• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Colon, Ploog, Sutton, Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf By Night & More!

11 posts in this topic

MONSTER ORIGINAL ART!

gXeL18.jpg

TOMB OF DRACULA Issue #18 Splash Page

Pg. 1; Gene Colan pencils, Tom Palmer inks; 11" x 17"

End Time: Wednesday 12/14/2016 7:53 PM EST

tom14.1418a.jpg

WEREWOLF BY NIGHT Issue #1 Splash Page

Pg. 1; Mike Ploog pencils, Frank Chiaramonte inks; 11" x17"

End Time: Wednesday 12/14/2016 7:56 PM EST

wer1.887a.jpg

WEREWOLF BY NIGHT Issue #5 Splash Page

Pg. 1; Mike Ploog pencils and inks; 11" x 17"

End Time: Wednesday 12/14/2016 7:57 PM EST

wer1.888a.jpg

Werewolf by Night #9 19 pages from this issue by Tom Sutton

Tom Sutton pencils, inks and signed

End Time: Wednesday 12/14/2016 Between 7:57 PM & 8:06 PM EST

wer1.891a.jpg

Fellow posters,

I agree that this should have gone to the Marketplace. However, it was an interesting auction coming on the heels of the HA and CL auctions. I was not sure how well these pages would hold up after collectors spent their money on the previous two auctions. However, just some observations here:

1. Starlin Avengers 107 page - appeared to be a good deal at $3,800,

2. FF 209 page - WTF!!!????? $17,700? This page sold for more than Byrne/Austin pages recently in the auction houses (including the X-Men 118 page in this very same auction),

3. All WWBN splashes and pages - prices here seemed to hold up well with all the inventory presented,

4. X-Men 118 page - Not a bad price, but I am wondering if the Byrne X-Men original comic art market is now stabilizing into the low to high teens for standard panel pages. While this page is not an Austin inked page, it is a Frank Chiaramonte inked page. He inked some of the early run Cockrum X-Men pages and is not a bad inker. I believe that this may have had a slight impact, but I think that the impact came more from the content on the page, and

5. X-Men 150 pages - Wow. Second (or later) run Cockrum pages selling in the five figures now? Granted, the splash and the interior page were new to the public market (I had not seen them advertised privately before this auction), but these results were truly unusual. I know that it takes only two bidders to drive prices into this astronomical range, but it is obvious that the demand was quite high for these pages if you look at the number of bidders involved. It will be interesting to see if these results portend something more ominous in the future with Cockrum's X-Men art (both first and second run). His second or later run is now consistently in the four figures with movement north, but I did not expect, nor anticipate, the desire for these two pages to achieve the values that they did.

More importantly, I wonder how future consignors will feel about the Comic Connect auctions. With the material and prices achieved in this auction, will they truly become a strong third option?

Ciao!

PRC

I would be interested in looking up some of the results, but I could not figure out how to do it on the Comicconnect website. I tried under "sold" items but could not get many of the recent sales.

Any suggestions?

Carlo

I let this one slip by without a glance, but am amazed by the reported result of the FF #209 page!

I'm having a tough time looking up results. Would some kind soul tell me what the Cockrum X-Men pages sold for?

DJ,

Mike Davis answered the question to Jeff Siedlik's query in another post for the final hammer price, separate from this one. The FF 209 page stunned and out-surpassed the other interior pages by Byrne and Cockrum.

To answer the other query, I am not sure how one queues up the past auction history if you do not bid. You may want to contact Vinnie Z. to see if they have that functionality available.

I had several marker bids, but I made strong plays for the Starlin Avengers (underbidder on that one) and the Byrne X-Men page (stopped at $11,000 - not the underbidder). Overall, as I previously posted, it will be interesting to see if this auction opens the gates.

Ciao!

PRC

What did the FF 209 semi-splash go for?

2. FF 209 page - WTF!!!????? $17,700? This page sold for more than Byrne/Austin pages recently in the auction houses (including the X-Men 118 page in this very same auction),