• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about One-Above-All

31 posts in this topic

I think we're waiting for CBT to get his hands on a handbook. I also have the Marvel Encyclopedia at home. So I'll check that out as well in about an hour when I get home.

sorry, still not home, i will post when i get my hands on it, unless someone already has by then.

Here now, and have taken pictures of what I have. In the Handbook (I have it in a 3 volume reprinted TPB format) they have an actual entry for "One-Above-All", which I have taken pictures of and can post, but its the Celestial version, not "God".

Will check further to see if there is something in the original comic format that isnt included in my TPB collected reprint.

I just looked at an ebay auction with a slabbed sensational spider man 40. I was disappointed I didn't see "First Appearance of either "God" or "OneAboveAll." I think it'd be pretty funny to have a slabbed copy of the first appearance of "God"

ok, found the page they are talking about in marvel wikia.

f7KCgVG.jpg

First paragraph, History, says the same thing that is written on the wikia page. It appears as the lore of the Living Tribunal has evolved, they added its authority coming from "God".

Basically, the Classical understanding of God. If something exists in physical reality, it must necessarily have been "created". For something to be created, it must have a creator. By these rules, the Creator must be "uncreated" and not within the "creation". The word we use for the uncreated creator, is God. In this mythos, they are using the name "One-Above-All", but its essentially a rehashing of the historical logical arguments for the necessity of God.

Since the Living Tribunal is a being, it was created, and cannot be God. It is the most powerful being in creation, but still a creation. Hence, the necessity for it to have a creator (from which it derives its purpose and existence), the One-Above-All.

Bringing it back to comics, this Handbook differentiates them with dashes.

Celestial, is a being, has a name, "One Above All"

God, creator of the Living Tribunal, has no name, only a description of its essense, "One-Above-All", the dashes seemingly differentiating it as a descriptive, and not a name.

Edited by CBT

Sensational Spider-man Vol 2 #40 was an interesting issue to me when I first read it.

It was "telling" on a few levels.

It made me realize how good Spider-man could be even with Mary Jane.

It made me believe (still to this day) that there was division within the Marvel ranks as to whether or not they should split of Pete and MJ. Check out the ending of this book. B

BTW... this ranks up there with one of the better issues of Spider-man written in the last ten years. I saved a copy as part of my ASM collection even though it was outside that title. Pete goes through the usual Pete thing of questioning whether or not Spider-man is worth his personal sacrifice. Many issues have tackled the issue but it is here that Pete sees the impact he has made while walking the beach. It's a decent read and well worth its place in the Spider-man mythos.

8.jpg

Is there an actual appearance of the One-Above-All in that book, or is he just referenced. Wiki says that book is his first appearance but CBC slabs aren't showing it.

WOW. This thread is almost three years old. I've been searching for this answer since as well. From what I understand, the first actual "physical" appearance of the One Above All (non-Celestial) is in Sensational Spider-Man # 40. I've never seen a CGC graded copy of this comic though. Does CGC acknowledge on the label that this is the first appearance of the One Above All?

Not the first, but easily my favourite appearance of the One-Above-All...

4959970-ff511d.jpg

From Waid and Wieringo's great FF run.