• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Fate of the Furious

40 posts in this topic

The series goes against the typical sequel trend in that the later films, 5 up, are the best.

Absolutely agree.

Fast Five is one of the best heist movies I've ever seen. It is the current generation's Ocean's 11 as far as storylines and fun go.

BOX OFFICE: THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS Set To Take Opening Weekend Record From STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS

XAFgtw5.png

The Fate of the Furious opened everywhere around the world a couple of days ago, and it's already set to take the record of highest grossing opening weekend ever from Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Furious 7 came out two years ago and made $1.5 billion worldwide. Now, its sequel is setting records around the globe. Box office analysts are saying that The Fate of the Furious could make up to a whopping total of $534.2 million. That would mean it would take the highest grossing worldwide opening weekend from Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($529 million). Whether or not that happens remains to be seen. It all depends on how Sunday performs. 

While the worldwide opening weekend may be unsure, Fast 8 is for sure taking the foreign opening weekend record from Jurassic World ($316.7 million) with a projected $430.4 million. It has already made $194.8 million overseas, most of which came from China where Fast 8 is projected to have a massive opening weekend of $190 million. 

Here in North America things are looking much less impressive for the eighth film in the franchise. It is projected to have a domestic opening weekend of only $103.8 million. To put things into perspective, Furious 7 opened to $147.1 million, and The Fast and the Furious 6 made $97.3 million stateside. So it's performing closer to the sixth film rather than the massive seventh film of the franchise. 

:whatthe:

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 1:52 AM, Buzzetta said:

Absolutely agree.

Fast Five is one of the best heist movies I've ever seen. It is the current generation's Ocean's 11 as far as storylines and fun go.

I thought it really started showing signs of maturity on the fourth movie, but part 5 galvanized the direction the series' direction from there on out.

You literally can jump on the series at part 4 and coast through without any backstory questions.

Watched the original on Telemundo, the other night. I still remember getting out of theater after seeing and all the kids tearing around the parking lot.

22 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

I thought it really started showing signs of maturity on the fourth movie, but part 5 galvanized the direction the series' direction from there on out.

You literally can jump on the series at part 4 and coast through without any backstory questions.

Watched the original on Telemundo, the other night. I still remember getting out of theater after seeing and all the kids tearing around the parking lot.

I actually like this series much better when they were not big budgeted and got hyped. The first one is a jewel. 

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

14 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

I still enjoy the original in a Dr. No way, now that we are getting Thunderballs in every movie.

Yep. Just too over-hyped for me now. I lost interest. I was one of this series biggest fans. Just seems like a money-grab now. I am sure it will do great at the box-office,but I will pass on it.

11 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Let us face it. It is not the same without Paul Walker. I don't plan on seeing this one. Time to move on.

You'd be wrong.

I saw Fate of the Furious last night and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

I've seen all of them except for 2 and 6.

I'd rank this one as either 2nd or 3rd.

Fast 5 is still the best -- it really was our generation's Ocean's 11, with a multicultural cast and triple-crosses.

And 1 is still re-watchable, even if you discount that it's a fairly blatant rip-off of Point Break.

This one was a great improvement on 7, despite lacking Paul Walker and Jordana Brewster. And it may surpass even the original for straight-out fun.

Why did it work?

• An interesting twist on the "family" motif that they've been bludgeoning us with over the past few films -- and is so integral to Vin Diesel's character's arc.
  • Two ridiculous set-pieces -- one with autonomous cars and the whole final sequence with the submarine. As bonkers as these were, nothing seemed as forced as it was in Furious 7 -- for which i credit F. Gary Gray's direction.
  • Charlize Theron was a worthy (and hot!) villain.
  • The interplay between Jason Stratham & The Rock was a fine substitute for prior chapters' interplay between Paul Walker & Vin Diesel, and later, Vin Diesel & The Rock.
  • Scott Eastwood is introduced as the new Paul Walker -- and did well in the role.

I realized while watching this that these films are so much fun that I'll watch the next 2-3 without hesitation.

And that they've accomplished *the* most difficult thing for franchises -- they're no longer dependent on the original cast.

The A-list stars of the franchise are now Vin Diesel, The Rock, Jason Stratham, Michelle Rodriguez, and Kurt Russell -- with support from Tyrese, Ludacris, Nathalie Emanuel, Scott Eastwood, and Helen Mirren.

Given how well this one was done, they're well on their way to a series that could continue to survive even without Vin Diesel (as they proved with 2 & 3).

My only complaint is that Lucas Black - who they *finally* brought back in Furious 7, appears in this chapter only via a brief phonecall.

Tokyo Drift (aka 3) was a far stronger chapter than folks give it credit for. It gets unfairly maligned simply because it didn't heavily feature Walker or Diesel.

13 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Tokyo Drift (aka 3) was a far stronger chapter than folks give it credit for. It gets unfairly maligned simply because it didn't heavily feature Walker or Diesel.

Actually that was one of my favorite ones. I liked it when it was more low key. I saw the one before The Fate of the Furious  and it was just a lot of car chases, and cars blowing up. It was ok,but I experienced 7 of these movies now. I don't see how the 8th will be a game changer. I am pretty sure there will be another one and another one. Good for them that they are making gobs of money with a successful franchise. I am just not interested in the series anymore. 

Fate of the Furious was fun entertainment. New car stunts and projectiles. Better than 'Power Rangers' movie but I can't compare to Ghost in the Shell live action movie, as did not see it yet. Some lapses in logic like ... how does a USA cell phone still work in a :whistle: northern Russia ice cap?

M3fGsMg.png

Weekend Projections: ‘The Fate of the Furious’ Set for Another $35M Domestic, $171M International Weekend

Friday Report: As expected, The Fate of the Furious easily retained first place yesterday with $11.2 million, down 75.5 percent from opening day last week. By comparison, Furious 7 eased 72 percent from its first-to-second Friday. Fate should ring up around $35 million domestically this weekend. On the international front, the film stands at $636.3 million through the end of Friday, while Universal is projecting an overall $171 million second weekend from 65 territories. That would push the overseas cume to $752.4 million by the end of Sunday for a staggering global haul of $912.8 million through the end of this weekend.

That is just incredible for a movie that was released 4/14/17.

And now this could lead to a spin-off.

Universal Is Considering a Spin-Off For THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS Costars Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham

150551.jpg

Sources are saying that Universal is planning to make a spin-off movie for The Fate of the Furious costars Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham. This is supposed to be the first of several planned Fast and Furious spin-off movies. Sources say that  Universal is planning to have a huge "cinematic universe" to follow in the footsteps of Marvel Studios and the DCEU. 

This planned spin-off is still in early development and is said to be written by Chris Morgan (The Fate of the Furious), the main writer of the franchise. The idea of this movie is for Dwayne Johnson's Agent Luke Hobbs to form a "close and unlikely relationship" with Jason Statham's Decker Shaw, who was the villain in Furious 7. Universal is still trying to figure out what to do for the main sequel to The Fate of the Furious.