• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Second Most Important Flash Book (of the Silver Age)

48 posts in this topic

My Four Flash Showcases

flash%20showcases_zpsgfhqp2gm.jpg

:applause:

Very very nice - I was planning to put that "mini-run" and a Green Lantern showcase "mini-run" together .... then I decided to buy a house (so the SC4 and SC22 became part of the downpayment :cry: ).

Yeah. 123 has been tepid for a long time, whereas 139 has serious heat of late. To me 123 is a much bigger key, but doesn't feel the love in the wallet as much as it should.

Agreed. #123 is of greater historical significance, but #139 is "sexier" as it has character gravitas.

A character first appearance is an easy thing to drive value. It doesn't hurt that #139 has a great purple cover. In this market that makes an easy win for #139 (and arguably it was way undervalued before this run-up). But I'm in complete agreement with the argument that #123 is by far the more important book. I just wonder if that historical value is hurt by the loss of the semi-cohesive DCU as a result of this pair of reboots.

I don't understand why Showcase #4 commands the price that it does. It's the Flash's first silver age appearance. Not his first appearance.

Why does Avengers #4 not sell for the same price that Showcase #4 does, it's kinda the same type of comic in my opinion.

What I am missing about Showcase #4? ???

I don't understand why Showcase #4 commands the price that it does. It's the Flash's first silver age appearance. Not his first appearance.

Why does Avengers #4 not sell for the same price that Showcase #4 does, it's kinda the same type of comic in my opinion.

No, it's not the first Silver Age appearance of the Flash, it's the first appearance of the Silver Age Flash (Barry Allen), a different character who is (obviously) based on the original Flash. The first Silver Age appearance of the (original) Flash is Flash 123.

EDIT: Plus the whole supply/demand equation for value and the books being many years apart.

Edited by Lazyboy

No, it's not the first Silver Age appearance of the Flash, it's the first appearance of the Silver Age Flash (Barry Allen), a different character who is (obviously) based on the original Flash. The first Silver Age appearance of the (original) Flash is Flash 123.

EDIT: Plus the whole supply/demand equation for value and the books being many years apart.

Not being a DC fan.....that makes sense. Thanks for the reply. I had no idea. lol.

Also, Showcase 4 is arguably the start of the Silver Age. It started a new direction and new version of older heroes that continued with Showcase 22 and Brave and Bold 28, which directly led to Marvel's FF, etc.

While I agree with many of the arguments above, I'd put Flash 106 above Flash 110 and even 117.

'Cuz Grodd rules.

Also, Showcase 4 is arguably the start of the Silver Age. It started a new direction and new version of older heroes that continued with Showcase 22 and Brave and Bold 28, which directly led to Marvel's FF, etc.

While I agree with many of the arguments above, I'd put Flash 106 above Flash 110 and even 117.

'Cuz Grodd rules.

Not to mention #106 is incredibly difficult in any sort of decent grade.