• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Local Comic Shops (LCS) necssary for the hobby to prosper?

103 posts in this topic

Absolutely necessary, maybe not. Super appreciated... yes, forever.

We are fortunate that this hobby has more to offer than commodities trading. The LCS is a hub and symbol for our community.

You hit the nail on the head but I feel this hobby has turned into commodity trading. The success of comic-cons is directly related to vintage books or modern toy collectibles, not current newsstand offerings. Digital sales and increasing $3-4 single issue prices are all driving most collectors away from weekly visits to the shop.

Now I will caveat this by saying that I have not bought a raw comic since 1983. Prior to 1983, I spent WAY too much time in my two LCS (Queen City Comics and Grant Comics) here in Buffalo. My career took my on another path and I just rekindled my passion this past year.

Over the past 9 months I have had the pleasure of buying Sketch covers, CGC graded issues that I wish I would have bought and newer SS issues that look like ones that I will want to keep. I also lamented the many issues I sold in that year (NM copies of TOS 39, Avengers 1,X-Men 1, Hulk 1, and Conan 1-50). I am also grading and selling the many thousands of comics that I bought in the 70's and 80's. At first, I was upset that I never put backing boards on my issues until a year ago, but then I realized that 99% of all of them came back White Pages. Now, I am not so upset with my lapse in judgement.

As far as that likely 9.4-9.6 TOS #39... If you were the dealer that bought this copy in 1982-83 at a Buffalo airport hotel for 120.00, please let me know how it turned out. I bought it for 40.00 and was happy for the sale, but would love to know what happened to it.

Over this past 6 months, my LCS owner (Emil at Queen City Comics) has been such a great help with supplies and suggestions for my new hobby. I look forward to the future of this hobby online and in person.

So, YES to LCS support!

Don't forget Norm from Fantasy World on hertle Ave

I don't remember Fantasy World?? I spent my comic buying time with Dominic at Grant's Books (Hertel near Colvin) and Emil (When Queen City comics was still on Bailey). Both places were amazing for me. I moved out of town in 1983, so if this was after that, I wouldn't have known about it.

Ahhhh yes, those were the days. Fantasy World on Hertle opened in about 1986 or so if memory serves

167352.png.9d3fe8949b0dce6f246ee877f0bd5825.png

167353.jpg.d8a2fe2696ffe6e6beb49533c75e327d.jpg