• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are "Art Print"/"Artist Proof"??

4 posts in this topic

Many prints and Lithos have an AP of about one tenth of the total run. I think these are the first ones off the press and should be the best impressions. I mostly look at it as a way to get more money out of collectors.

Many prints and Lithos have an AP of about one tenth of the total run. I think these are the first ones off the press and should be the best impressions. I mostly look at it as a way to get more money out of collectors.

Echoing this and adding to it.

I know first hand with Disney that their machine printed limited editions such as serigraph cels had an additional print run as Artist proofs. I remember that the norm for awhile was 50-100 proofs to a 2500-5000 print run. The proofs were sent to gallery owners to see if they wanted to order a copy and were outside the print run. At least when it came to the Disney seri-cels (as they were called) the artist proofs were never intended to reach public hands.

This part of my memory is sketchy - I am pretty sure that the gallery owners and art dealers had to send the proofs back at Disney's request if no order was made or if actual print run had run out or they would have to fear the power of the mouse.

I guess it depends what you are buying? Neither one is an original. At least when it comes to art collecting, the "Artist Proof" is still a print, with a far more limited run, sometimes 'inspected' by an artist perhaps with his signature on it. Once the proof run is ok'd then the regular production of prints is run.

Depending on the difference in price between an AP and regular print decide if you think it is worth extra, in most cases if you just want something to have it the answer is usually no. If you want to invest in something, I would just go for the original only.