• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DW (Dreamwave) Transformers Thread
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I know that there is a great IDW Transformers thread, but as they don't like to discuss DW Transformers I thought I just start one.

I started back into comics in my 20's because of the Transformers series that came out. I, like many, love the Transformers and I really liked the artwork and colors that took me back to a kid watching the cartoons after school. I actually met both Pat and Chris at a Botcon in Indiana and had some books signed at that time. I was a huge fan of the series and still have all the books I bought off the shelf.

I didn't learn of the business dealings and the reason the company went out of business until much later after I had gotten out of comics again. It's unfortunate that things ended as poorly as they did from a business standpoint, but if it wasn't for this company's resurgence of a dead comic brand there wouldn't be IDW and their incredible series.

I'm showing a couple of my recent books I've just received back from CGC. Feel free to share yours or any questions/comments you may have on Dreamwave's Transformers.

20161226_215125_zpssggtzoe3.jpg

20161226_215258_zpswqtu6dsn.jpg

20161226_215401_zpsyoans6xe.jpg

20161226_215436_zpslnzj5lal.jpg

Nice slabs. I have a few myself. Some are CGC, some CBCS, just kind of depends where I picked them up. I'm still working on a few of the issues for some of the various series.

I'll have to go back and reread these series, but I will say that the G1 series really rekindled my love for the Transformers brand in the early 2000s. I really liked the art because it was definitely so different and detailed from the Marvel series that preceded it. I remember liking the second mini series War & Peace a lot. The War Within stuff had a cool concept as well. I'll post up some of my CGC slabs if I get time. Cool thread. I meant to get it started, but you got it going. Kudos.

Yeah, overall I'd say the DW stuff was not good. At the time I was all kinds of happy for a new TF series, as the Marvel one was what I grew up with, and started my comic collection!

I seem to remember DW saying that their series were to fill in the gaps from the old cartoon season 2 and the movie, buy the 1st mini blew that out of the water as the supposedly killed off Wheeljack and the Aerialbots, if I remember correctly.

I ended up really liking the Armada/Energon series a lot! That was probably the only one I missed after they went under.

Yeah, overall I'd say the DW stuff was not good. At the time I was all kinds of happy for a new TF series, as the Marvel one was what I grew up with, and started my comic collection!

I seem to remember DW saying that their series were to fill in the gaps from the old cartoon season 2 and the movie, buy the 1st mini blew that out of the water as the supposedly killed off Wheeljack and the Aerialbots, if I remember correctly.

I ended up really liking the Armada/Energon series a lot! That was probably the only one I missed after they went under.

Yup, but then Wheeljack was in "Stasis" in the next volume.

I read them, and agree with mec a lot of these weren't all that great but the hype of a G1 book made it interesting. War Within was written by Simon Furman who closed out the Marvel run, Gen 2, and then Regen One finishing the Marvel G1 series they way he wanted to before getting canceled. He also continued with the next company to establish the universe.

DW had some cool concepts.

Loved the first mini series from DW...... I still remember the Wizard Magazine where "Pat Lee" showed DW's art pitch to Hasbro for the license. To this day, I don't know if Pat Lee really did that art or if it was James Ruiz or Don Figueroa.

Loved the first mini series from DW...... I still remember the Wizard Magazine where "Pat Lee" showed DW's art pitch to Hasbro for the license. To this day, I don't know if Pat Lee really did that art or if it was James Ruiz or Don Figueroa.

I still have that Wizard. It's was a salute to 80s issue and Pat Lee did an awesome Transformers. Thundercats, GIJOE, and Battle of the Planets along with others were also showcased.