• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC, The Only Slabbing Service Allowed Within The Walls Of C2E2/ECCC Until 2020

283 posts in this topic

I wonder if there would be the same "uproar" if CBCS had done this? I think their fanboys would applaud such a "smart business move".

CBCS was very quick to very publicly jump on CGC's earlier misfortunes (and granted CGC did NOT help themselves) so that they could benefit. Anyone who thinks it was 'purely' for 'love of the hobby' is also drinking the Kool-Aid.

CBCS came onto the scene so now there is competition so CGC is trying to further distinguish itself from the rest and develop and promote their brand . As discussed in the thread many times over, exclusivity deals are nothing new.

At the end of the day it is just business, pure and simple and there is nothing preventing CBCS from inking a similar deal or using some other marketing tactic. I just don't see this as that big of a deal (shrug)

it becomes a big deal down the road. Why don't Comcast and Time Warner compete against each other in the same markets? Because that would benefit consumers. Why does my address dictate which utilities provider I'm subscribed to? Because if they were all available the value of electricity would plummet.

Even if you're only interested in shopping with CGC, competition would make your experience shopping with CGC better. Just last week my internet bill went down and my speeds tripled because I mentioned to the cable company I was thinking of switching to Verizon. Two things to learn from that. One is they could have afforded to give me faster speeds for less money all along, second is that they never would have if there was no competition.

^^ Doesn't matter if it's CGC or the other company. Monopolies are seldom good for the consumer.

I understand how competition works. CBCS entry into the marketplace has been a good thing overall, of course. I just don't think this particular scenario is a "evil/sky is falling" development. Now, if CGC signed exclusivity deals with ALL the shows, well that is another kettle of fish.

the Costco by me only carries Quilted Northern, which shreds when you wipe. I still go to said Costo, I just get my toilet paper elsewhere.

Seems like the same thing as CGC being the con exclusive. (shrug)

Assuming going elsewhere is an option. Universal label is easy but what if you need signatures witnessed?

They are both large enough cons where I don't see it being an issue being able to track down a witness who can handle books for the other company at these shows if for whatever reason you wanted to go that route. This really isn't that big of a deal. It's just business.

Just to be clear, the two day Virginia Comic Con in Richmond, held October 29-30, was a two day show with huge attendance. They had an exclusive grading company there - no other grading companies were permitted to be there.

It wasn't CGC.

I don't remember a whole lot of bleating about it on this board, and on the OTHER board, there was a great deal of chest thumping.

According to CAK both CGC and CBCS were there. Do you know the real scoop?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=43&Number=9624526&Searchpage=1&Main=418977&Words=+CopperAgeKids&topic=0&Search=true#Post9624526

Just to be clear, the two day Virginia Comic Con in Richmond, held October 29-30, was a two day show with huge attendance. They had an exclusive grading company there - no other grading companies were permitted to be there.

It wasn't CGC.

I don't remember a whole lot of bleating about it on this board, and on the OTHER board, there was a great deal of chest thumping.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=43&Number=9624526&Searchpage=1&Main=418977&Words=+CopperAgeKids&topic=0&Search=true#Post9624526

That's good enough for me....he's proven to be infallible in the past.

It wasn't CGC.

That response is useless. No one has been able or willing to answer either here or there. What is the big freaking mystery? Was CGC allowed at the VA CC or was it CBCS Exclusive? Where did FlyingDonut come upon his info? Are people confusing "Official Grader" with exclusivity?

the Costco by me only carries Quilted Northern, which shreds when you wipe. I still go to said Costo, I just get my toilet paper elsewhere.

How many places can you buy toilet paper in town this weekend?

How many comic conventions are there this weekend?

That's the difference. That's why Dodgers Stadium can charge $8 for a beer. Because you're there for the Dodgers. You can buy beer at the grocery store, but then you won't be watching the Dodgers. Essentially, the venue punishes their customers for being fans. The same exact thing is going to happen with comic conventions now. It's not entirely CGC's fault. The conventions found a new way to increase their revenue. They might have been the ones to approach CGC and not the other way around. If that is the case though, expect them to approach other vendors with exclusive offers. Eventually, the convention will be a pre packaged deal representing only certain networks, toy manufacturers, and comics retailers. If you don't like it you can just wait four months, book a room and a flight, and head to the convention that has the companies you're looking for. A bit more of a hassle than going to 7-11 instead of AMPM though.

That's the difference. That's why Dodgers Stadium can charge $8 for a beer. Because you're there for the Dodgers. You can buy beer at the grocery store, but then you won't be watching the Dodgers. Essentially, the venue punishes their customers for being fans. The same exact thing is going to happen with comic conventions now. It's not entirely CGC's fault. The conventions found a new way to increase their revenue. They might have been the ones to approach CGC and not the other way around. If that is the case though, expect them to approach other vendors with exclusive offers. Eventually, the convention will be a pre packaged deal representing only certain networks, toy manufacturers, and comics retailers. If you don't like it you can just wait four months, book a room and a flight, and head to the convention that has the companies you're looking for. A bit more of a hassle than going to 7-11 instead of AMPM though.

Pre-9/11 Attacks you could order pizza over the bleachers turnstile at Yankee Stadium provided you slipped a fiver to the guy at the gate. It was still a bargain.

I'm not a big fan of onsite grading, so I guess it doesn't much matter to me. I'd be shipping my books elsewhere regardless of CGC's exclusive presence.

It wasn't CGC.

That response is useless.

Most of his responses are.

And this particular post you linked to was made BEFORE the convention started.

It wasn't CGC.

That response is useless.

Most of his responses are.

And this particular post you linked to was made BEFORE the convention started.

I guess CGC must have been there building a 40 foot firepit. I pulled up the indexed page from October and there is no mention of CGC being an exhibitor. Every other exhibitor is listed though.

So much whining in this thread over nothing. People realllllly need to unbunch their panties.

Oh and for the CBCS cheerleaders, since you seem to think they can do no wrong... maybe go ask them why they damaged an entire box of my books over the summer and refused to do anything about it. Just went ahead and graded them damaged. Wouldn't do anything in terms of fixing the problem and actually had the stones to charge me for the grading on top of damaging the books and costing me thousands. Their "insurance" doesn't do much if CBCS just denies that books were damaged. "Nope wasn't me... you must have sent all of those in with impact damage to the same corner on every book".

True, they can both have their pros and cons. I would consider damaging your customer's property and not owning up to it and making it right a pretty serious con on the CBCS side. Whereas CGC making a smart business move from their perspective... maybe a con for you but I couldn't care less. But hey that's just me.

True, they can both have their pros and cons. I would consider damaging your customer's property and not owning up to it and making it right a pretty serious con on the CBCS side. Whereas CGC making a smart business move from their perspective... maybe a con for you but I couldn't care less. But hey that's just me.
pretty sure CGC has made some customers unhappy, even damaged books. Those threads would all be deleted now, because CGC wasn't owning up to it either. But hey, you can pick and choose to paint a picture however you like

Even if you're only interested in shopping with CGC, competition would make your experience shopping with CGC better. Just last week my internet bill went down and my speeds tripled because I mentioned to the cable company I was thinking of switching to Verizon. Two things to learn from that. One is they could have afforded to give me faster speeds for less money all along, second is that they never would have if there was no competition.

Without a viable alternative, I wonder how much more time CGC would have taken to fix the new holder. Or if they would have rolled back the modern tier to 1975. Yay, competition!

Without a viable alternative, I wonder how much more time CGC would have taken to fix the new holder. Or if they would have rolled back the modern tier to 1975. Yay, competition!

just think of this though, with their backlog approaching a year, could they have hired more graders with the money spent on exclusive deals?

I think it's great that Cgc will continue to grow and increase tat times

?

Don't worry Adonis will be here to defend how onsite grading makes them grading books faster than the machines being in the office shortly.

Someone seriously chose "Adonis" as their board name? lol

That IS my name after all. ;)

I applaud CGC for adding more shows for on-site grading. It's win for both the collector and the business.

Why does everyone assume CGC initiated this?

I already suggested this yesterday :baiting:

It's good to know we are always on the same page. :foryou:

Now let's get back to Roy telling us how this is Paradise ComicCon vs FanExpo all over again, cuz that doesn't seem like a stretch at all.

Jim