• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spawn Variants

102 posts in this topic

Anyone know whats the best way to find new and upcoming spawn variants. Big fan of spawn and I've always liked the variant covers and now that I'm getting back into comics again I figured I'd start trying to pick those up as they come along (as long as they don't break the bank).

Also, I've been eyeing the Spawn #1 1997 B/W variant now for about a year and have been very reluctant to pull the trigger on it because I've yet to see a price point that I'm willing to pay. The last 9.8 sold on ebay for $800 and my concern is will this hold its value. Looking at other variants through out the series I've not ever seen another variant of the series sell for above $120 unless it was signed, or the #1 black ink error and the #102 blank variant. I would really hate to pull the trigger if I can get a #1 B/W 9.8 for that price and in a year or two see it below $500. Just curious what you guys think about it.

Thanks, for any comments / help as I get back into collecting and get a bit more understanding hopefully the noobish questions will be held to a minimum by me.

Cheers.

My guess would be pre-ordering a few months ahead from a place like DCBS would be the way to ensure you are covered on variants. As far as the prices for 9.8's, most are reasonable if you can hold out and catch them a year or two later. There are exceptions, of course. Wait until you discover the Kudranski variant to 222. Some of the homage sketch covers by McFarlane (221-231ish -- that's off the top of my head) are still a little pricey and then there's the numerous covers for 185, including the Portacio sketch which is almost as crazy as the Kudranski. Most are at least obtainable, but 222 and 185 can and will break the bank if you can even find one.

I tried to focus on Spawn for a bit, but had too many other things going at one time and had to drop off. I had a lot of fun discovering all the beautiful artwork I'd missed over the years and I'm sure you'll be amazed as well (thumbs u

I think answered this in another of your threads about variants in general, but here:

https://www.previewsworld.com/Search?q=spawn

that's diamond's catalog which retailers order from. The real variants should always appear there as they come out.

Faux variants (aka store/retailer/retailer collaboration group/etc variants) will not appear there. Whether you find value and validity in retailer/store variants is a heavily contested issue, but personally I would say stick to the "real" variants that come from the publisher.

Also, I've been eyeing the Spawn #1 1997 B/W variant now for about a year and have been very reluctant to pull the trigger on it because I've yet to see a price point that I'm willing to pay. The last 9.8 sold on ebay for $800 and my concern is will this hold its value.

Not attacking you so please don't be offended...

But comments like this always bother me. If you find a price you're willing to pay for the item then why would you be concerned about it holding it's value? Unless your purpose is to make a profit the price you're willing to pay is the worth of the item to you.

Go buy a raw copy then.

Great choice in books though. Spawn variants have always been cool items to have. I recommend Spawn 185 McFarlane headless variant and Spawn 250 McFarlane B&W variant. Great covers.

It is generally considered normal not to want to 'over pay' for something, so I can see where he's coming from, but the concept of 'it's worth what you'll pay for it' always applies.

The truth is somewhere in the middle of course as one influences the other.

Also, I've been eyeing the Spawn #1 1997 B/W variant now for about a year and have been very reluctant to pull the trigger on it because I've yet to see a price point that I'm willing to pay. The last 9.8 sold on ebay for $800 and my concern is will this hold its value.

Not attacking you so please don't be offended...

But comments like this always bother me. If you find a price you're willing to pay for the item then why would you be concerned about it holding it's value? Unless your purpose is to make a profit the price you're willing to pay is the worth of the item to you.

Go buy a raw copy then.

Great choice in books though. Spawn variants have always been cool items to have. I recommend Spawn 185 McFarlane headless variant and Spawn 250 McFarlane B&W variant. Great covers.

Its more about trying to find out what the community thinks about the price on the 9.8 spawn #1 B/W. If people are like yea that book is probably going to hold its value at $800 than I might be willing to pull the trigger but if people are like no man that should eventually come down from $800 then I'd probably wait. I get nobody is a fortune teller that can predict the market fully, but I'm guessing people on these boards have a better understanding of the market and its prices than I do which is why I was asking.

And to your comment about the #185 headless variant from what I can find there are 2 headless variants the Headless "Gun" variant and the Capullo variant which were you referring too.

My guess would be pre-ordering a few months ahead from a place like DCBS would be the way to ensure you are covered on variants. As far as the prices for 9.8's, most are reasonable if you can hold out and catch them a year or two later. There are exceptions, of course. Wait until you discover the Kudranski variant to 222. Some of the homage sketch covers by McFarlane (221-231ish -- that's off the top of my head) are still a little pricey and then there's the numerous covers for 185, including the Portacio sketch which is almost as crazy as the Kudranski. Most are at least obtainable, but 222 and 185 can and will break the bank if you can even find one.

I tried to focus on Spawn for a bit, but had too many other things going at one time and had to drop off. I had a lot of fun discovering all the beautiful artwork I'd missed over the years and I'm sure you'll be amazed as well (thumbs u

Yea I see a Kudranski variant sold for 2 grand on ebay back in september. would i like to have something like that? Of course who wouldn't but unless I got something like that during a pre-order release that would be out of the price range. Only willing to potentially drop the cash on the #1 B/W because I really really like the art on that book and have been eyeing it for quite some time.

Anyone know whats the best way to find new and upcoming spawn variants. Big fan of spawn and I've always liked the variant covers and now that I'm getting back into comics again I figured I'd start trying to pick those up as they come along (as long as they don't break the bank).

Also, I've been eyeing the Spawn #1 1997 B/W variant now for about a year and have been very reluctant to pull the trigger on it because I've yet to see a price point that I'm willing to pay. The last 9.8 sold on ebay for $800 and my concern is will this hold its value. Looking at other variants through out the series I've not ever seen another variant of the series sell for above $120 unless it was signed, or the #1 black ink error and the #102 blank variant. I would really hate to pull the trigger if I can get a #1 B/W 9.8 for that price and in a year or two see it below $500. Just curious what you guys think about it.

Thanks, for any comments / help as I get back into collecting and get a bit more understanding hopefully the noobish questions will be held to a minimum by me.

Cheers.

That's not a variant, it's a special edition reprint. The only variant (technically) for Spawn 1 is the Newsstand edition.

I'm also wondering with there being so many different variants out for every series of comics, is there a site that lists / shows every variant of a comic series that has been released. Meaning I could go to 1 site and see the cover of every spawn variant that has ever been done. Would be really cool to see what is out there not only for making purchasing decisions but also just to be able to see what has been done.

I'm also wondering with there being so many different variants out for every series of comics, is there a site that lists / shows every variant of a comic series that has been released. Meaning I could go to 1 site and see the cover of every spawn variant that has ever been done. Would be really cool to see what is out there not only for making purchasing decisions but also just to be able to see what has been done.

Here.

Here.

Thanks for that. I'm really digging the black and white variant of #185

Looking through DCBS, site isn't very user friendly, only see 2 spawn comics for #271 cover a and cover b. At a 1.99 each I'm guessing they aren't limited run variants but no real info on the cover b.

They've been doing so many variants/splits since 250. It's really getting old. I'm wondering if people are focusing on the black and whites so much that the typically boring colored versions will be a tad more desirable.

The non-B&W cover this month was pretty nice.

At least Larsen is done now.

Patrick

Looking through DCBS, site isn't very user friendly, only see 2 spawn comics for #271 cover a and cover b. At a 1.99 each I'm guessing they aren't limited run variants but no real info on the cover b.

Those are normal variants available via Previews Catalog that any LCS can order. Alas, Previews Catalog doesn't show a picture or cover artist (likely still TBD) so DCBS can't really post more info. DCBS is strictly a Previews pre-order service. They would sometimes have retailer-exclusive variants but they do that quite rarely.

They're really good if you want to buy monthly readers at deep discount. Not so much if you're after exclusive variant covers.

On SpawnWorld I list and show images of every Spawn comic ever released, along with info about each book.

Those are normal variants available via Previews Catalog that any LCS can order. Alas, Previews Catalog doesn't show a picture or cover artist (likely still TBD) so DCBS can't really post more info. DCBS is strictly a Previews pre-order service. They would sometimes have retailer-exclusive variants but they do that quite rarely.

They're really good if you want to buy monthly readers at deep discount. Not so much if you're after exclusive variant covers.

If I'm after exclusive variants for spawn is frankies and the comic mint the only places to find those?

....and then there's the numerous covers for 185, including the Portacio sketch which is almost as crazy as the Kudranski. Most are at least obtainable, but 222 and 185 can and will break the bank if you can even find one.

Actually...the Spawn 185 Portacio Sketch is far, far tougher than the Kudranski variant...or any other Spawn variant. Only 60ish were ever printed. Around 400-500 copies of the Kudranski variant were printed. And yes, both of these are wallet-busters. The last few public sales of 185 Sketch have been $3K.

Hado - you should definitely slab the Kudranski variant. It is relatively rare, valuable, and beautiful to boot.

OP - The Spawn 1 B&W seems to be holding value fairly well. It's a $600-$800 book all day long. I would buy it now, but realize that it's not nearly as rare as some of the other variants.

The best variants would be any of the 185s or the "homage" covers that were released a few years ago.

As mentioned by Lobstrosity, Spawnworld.com is the number one source for identifying Spawn collectibles.

I've been collecting Spawn books almost exclusively for the last 5 or 6 years and it has been a tremendous (and expensive) challenge to find them all in 9.8. I only have 9 books left to go before I complete my 9.8 or greater run of Spawn (all variants included) from issue 1 - 268. I can't stress how tough it's been...so for anyone trying, good luck!