• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC, The Only Slabbing Service Allowed Within The Walls Of C2E2/ECCC Until 2020

283 posts in this topic

Wasn't there a smaller show last year where CBCS was flaunting the fact that they were the "official grading partner" of the show and CGC wasn't allowed have a booth?

Which show?

If that's true then that changes things a bit.

Basic business practice.

Smart on the part of CGC.

Nothing else to say.

Moving along...

:)

Maybe but still bad for the consumers [us] so why would that make you happy?

How is it bad for you? You can send all the books you like to CBCS via the mail. When you walk in McDonald's and they only have coke, nobody says, well jeez, can't eat here, I must have a choice!

As for CBCS going and making an attempt to buy exclusive access to set up at a show two problems:

1) if it's a small show, it has to be one that CGC is doing and they've gained an advantage -- and you have to crunch the economics of whether they will take in enough submissions at said show to justify the cost. They may not.

2) At a larger show to directly compete to convince the show promoter to shut out CGC may be tough. By offering on site grading, they are giving the show promoter something that's unique and raises the cache of the show. CBCS doesn't have anything to offer other than money, which CGC could easily match or outspend. I wouldn't get into the trap for CBCS, I'd simply go about business as usual.

Up until this point, having another viable third-party grader was good for the community.

The sentiment was almost unanimous on these boards and everywhere where comics are discussed that a viable competitor entering into the ring was good for the hobby.

Now, Comic Wreckers and Popweed push out the competition and it's just business.

And please stop using this beverage war example - it shouldn't even remotely be used in the same discussion.

On-site grading's greatest selling point is CONVENIENCE. Worry warts who don't want to mail their stuff, and people who want instant gratification build their submission piles probably months or a full calendar year ahead anticipating being able to pick up their books at the end of the show.

To take away one of the two choices is unwise, is almost guaranteed to backfire, and is not anything resembling competition.

It's a misguided, desperate throwback attempt to return to the monopoly they once held, and screams of a company scared out of their wits that CBCS's market share keeps growing.

Does CBCS even offer onsite grading?

It's still a drop-off access point that could benefit people getting signatures, or who visit more than one con (i.e. making arrangements to pick up their books at a later show).

They can't even be there at all.

Wasn't there a smaller show last year where CBCS was flaunting the fact that they were the "official grading partner" of the show and CGC wasn't allowed have a booth

That sounds more like a marketing angle that might possibly have been promoted by the show for additional sponsorship revenue. I can't speak in that particular instance, however "official partner" is industry trade show lingo that usually means your at the top echelon in terms of advertising reach/exposure. They usually talk the big talk in terms of telling people they stringently select suppliers to meet consumer needs, but it's more a selection of who is ponying-up the money for that title and advertising rank, than any exclusivity arrangement.

As several others have said, it's a moot point, because CBCS isn't CAPABLE of doing on site grading at these other shows, or at least, it hasn't even tried, so what are they being shut out of?

Its not just on site. They aren't allowed to even have a booth as per Steve P.

Of course there are limitations. Vendors are often banned for reasons that make sense:

Product doesn't fit

Too many similar vendors (mystery box junk sellers). 2 Grading companies isn't too many.

Protocol not fallen in a previous event.

Ice, Who is Steve P? Why does he know something different than what is in every press release?

The main reason the Coke / Pepsi analogy doesn't work is because that market is large enough that people aren't actually personally affected. There are literally millions of followers for each company.

The difference between that and a small hobby / industry like ours (and this hobby is relatively small) is that many of the people at the upper end, the larger volume submitters, know each other personally and the 'us or them' choice takes on a different form than if someone anonymous just disagrees on pop.

As several others have said, it's a moot point, because CBCS isn't CAPABLE of doing on site grading at these other shows, or at least, it hasn't even tried, so what are they being shut out of?

Its not just on site. They aren't allowed to even have a booth as per Steve P.

Of course there are limitations. Vendors are often banned for reasons that make sense:

Product doesn't fit

Too many similar vendors (mystery box junk sellers). 2 Grading companies isn't too many.

Protocol not fallen in a previous event.

Ice, Who is Steve P? Why does he know something different than what is in every press release?

Go back a few pages (Steve Paulus). I'll let you google who he is but he works across the street. First hand knowledge (shrug)

You can add Mark Roman to that list of others from across the street that is also saying it is a

FULL BAN (no booth set up)

not just onsite grading ban.

I'm kind of surprised it didn't happen sooner since CGC has so much invested in a bunch of Cons. They could have easily throw around their weight and gotten CBCS black balled out of Cons awhile ago.

Basic business practice.

Nothing else to say.

Moving along...

How is it bad for you? You can send all the books you like to CBCS via the mail. When you walk in McDonald's and they only have coke, nobody says, well jeez, can't eat here, I must have a choice!

As for CBCS going and making an attempt to buy exclusive access to set up at a show two problems:

1) if it's a small show, it has to be one that CGC is doing and they've gained an advantage -- and you have to crunch the economics of whether they will take in enough submissions at said show to justify the cost. They may not.

2) At a larger show to directly compete to convince the show promoter to shut out CGC may be tough. By offering on site grading, they are giving the show promoter something that's unique and raises the cache of the show. CBCS doesn't have anything to offer other than money, which CGC could easily match or outspend. I wouldn't get into the trap for CBCS, I'd simply go about business as usual.

Brian I buy products and use both companies but if I was on site I would like to have to option to use both, maybe meet the people behind the scenes too. I would always prefer to have a choice rather than have someone try to dictate that choice to me.

And I'd like to buy Diet Coke at Taco Bell, but I can't. No one is dictating anything to you. If you believe this is a bad move by ECCC, don't patronize their show and let them know the reason why. If enough people stop spending money, they will cancel the exclusive deal.

Basic business practice.

Nothing else to say.

Moving along...

Up until this point, having another viable third-party grader was good for the community.

The sentiment was almost unanimous on these boards and everywhere where comics are discussed that a viable competitor entering into the ring was good for the hobby.

Now, Comic Wreckers and Popweed push out the competition and it's just business.

And please stop using this beverage war example - it shouldn't even remotely be used in the same discussion.

On-site grading's greatest selling point is CONVENIENCE. Worry warts who don't want to mail their stuff, and people who want instant gratification build their submission piles probably months or a full calendar year ahead anticipating being able to pick up their books at the end of the show.

To take away one of the two choices is unwise, is almost guaranteed to backfire, and is not anything resembling competition.

It's a misguided, desperate throwback attempt to return to the monopoly they once held, and screams of a company scared out of their wits that CBCS's market share keeps growing.

Totally disagree -- why shouldn't beverage war be used? It's two products or services. It's a competitive advantage and if someone wants to pay or negotiate a deal that gives them exclusivity is fine.

Taking away one always backfires? For who? Under what example? How is this going to negatively impact anything?

Its been shown in this thread why the beverage comparison doesn't work and shouldn't be used.

Would you go to a con if you were limited to only the following vendors:

DC comics

Funko Pops

Mile High

Mattel

Pizza Pizza

Supergirl cast, crew, film, editor

or would you prefer to go to the con that has:

DC, Marvel, IDW, DH, Valiant

Funko, Junko, Munko, Trunko

Mile High, Dale, Bob, Rick, Adam

Mattel, Sony, Microsoft, Nerf

Pizza Pizza, Chinese, Wraps, Salad, Steak

Supergirl, Harry Potter, Batman, Anime

its a disservice to all attendees to shut out the #2 company.

Then vote with your wallet. Don't go to the show.

That'll show 'em!

Buy multiple tickets and don't go. If everyone does it, the effect on dealers would be a very effective statement.

Basic business practice.

Nothing else to say.

Moving along...

Totally disagree -- why shouldn't beverage war be used? It's two products or services. It's a competitive advantage and if someone wants to pay or negotiate a deal that gives them exclusivity is fine.

Taking away one always backfires? For who? Under what example? How is this going to negatively impact anything?

Its been shown in this thread why the beverage comparison doesn't work and shouldn't be used.

DC comics

Funko Pops

Mile High

Mattel

Pizza Pizza

That'll show 'em!

Buy multiple tickets and don't go. If everyone does it, the effect on dealers would be a very effective statement.

Yeah, that is a brillant suggestion. Remind me again why I accept your consignments.

Just to be clear, the two day Virginia Comic Con in Richmond, held October 29-30, was a two day show with huge attendance. They had an exclusive grading company there - no other grading companies were permitted to be there.

It wasn't CGC.

I don't remember a whole lot of bleating about it on this board, and on the OTHER board, there was a great deal of chest thumping.

For those who are saying that you can just mail your books to the other grading company you are clearly ignoring signature series. If there is only one grading company at the show you do not have too many choices when it comes to getting witnessed signatures.

Except there's no restriction on attending witnesses and facilitators.

True but you now have the added expenses of paying for shipping and for the facilitator vs just showing up at the CGC booth. While you still have options the alternatives become far less attractive.

Why does everyone assume CGC initiated this?

I don't. I DO assume CGC accepted it. That is enough, though. Both sides: CGC and CBCS, have been acting like spoiled kids. Seeing posts in here praising the "business sense" etc. of this move makes me wonder how close we are coming to a RUNNING MAN society. People seem to be caring less about the actual hobby, less about comic books, and care more about the business of the businesses. Something is getting very out of whack. What could have been healthy competition with room for both companies, we now have a field fraught with hostility. Neither company is coming out looking good here.

The difference between that and a small hobby / industry like ours (and this hobby is relatively small) is that many of the people at the upper end, the larger volume submitters, know each other personally and the 'us or them' choice takes on a different form than if someone anonymous just disagrees on pop.

I would argue that the lack of choice means little to the large volume submitters as they have the knowledge to easily adjust.

It is the average con attendee that makes a difference in this equation.

Zero exposure of your fledgling competitor in a well respected national venue can keep some attendees in the dark about available competition. It also serves to minimize their standing among those already knowledgeable of their existence.

Just to be clear, the two day Virginia Comic Con in Richmond, held October 29-30, was a two day show with huge attendance. They had an exclusive grading company there - no other grading companies were permitted to be there.

It wasn't CGC.

I don't remember a whole lot of bleating about it on this board, and on the OTHER board, there was a great deal of chest thumping.

You need to tell this to Pete Carbonaro. :D

It wasn't CGC.

I can't seem to find anything on this. Exclusive or were they just a sponsor and CGC didn't go

It wasn't CGC.

You need to tell this to Pete Carbonaro. :D

He's already making new shirts

Basic business practice.

Nothing else to say.

Moving along...

DC comics

Funko Pops

Mile High

Mattel

Pizza Pizza

That'll show 'em!

Yeah, that is a brillant suggestion. Remind me again why I accept your consignments.

lol

Why does everyone assume CGC initiated this?

I don't. I DO assume CGC accepted it. That is enough, though. Both sides: CGC and CBCS, have been acting like spoiled kids. Seeing posts in here praising the "business sense" etc. of this move makes me wonder how close we are coming to a RUNNING MAN society. People seem to be caring less about the actual hobby, less about comic books, and care more about the business of the businesses. Something is getting very out of whack. What could have been healthy competition with room for both companies, we now have a field fraught with hostility. Neither company is coming out looking good here.

I feel like everything has moved to this Zero-Sum game mentality. Every situation has to have a winner and a loser. If I like Sony's Playstation, I have to hate Microsoft's Xbox One. If I like Coke, I hate Pepsi. If I support CGC I want Borock to have horrible things happen to him (I don't, I respect Steve greatly). People care more about being right then they care about the actual area.

My brother put it to me the best recently. "What ever happened to the days of just being able to enjoy something". I've seen this a lot over the last few years. It's not just "hey that was fun" it's the land of hyperbole. "This was the greatest movie EVER". And then in retaliation, as soon as something gets to be too big, we must destroy it as well. The most recent example? Nintendo's Switch. Day one they show a teaser trailer. The entire internet explodes and says this is so cool, can't wait to hear more. A few day's later a whole explosion of why Nintendo sucks or the Switch is ACTUALLY bad etc. We can't just be excited for something new.

This isn't war. CGC and CBCS have their pluses and their minuses. I wish both companies well, and guess what, there is room for both. Also there is so much information missing and miss information. Let's wait until we know what is actually happening before castigating CGC for "Banishing" CBCS from 2 cons.