• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Centaur a day...Funny Picture Stories 2/5 upgrade
4 4

1,275 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Funny Picture Stories 2/5

This was one of the last 2 books I needed to complete the publisher. My first go around I had a copy but this time this book proved to be a difficult acquisition 

thanks to a buddy who helped me procure, as he had owned the book for about a dozen years before he was willing to part to me for the cause  

IMG_4739.JPG

Another well dressed girl on a Centaur :smile:

5 hours ago, comicjack said:
9 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Funny Picture Stories 2/5

This was one of the last 2 books I needed to complete the publisher. My first go around I had a copy but this time this book proved to be a difficult acquisition 

thanks to a buddy who helped me procure, as he had owned the book for about a dozen years before he was willing to part to me for the cause  

IMG_4739.JPG

Another well dressed girl on a Centaur :smile:

Facial expression kind of reminds me of Joan Crawford. hm

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Funny Picture Stories 2/6

recently upgraded from last cc auction but this is my soon to be former copy

IMG_4740.JPG

If my limited Centaur knowledge is correct, this one is regarded as the 'first' Centaur?

1 hour ago, sagii said:

If my limited Centaur knowledge is correct, this one is regarded as the 'first' Centaur?

It's the first release under the official centaur publisher, yes

I don't know if you already stated your intent but are you going to keep your complete collection intact and upgrade over time or will you at some point let it go? 

Seems a shame to ever break it up now. Maybe 50 years from now when comics are encased in force field bubbles its hologram label could read "Gator pedigree"...

29 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

I've always been attracted to this cover (I have the Church double-slash), it's also the cover on the laundromat giveaway. 

I'll post the laundromat giveaway at the end of this sequence 

12 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Funny Picture Stories 2/7

IMG_4741.JPG

I find it interesting that Centaur went from starting this title in 1936 with a series of 7 straight crime and otherwise serious-themed covers, and then moved to humor/children-focused covers.  DC took the exact opposite approach with its titles during the same time frame.  I guess that may explain the differing fates of the two publishers.

9 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I think distribution was their biggest problem. Content looks pretty good in many cases.

That's pretty well establis:cry:hed 

During those war years having a good connection for paper and being able to distribute it was the key. 

Even decades later companies and comic titles died without being able to get "out there".