• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Less than NM+: Worthless?

77 posts in this topic

If everyone who is collecting is chasing HG, it feels like maybe, eventually, those 9.8s won't feel special anymore. Or the rising costs of slabbing, shipping, fees, etc. will eventually price more collectors out of that particular chase because more people are chasing the grade instead of the book.

--

"Everyone" isn't. Most folks buying slabs are because spending money shipping most 9.6ses seems pointless. Quadrillions of mere 9.0-9.4 raw moderns get sold as back issues every day. Not for big bucks, sure. Nobody wants to spend money.

Speaking for myself as a collector, if I want to HG collect something, I subscribe to 9.8 service so i dont have to deal with the hassle of subbing myself.

If I am trying to build a registry set, getting stuff to be signed, or acquiring keys/1st appearances, then 9.8 matters to me.

If i want a CGC slab of a modern, not a lot of point of getting a < 9.8 slab.

But for comics in general, that i want for my PC or to read, to store on my shelves, etc. As long as it is NM or better, its just fine. And, for older books, if i am not slabbing or competing on registry, then VF or better is good enough.

I don't think less than NM+ is worthless.

I think if you are in the business of turning a profit then you want to sell a book in that range for the best margin.

I think most people buy the odd book and don't want to go all in on a modern series because for the most part they will never be worth large $. Eventually a book in a series will be worth something but it's not worth buying loads of books to own that book. Therefore, publishers create gimmicks to entice a reason why you should have this or that particular issue.

Since I don't buy many moderns I will insist it's really high grade when I decide to get one so I imagine others will do the same too. Modern issues for the most part are printed far better than they have ever used to be and it should be fairly easy to find a good looking book. For back issues from 70s on, I can live with lower grades. Anything 9.0+ is pretty special.

I think if you are in the business of turning a profit then you want to sell a book in that range for the best margin.

I think most people buy the odd book and don't want to go all in on a modern series because for the most part they will never be worth large $. Eventually a book in a series will be worth something but it's not worth buying loads of books to own that book. Therefore, publishers create gimmicks to entice a reason why you should have this or that particular issue.

Since I don't buy many moderns I will insist it's really high grade when I decide to get one so I imagine others will do the same too. Modern issues for the most part are printed far better than they have ever used to be and it should be fairly easy to find a good looking book. For back issues from 70s on, I can live with lower grades. Anything 9.0+ is pretty special.

I think for Moderns, most of them are just quick flips of whatever happens to be the flavor of the week/month/season. I reckon NM+ or higher are pretty much the only desirable grades given majority of new releases are probably easy to get in NM 9.4. I know most books at my LCS are around 9.4-9.8 on Wednesdays and steadily creep down as days go by due to customer handling.

Sure, there are probably quite a number of moderns worth $10-20 on ebay but after ebay fees, PayPal fees, packaging costs, shipping costs, etc, I don't think selling the odd issue or so is worth it unless you dedicate a significant portion of your time towards buying/selling comics or make it a full time business. I know I barely have any free time to run errands and do chores and my to be read and to be watched lists are miles long.

Maybe decades down the line when current moderns are not so modern, select standout issues/titles will see significant appreciation and become relatively valuable down to, say, VF. However, guessing what those issues will be right now is pretty much like pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

I would never buy Modern slabs - for every 9.8 slab you can buy 10 raw 9.8s. I'd rather buy HG BA and SA that I've read a thousand time already. :grin:

I have like 30-40K comics and 200ish slabs. There is nothing wrong with getting books you love or 1st appearance books in 9.8. Really to me, any key that is bronze or newer that isnt 9.8, is just an undercopy waiting for a future upgrade ;)

I would never buy Modern slabs - for every 9.8 slab you can buy 10 raw 9.8s. I'd rather buy HG BA and SA that I've read a thousand time already. :grin:

I have like 30-40K comics and 200ish slabs. There is nothing wrong with getting books you love or 1st appearance books in 9.8. Really to me, any key that is bronze or newer that isnt 9.8, is just an undercopy waiting for a future upgrade ;)

Aren't you special . . . :grin:

C'mon man, untoggling you is a lot of work, make it worth while, you can do better.

Not into weenie wagging . . . :grin: I'm sure your collection is BETTA :roflmao:

Not it's not, my collection is very mundane, with nothing super valuable. There is some volume there, but most of it is dregs from purchased collections. You are projecting, and then arguing with yourself. There was no BSD going on at all in that comment.

C'mon man, untoggling you is a lot of work, make it worth while, you can do better.

Not into weenie wagging . . . :grin: I'm sure your collection is BETTA :roflmao:

Not it's not, my collection is very mundane, with nothing super valuable. There is some volume there, but most of it is dregs from purchased collections. You are projecting, and then arguing with yourself. There was no BSD going on at all in that comment.

:foryou:

I think for Moderns, most of them are just quick flips of whatever happens to be the flavor of the week/month/season. I reckon NM+ or higher are pretty much the only desirable grades given majority of new releases are probably easy to get in NM 9.4. I know most books at my LCS are around 9.4-9.8 on Wednesdays and steadily creep down as days go by due to customer handling.

Sure, there are probably quite a number of moderns worth $10-20 on ebay but after ebay fees, PayPal fees, packaging costs, shipping costs, etc, I don't think selling the odd issue or so is worth it unless you dedicate a significant portion of your time towards buying/selling comics or make it a full time business. I know I barely have any free time to run errands and do chores and my to be read and to be watched lists are miles long.

Maybe decades down the line when current moderns are not so modern, select standout issues/titles will see significant appreciation and become relatively valuable down to, say, VF. However, guessing what those issues will be right now is pretty much like pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

Sounds like we are in agreement. I do like moderns. They are printed better. The art can be exceptional.

For me the train wreck happened on the reboots. Particularly the lack of continual storyline. No matter how New 52 was going I was loyal and then they announced Rebirth and I was officially done.