• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen books...What to expect?

74 posts in this topic

I stand corrected . I hadn't considered corruption in the actual system.

I believe "corruption" is the wrong word Kav (unless you're being petulant :) ), there are many, many laws on the books initiated by lobbyists - that's the way our system works.

My experience over several years working with pawn shops was that "buy back" usually was a minor issue, either due to victim gratitude in getting their property back, pawn shops not charging the victim, and/or insurance considerations.

I also know that many crooks were apprehended as a result of the B&P codes.

Your mileage may vary...

Twenty years ago, one of my neighbors stole a couple of my dads guns and sold them to a pawn shop. After we found them, and went to the shop with the police, my dad had to pay the shop what they had paid the thief, to get them back, even though they were my dads property. I am not sure how it is in the rest of the country, but here in Michigan that is how the police told us it works. If my dad did not pay the shop, then he would not have gotten his property back. This did not feel right to me.

On a side note, the thief that stole the guns was arrested for it on a Friday night just a few days after we recovered the guns. The judge had already went home for the weekend so the cops released the thief and told him to come back on Monday and the proper paperwork could be done. Well, after he got home he called me and was crying and said he did not want to go to jail, I told him it was out of my hands. Then of course he left the state and has never come back ever since. I'll still never understand why they released him after he told the cops yes he did take them and sell them for cig and booze money. So to this day he has a warrant out for his arrest.

I wanna say these were new or uninformed cops. That cannot be the law.

I wish it was not the law, but that is how it was explained to us. The detective at the police department told my dad that the pawn shop had to be reimbursed so they were not out any money and my dad would have to get the money back from the thief. I cannot remember if it was the Michigan State police or the county guys who handled our case. The pawn shop was in the next county over. It was not a large amount of money, around a hundred dollars or so. I told my dad it was probably worth it to be rid of the thief as he fled to Florida, the thief's sister told me, and never came back.

This is how it works in California too. Pawn Shops (lobbyist) have made it so that Victims have to pay second-hand dealers the purchase price to recover their stolen items. Some stores make it their policy to return stolen items to their rightful owners for free to avoid bad publicity. If (and that's a big if) a Suspect is arrested, the Victim can seek (and will usually get) restitution.

Correct - here in California, the lobbyists got a law on the books (Business & Professions Code) to "protect" the second-hand dealers who make their living handling such goods.

Purchases are documented via pawn slips, so the law is also intended to encourage pawn shops to work with the authorities in order to identify the perpetrators.

Seems like Michigan has a similar law.

Whether we agree with the law or not, there it is - those disparaging the police here via pure speculation simply don't know what they're talking about (par for the course these days, I know).

Many states have laws like this, which is absolute bs. Someone I know in the Midwest had a similar experience regarding several pinball machines stolen from a residence. He had photographic proof of serial numbers, a police report, and knew the pawn shop that had purchased them from the thief. The pawn shop would not release them to him unless they were reimbursed and the police acknowledged state law entitled them to this. It took months for him to get them back along with legal representation

I believe "corruption" is the wrong word Kav (unless you're being petulant :) ), there are many, many laws on the books initiated by lobbyists - that's the way our system works.

My experience over several years working with pawn shops was that "buy back" usually was a minor issue, either due to victim gratitude in getting their property back, pawn shops not charging the victim, and/or insurance considerations.

Your mileage may vary...

If everyone but pawn shops have to give stolen property back because they paid lawmakers to make that law then I'll stick with 'corruption'.

Your mileage may vary...

If everyone but pawn shops have to give stolen property back because they paid lawmakers to make that law then I'll stick with 'corruption'.

Fair enough, Kav - I'm not here to argue or even defend the law, only to explain it so that people can then hopefully make an informed decision.

There are burdens placed upon pawn shops that others do not have to follow (I mentioned the pawn slips example), so really it is a matter of give and take.

I worked with pawn shops for years, and the B&P codes were indeed very effective considering the totality of the circumstances.

In that case I changed my mind-it's not corruption but a necessary law based on the special challenges pawn shops face.

these weak on crime state laws dont change the ultimate reality, but its sad that they exist.

Essentially, they are moving the burden from the police, to the court system. With lawyers you could follow through on all of that, but it would obviously have to be worth the time and money to make it right. But those terrible laws might protect businesses, but they wont protect individuals.

The person who isnt you and buys it from the pawnshop, could still be forced to hand over the property.

Well dang if I didn't learn something new. After the pawnshop event I had figured that was the way things worked with any entity that had unknowingly bought stolen property, but after reading some of the posts here it sounds like the pawnshops are a different kind of beast when it comes to this sort of thing. Interesting.

Here is a list of the comics that Robert Mobley stole from me after begging for money for his brother's (Adam's) surgeries. He has scammed several people in the area and on E-bay. If he tries to sell them to you, please contact me or the police.

Thor #1 Zombie Variant Edition 0147598008

Thor #1 0147598004

All-Star Superman #1 0750271005

Civil War: the Return #1 0760381007

Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk #1 0720868010

Fallen Son: the Death of Captain America #3 0788855010

Check out the reviews for his supposed "shop" https://www.facebook.com/pg/Krypton-Comics-744832355547470/reviews/?ref=page_internal   There are pictures of them on my facebook post describing what happened. https://www.facebook.com/dominic.tartini  The police were contacted, and they said I would have to take him to small claims court, which would cost 225$, which, in comparison to the cost of the comics is not reasonable. 

-Dominic

DSCF1624.JPG

DSCF1625.JPG

DSCF1626.JPG

DSCF1628.JPG

DSCF1629.JPG

DSCF1630.JPG

It's been my experience with cops that they don't do anything unless the media is involved.  I dealt with them in Evansville Indiana regarding an ebay purchase from one of their citizens.  after a few months the investigating officer stopped speaking to me would not accept my calls and when I tried to complain I was ignored by the department.  CONTACT A LAWYER PERIOD