• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was Barack Obama's first appearance?

97 posts in this topic

:shrug:

August 4, 1961 in Honolulu, Hawaii, United States of America

(tsk)

(shrug) I don't get the finger wag either.

Birther

I am absolutely NOT a birther.

(tsk)

Birther

I was talking about the guy wagging the finger, not you.

Interesting that this thread is still up.

I guess it is only a politics thread if you're asking about first appearances of candidates from the wrong party.

I would think it's a politics thread when politics is being discussed.

That would be the logical deduction. But I saw at least the last Donald Trump first appearance thread, and there was nothing political about it. And yet, it got yanked.

I guess it is only a politics thread if you're asking about first appearances of candidates from the wrong party.

That would be the logical deduction. But I saw at least the last Donald Trump first appearance thread, and there was nothing political about it. And yet, it got yanked.

Yep, it seems that it was a pretty garbage, knee-jerk move.

The first one went bad and was removed. The second one was pulled because the mods don't take kindly to people duplicating threads that were removed.

Not counting Mad magazine appearances. it looks like it might be this one:

Savage Dragon #137 in 8/2008.

SavageDragon_137_SS_9-6.jpg

Possibly MAD #476 April 2007 and MAD #479 July 2007?

When was Brave New World #1 published?

Well, for that OP and anyone curious about comic appearances here is a list: http://www.vulture.com/2016/11/donald-trump-comics.html

Well, for that OP and anyone curious about political commentary about comic appearances here is a list: http://www.vulture.com/2016/11/donald-trump-comics.html

Fixed.

It would have been nice to just post the list, I think. Just my opinion.

Not counting Mad magazine appearances. it looks like it might be this one:

Savage Dragon #137 in 8/2008.

SavageDragon_137_SS_9-6.jpg

Possibly MAD #476 April 2007 and MAD #479 July 2007?

When was Brave New World #1 published?

Licensable Bear #4. Release date 7/18/07. Wow. Almost 10 years ago.

2b3b9b8f179e01023e60c1d23b838178_xl.jpg

It was the Licensable Bear #4 issue

Features 1st comic app. Barack Obama (pre-elections, etc.). Predates the President's appearance in Savage Dragon #137 by more than a year. Only 1,050 copies were produced.

(tsk)

Birther

I was talking about the guy wagging the finger, not you.

The finger wag could be taken several different ways, you identify one possibility, don't be political in CG is another...

Well, for that OP and anyone curious about comic appearances here is a list: http://www.vulture.com/2016/11/donald-trump-comics.html

Really like that Black #4.

A thread on the Clinton Cash Graphic Novel (selling out 1st print, topping Amazon Graphic Novel list) was also pulled down.

Valid comicbook discussion involving political figures tends to be a tough subject to keep on the rails. Does a politician, in a comicbook, count as political discussion. Obviously not per se, but inevitably it devolves.

1st Obama is Licensable Bear #4.

The first one went bad and was removed. The second one was pulled because the mods don't take kindly to people duplicating threads that were removed.

I was OP for both Trump 1st appearance threads, and I didn't even get to see any of the comments in the first thread. All I knew is that they yanked it. The second thread was all above board, as Lazyboy said, all about comics history (FYI first Trump is probably World War 3 Illustrated #10, still need visual confirmation, working on getting a copy of it).

I received a private warning PM about the second thread, and I asked for the rationale for pulling the second thread. Response: "While referencing a character, these are real political people, which is not allowed on the boards."

My response: "So, again, not to be belligerent, but how do any of the Obama books or books with Hitler on the cover or any other political figure in comics get discussed on this forum? Shouldn't a thread be judged on its content? If you actually looked at what was being discussed on the second Trump thread, it was a discussion of comic book history and had ZERO to do with politics. I just don't get how you can, in good conscience, censor a discussion of comic book history that does not veer into political opinions."

I have no personal political/ideological interest in promoting Trump, but not being able to discuss comics history on the CGC forum is pretty terrible.

Well, for that OP and anyone curious about political commentary about comic appearances here is a list: http://www.vulture.com/2016/11/donald-trump-comics.html

Fixed.

It would have been nice to just post the list, I think. Just my opinion.

Then please just keep it to yourself. I didn't write the article and I didn't have the time to type out a separate list and had no desire to delve into the political leanings of it one way or the other. A question was asked, there was an article floating around that gave an answer, simple as that. Easy enough to pick out appearances without getting into the author's drivel.