• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SICARIO 2: SOLDADO starring Benicio Del Toro (6/29/18)

16 posts in this topic

Sicario screenwriter explains why Emily Blunt isn't returning for the sequel

sicario-benicio-del-toro-slice-600x200.jpg

Emily Blunt will not be returning for the sequel, straight from screenwriter Taylor Sheridan.

“That was my decision, and at some point I’m going to have to talk to her about it,” he told The Wrap during an interview for the magazine. “Her arc was complete…I couldn’t figure out a way to write a character that would do her talent justice.”

Benicio Del Toro and Josh Brolin also starred, and both will be returning for the sequel.

“Look what she went through,” Sheridan continued. “It was a difficult role. Here I write this lead character and then I use her as a surrogate for the audience. I make her completely passive against her own will so the audience feels the same impotence that a lot of law enforcement officers feel, I drag her through hell, and betray her in the end. It was an arduous journey for the character, and for Emily. That character had arc.”

Soldado director Stefano Sollima said the film could be Part 2 of a three-part anthology, so perhaps there is hope for a Blunt return. For now, the actress will move onto Mary Poppins Returns for Disney.

Edited by Bosco685

Sicario sequel Soldado gets 2018 release date

Although the excellent Sicario was a modest hit at best ($84 million in worldwide box office against a $30 million budget), talk of a sequel started during the film's theatrical run and now that talk has turned into reality. The follow-up film, which will be titled Soldado, is moving forward with stars Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro expected to return.

Production is due to start on Soldado later this year, and Sony has now confirmed that it will open on June 29th 2018.

On 9/12/2017 at 8:22 PM, chrisco37 said:

Thought the first one was one of the best films I've seen in recent years. 

I agree, such an intense thriller. I hope this sequel measures up. I’ve never heard of the director (Sollima). The screenwriter (Sheridan) is the same that penned the original so that is good. They actually should have had Sheridan direct Soldato as well since he did such a great job with Wind River. Anyway, this is at the top of my list as far as next summers movies.

9 hours ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Is that a yes? I honestly don't know. 

Have you asked that in other threads where there was no comic book involvement, like 'A Quiet Place' or 'Get Out', or even 'Hardcore Henry' or 'Jurassic World'?

Honestly, I don't know.