• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Did This Receive a 6.5?

36 posts in this topic

That's a Stan Lee signature.

:roflmao: Good one. Do you think it's possible they missed it ? Talking about buying the book and not the grade, this is a perfect example. I guarantee this book will never be re submitted again. Truly a gift grade.

I would say that they might have missed it (I didn't notice it when I first looked at your scan). That being said, this is one of those cases where not all 6.5's are created equal -- I am certain that this copy would sell for far less than any other 6.5 (and likely most non-hairy 5.0, 5.5, 6.0 copies).

I've seen notes on the label for detached centerfolds, tape, tears, minor glue, and foxing. This is major! It should appear right on the label in my opinion.
it's no more an issue than Marvel Chipping. As it's been said, buyers will pay less for a equally graded counter part. Remember that part about grading being subjective? How about you come up with a grade on it? I think aside from the pen marks, it's in solid condition for a GA book. Often times we see curve balls in grading that makes quite a challenge to pin point a single number. For instance a higher grade GA book with a 3 hole punch. It's much easier to stand on the sidelines and say you got it wrong grader than it is to grade it accurately yourself. Who's right?

it's no more an issue than Marvel Chipping. As it's been said, buyers will pay less for a equally graded counter part. Remember that part about grading being subjective? How about you come up with a grade on it? I think aside from the pen marks, it's in solid condition for a GA book. Often times we see curve balls in grading that makes quite a challenge to pin point a single number. For instance a higher grade GA book with a 3 hole punch. It's much easier to stand on the sidelines and say you got it wrong grader than it is to grade it accurately yourself. Who's right?

There's writing, there's scribble, there's a Stan Lee attempt at a signature, and finally there is writing analogous to using the comic as a coloring book. IMO, giving WW a hairy chest and legs is close to a complete degradation of the integrity of the cover. We should put this in a PGM thread. I would give it a VG+.

I've seen notes on the label for detached centerfolds, tape, tears, minor glue, and foxing. This is major! It should appear right on the label in my opinion.

I don't think I've seen tears or foxing (or rusty staples or cover tanning) noted on the label since they dropped the first generation slabs more than 10 years ago. At that point, they cut way back on the defects they note on the label.

There's writing, there's scribble, there's a Stan Lee attempt at a signature, and finally there is writing analogous to using the comic as a coloring book. IMO, giving WW a hairy chest and legs is close to a complete degradation of the integrity of the cover. We should put this in a PGM thread. I would give it a VG+.

(thumbs u

My guess is that they were thinking 7.5 and knocked a point off for the pen writing.

Yes.

6.5 is a classic drop grade for a VF range book with one moderate stupid thing done to it.

Like 5.0 is a classic drop grade for VFish books with a moderate sub-crease.