• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2017 Amazing Comic Con Phoenix and Houston cancelled

16 posts in this topic

I just found out that the Amazing Comic Cons for Phoenix and Houston have been canceled for 2017. This was posted to their site as to why. Pretty disappointing for me as a local seller.

"In 2017, we have taken the both Arizona and Houston Conventions off our show schedule. Changes in guest policies, the comic market, and social climate were causes to re-evaluate moving forward in these cities. Phoenix and Houston are both strong fan communities with multiple genre celebrations throughout the calendar year. While we feel the perspective of Amazing Comic Conventions remains unique, where the Architects of Pop Culture are on the marquee, featuring primarily comic creators; we believe a greater attention can be built by focusing on each of two calendar dates, building these to be the best events possible."

Contraction in the number of comic shows was inevitable. Fan Expo has already reduced their number of Dallas shows by combining the early spring and "main" show. If Wizard doesn't follow suit voluntarily they will end up doing so out of necessity.

In 2017, we have taken the both Arizona and Houston Conventions off our show schedule. Changes in guest policies, the comic market, and social climate were causes to re-evaluate moving forward in these cities. Phoenix and Houston are both strong fan communities with multiple genre celebrations throughout the calendar year. While we feel the perspective of Amazing Comic Conventions remains unique, where the Architects of Pop Culture are on the marquee, featuring primarily comic creators; we believe a greater attention can be built by focusing on each of two calendar dates, building these to be the best events possible.

We are getting our asses handed to us.

In 2017, we have taken the both Arizona and Houston Conventions off our show schedule. Changes in guest policies, the comic market, and social climate were causes to re-evaluate moving forward in these cities. Phoenix and Houston are both strong fan communities with multiple genre celebrations throughout the calendar year. While we feel the perspective of Amazing Comic Conventions remains unique, where the Architects of Pop Culture are on the marquee, featuring primarily comic creators; we believe a greater attention can be built by focusing on each of two calendar dates, building these to be the best events possible.

Probably sums it up quite well.

The problem (in my opinion) is that big show promoters have blindly followed the celebrity and media guest platform and it's become beyond over saturated.

Not only that, guaranteeing egregious sums of money for guests is spelling doom for shows, especially when you end up paying out the money the guests didn't collect. That's 100% loss.

If shows actually told their guests "no, you're not worth $25k or $50k" or whatever these guys/gals were getting, it would reign in the out of control spending and you could promote a show with solid guests and realistic expectations.

WW established the model and let it spiral out of control....then they lost control of their company. They should have filed for bankruptcy and been done with it. Instead they're going to continue to limp along in 2017.

The problem (in my opinion) is that big show promoters have blindly followed the celebrity and media guest platform and it's become beyond over saturated.

Not only that, guaranteeing egregious sums of money for guests is spelling doom for shows, especially when you end up paying out the money the guests didn't collect. That's 100% loss.

If shows actually told their guests "no, you're not worth $25k or $50k" or whatever these guys/gals were getting, it would reign in the out of control spending and you could promote a show with solid guests and realistic expectations.

WW established the model and let it spiral out of control....then they lost control of their company. They should have filed for bankruptcy and been done with it. Instead they're going to continue to limp along in 2017.

did they hire new C-level officers to pull them out of their funk or bring in new ideas? If not, why would they or their investors think things will improve?

did they hire new C-level officers to pull them out of their funk or bring in new ideas? If not, why would they or their investors think things will improve?

A large investor (probably a hedge fund or private equity fund) provided them with a capital injection to weather the storm. In their quarterly filing, it stated that they didn't have enough cash to operate after 12/31/2016. Stock took a 20% dive down to like 15 cents or something. Doesn't matter to be honest.

As far as what they should do....pair back multiple shows and focus on the profitable ones. Problem is their overhead is so high that the few shows that are profitable may not be enough to keep them afloat.

A large investor (probably a hedge fund or private equity fund) provided them with a capital injection to weather the storm. In their quarterly filing, it stated that they didn't have enough cash to operate after 12/31/2016. Stock took a 20% dive down to like 15 cents or something. Doesn't matter to be honest.

As far as what they should do....pair back multiple shows and focus on the profitable ones. Problem is their overhead is so high that the few shows that are profitable may not be enough to keep them afloat.

Their model has been so obviously terrible for so long, I'm surprised they didn't have a long term plan. I thought they were TRYING to take losses for a few years while overextending to squeeze out the competition, then be the last man standing and reap the rewards.

It always sounded like an awful idea, but I assumed they had enough cash to give it an honest run. To employ that strategy without huge reserves makes me think that wasn't their strategy. Which brings up the larger question....what the F*** was their strategy? Sell millions of B-list celeb sigs/photos to the same people every year? Make people catch all the pop-vinyls like they're pokemon? I love Lou Ferrigno, but I only need 1 sig from him max, and I ain't paying Virgil $25 (wrestler) to sign a damn thing

Their model has been so obviously terrible for so long, I'm surprised they didn't have a long term plan. I thought they were TRYING to take losses for a few years while overextending to squeeze out the competition, then be the last man standing and reap the rewards.

It always sounded like an awful idea, but I assumed they had enough cash to give it an honest run. To employ that strategy without huge reserves makes me think that wasn't their strategy. Which brings up the larger question....what the F*** was their strategy? Sell millions of B-list celeb sigs/photos to the same people every year? Make people catch all the pop-vinyls like they're pokemon? I love Lou Ferrigno, but I only need 1 sig from him max, and I ain't paying Virgil $25 (wrestler) to sign a damn thing

I've been to many a WW show where celebrity after celebrity were standing in their booths and had ZERO fans. I walked up to Ferrigno and others, shook their hands and said thanks and that was it. Didn't cost me a dime and I know many of them never made their guarantee (from fans). So the show promoter has to cover that.

Not only that, WW fleeces you at the door....I mean, who really wants to pay $50+ for a Saturday ticket! Needless to say, whatever their model is, it is not effective at generating a profit.

Guess amazing saw the benefits of Hawaii. I was just starting to make plans for this show. I assume you'll be setup at the main Phoenix show, Ed?

I will be at the Memorial Day week-end show for sure. I am also in for the Long Beach Expo that is the same week-end as the canceled Amazing Con.

I have lots of new inventory so I needed another venue and was glad to be able to still return to LBCC Expo.

LMK which one you will be at.

The real reason they cancelled the shows?

They are both in "red" states.

I used to live in AZ, now happily in Seattle. However in response to the creators that said they will

Boycott conventions in Red States, that's a pretty weak reason and they are hurting devoted fans. It's a bit ridiculous, they can do whatever they like, it's their right, but to me, that seems petty. What about the fans that voted blue? What about the fans that are just as upset as they are?

My apologies if this is off topic and poorly timed. Just wanted to chime in as the above post reminded me.

As you were...

I didn't attend AACC in 2016 due to a rather stale guest list (virtually the same as 2015) and wouldn't have attended 2017 if it were the same. There are a lot of con choices throughout the year in Arizona and the southwest in general... Can't attend them all.

I didn't attend AACC in 2016 due to a rather stale guest list (virtually the same as 2015) and wouldn't have attended 2017 if it were the same. There are a lot of con choices throughout the year in Arizona and the southwest in general... Can't attend them all.

Anyone have a list of these shows? I haven't seen too many since moving out here and I don't see a lot on the find your creator/show thread.

The real reason they cancelled the shows?

They are both in "red" states.

Trump only got 35% of the vote in Houston. He got trounced here.