• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC et al To Aggressively Defend Against Lawsuit Filed In Pennsylvania
11 11

584 posts in this topic

Good news all round. 

I can't help but notice that the judge's opinion is VERY damming regarding the Meyers' techniques and processes. Very eye-opening. 

3 minutes ago, spidermanbeyond said:

Amazing read.  Every collector should read the court report.  The most scary part is where CGC states that they could not tell where restoration and recreation starts because of the extensive work done on the books.

Kudos to CGC for admitting that, and drawing a line between restoration and recreation.  

I read most of it and definitely great news to the defendants!  Very interesting read and a lot of information on what has been happening with this case.  The Meyers restoration techniques (if you can even call it restoration) is on its own level.  The fact that it is almost impossible to tell which parts are of the actual book and which are artificially done is scary to think.  Also, the aggressive nature of the restoration: unnatural feel, feels like cardboard, heavy gloss, etc.  Can you imagine how a buyer would feel about this without any knowledge of the techniques and agents/chemicals are used on their book? Looks like a recreation rather than restoration..  Uhh golden glue? never heard of it and don't want to know what it does to a comic.  CGC even mentioned that they caught a fake cover on one of the books..   Unreal..

I liked how Heritage mentioned that their restored books should be placed in a different colored label exclusive only to IGB or books of this restorative practice.  

1 minute ago, Dark Knight said:

I read most of it and definitely great news to the defendants!  Very interesting read and a lot of information on what has been happening with this case.  The Meyers restoration techniques (if you can even call it restoration) is on its own level.  The fact that it is almost impossible to tell which parts are of the actual book and which are artificially done is scary to think.  Also, the aggressive nature of the restoration: unnatural feel, feels like cardboard, heavy gloss, etc.  Can you imagine how a buyer would feel about this without any knowledge of the techniques and agents/chemicals are used on their book? Looks like a recreation rather than restoration..  Uhh golden glue? never heard of it and don't want to know what it does to a comic.  CGC even mentioned that they caught a fake cover on one of the books..   Unreal..

I liked how Heritage mentioned that their restored books should be placed in a different colored label exclusive only to IGB or books of this restorative practice.  

Please note that at no time did CGC, or anyone to my knowledge, ever catch a "fake cover" on of the Meyers' books.

13 hours ago, comicdonna said:

Kudos to CGC for admitting that, and drawing a line between restoration and recreation.  

The problem is that the pages are encased in color touch and added gloss, basically making them thick and laminated. Unless the cover shows some sign of being a photocopy, they can't get to the underlying paper to see what is vintage.

12 hours ago, Mark Zaid said:

Please note that at no time did CGC, or anyone to my knowledge, ever catch a "fake cover" on of the Meyers' books.

Just likely mostly not real? Which is the point. These probably were not coverless books, but they could have been .5s with huge chunks missing that got replaced and the quadruple gloss method made it impossible to determine where the fake started.

Edited by the blob

Yikes. I haven't seen many negative things on behalf of CBCS before, but this concerns me a little now. Idk who thought that this lawsuit would succeed on behalf of the accusers. Good on CGC for not only defending themselves, but doing so "aggressively". This clearly shows why they're the best in the business.