a great example of Adam Hughes' signature that fits well

atmarew_zpsde7rmcu9.jpg

What turns me off are LARGE unattractive signatures that take away from the art on a cover or are signed in areas such as faces. Two creators that spring to mind are Joe Quesada and Daniel Way. Both amazing talents in their own right, but their signatures sometimes take over a cover.

Here is an examples of both on a book (found via Google)

WayQuesada_zpspdm9rvhe.jpg

Most of the signatures above are simple and small and can be put in areas that do not effect the art on the cover which for me is very important as a collector.

Here is a great example of Adam Hughes' signature that fits well

atmarew_zpsde7rmcu9.jpg

What turns me off are LARGE unattractive signatures that take away from the art on a cover or are signed in areas such as faces. Two creators that spring to mind are Joe Quesada and Daniel Way. Both amazing talents in their own right, but their signatures sometimes take over a cover.

Here is an examples of both on a book (found via Google)

WayQuesada_zpspdm9rvhe.jpg

Wow, first time I've seen Quesadas auto and I don't like it lol.

The problem I have with Adam Hughes is that it's very very simple.

Jason Scott Campbell, Stan Lee for example have a great signature in my opinion, eye appeal, consistent and recognizable.

I hear you on sigs that may effect the cover art.

Signature Style you dont like---- Kirkman

Yep. Ugly signature made even worse by his terrible taste in placement. Books for him need to be windowed tightly.

Also not the biggest fan of Frank Miller's signature.

Art Adams, love his artwork, but his sig is like someone trying to forge his own signature badly.

I've seen these two sign after a finished sketch cover and like their autos, then I googled their cgc slabbed signed covers... what the hell? Why can't they just sign a cover like their sketch commissions?

George Pérez does the same thing, two different sigs. One sig style for published work and one for sketch commissions.

I don't like how Kirkman usually signs at an angle. I like my sigs neat, straight, and in the perfect spot.

I also don't like when people just sign their initials

Neat, straight and perfect spot and no to initials, agreed.

Yep. Ugly signature made even worse by his terrible taste in placement. Books for him need to be windowed tightly.

Also not the biggest fan of Frank Miller's signature.

Man I love Kirkhams art, but a tight window is indeed needed.

I've seen some Frank Miller sigs I liked, but majority are inconsistent and sometimes he just goes wild all over the cover art.

I agree with all of yours greenlantern808. Azzarello also looks a lot like Jim Lee's.

Azzarellos sig looks like a lazy mans Jim lee sig lol.

Dual signed books with these two look almost double signed, but one a forgery

Joe Rubinstein, I believe his signature actually lowers the value of books.

In regards to art vs regular signatures, I like Klaus Janson's art signature a lot more than his regular one.

I don't mind Rubinsteins sig, but can see where you're coming from like somebody just wrote his name on a book.

I didn't realize til everyones responses how many artists have an art sig and regular sig, I wonder why that is.

My least favorite sig - Chris Yost. Looks like male genitalia. He signs next to a characters mouth, it's EXTREMELY inappropriate.

hahaha Just looked up his signature and I totally see it. Wow