• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modern ASM #667 variant sells for $9K

429 posts in this topic

Jaydogrules is the supreme champion of "If it's not public, it didn't happen" and "If it's not recorded (in the right place), it doesn't exist."

Hi RMA. :hi:

This is supposed to be a quote from me?

That's funny because I have literally never said this or anything remotely like this.

-J.

I wish I could find that Sandman #8 Editorial Thread where you (basically) refused to acknowledge the existence of any copy that wasn't on the census. :baiting:;)

You were nice to me today, you can have a nice thing back :)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8040467#Post8040467

Already posted. [/quote

Missed that. Forgot it went down in that thread. Thanks.

And, thanks Jaybuck for posting as well (I try to be nice to everyone most of the time - even Jaydog!)

This 'reported' sale is pure BS.

I simply don't believe it, nor does GPA recognize it.

Yeah, That's what sucks about private sales. GPA doesn't record it.

I think GPA is a good starting point but it is not a complete data set. It misses many eBay sales, nor does it get several auction sites results. I subscribe most of the time but IMO it isn't even close to getting an accurate picture of sales overall. I track the books I'm interested with ebay, CC, CL, P, and HA myself. It is where I start for a quick look, especially if it is something that is out of my wheelhouse of knowledge.

I've been using GPA for years - I'm fairly certain they don't "miss many eBay sales" (seeing that they grab their eBay data directly from the eBay API).

Of the other sites you mention, isn't clink the only one they don't get sales data from?

Where did Iron-Man sell for $15000? Comic Connect? That's not on GPA. I use them too, I am just saying it isn't the end all be all. I don't know what data they collect or from where. It isn't listed on their website (at least I didn't find it) which would be helpful.

GPA probably does pull from the eBay database directly with their API, I certainly hope it does, but code and the conditionals and how it parses data are things that can have errors in it. I also which they would expand their data collection to include CBCS books.

Where did Iron-Man sell for $15000? Comic Connect? That's not on GPA. I use them too, I am just saying it isn't the end all be all. I don't know what data they collect or from where. It isn't listed on their website (at least I didn't find it) which would be helpful.

Here you go:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=689571&title=IRONMAN

Still find it a little bit :o , but I guess we really shouldn't with some of the prices we've seen even for raw GA beaters nowadays. (shrug)

I think GPA is a good starting point but it is not a complete data set. It misses many eBay sales, nor does it get several auction sites results. I subscribe most of the time but IMO it isn't even close to getting an accurate picture of sales overall. I track the books I'm interested with ebay, CC, CL, P, and HA myself. It is where I start for a quick look, especially if it is something that is out of my wheelhouse of knowledge.

I've been using GPA for years - I'm fairly certain they don't "miss many eBay sales" (seeing that they grab their eBay data directly from the eBay API).

Of the other sites you mention, isn't clink the only one they don't get sales data from?

GPA probably does pull from the eBay database directly with their API, I certainly hope it does, but code and the conditionals and how it parses data are things that can have errors in it. I also which they would expand their data collection to include CBCS books.

As far as I know the sites listed under "BUY / CONSIGN CGC COMIC BOOKS" on the homepage are the sites they get data from - which includes Comic Connect :shrug:

With the auction/ dealer sites, however, GPA has to wait for the sites to report the sale - which usually doesn't happen until after the book has been paid for. Which is why GPA isn't instantly updated with every sale that happens on an auction / dealer site.

In regards to eBay, from my experience the only eBay sales that don't show up on GPA are the obvious fake ones.

As far as I know the sites listed under "BUY / CONSIGN CGC COMIC BOOKS" on the homepage are the sites they get data from - which includes Comic Connect :shrug:

In regards to eBay, from my experience the only eBay sales that don't show up on GPA are the obvious fake ones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIANT-SIZE-X-MEN-1-8-0-1ST-NEW-X-MEN-CREAM-TO-WHITE-PAGES-1975-/371821286126?hash=item56924692ee%3Ag%3AsB4AAOSw241YXFTm&nma=true&si=s3eXH0XHr9EMGoHdM%252F5UtgS%252Bpw8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I verified the serial with CGC, looks legit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIANT-SIZE-X-MEN-1-8-0-1ST-NEW-X-MEN-CREAM-TO-WHITE-PAGES-1975-/371821286126?hash=item56924692ee%3Ag%3AsB4AAOSw241YXFTm&nma=true&si=s3eXH0XHr9EMGoHdM%252F5UtgS%252Bpw8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Look at the title - it wasn't listed as a CGC'ed book.

Indeed it doesn't so if the code is set up to only look at tiles and not the body I would say that is flawed. But my statement is true. GPA does not capture all of eBay CGC sales. it took 5 minutes to find this example if that. What someone said about other auction sites not giving data until paid for could very well be the case. It would be nice to know the parameters. In any case to say that GPA captures ALL eBay CGC sales is incorrect. When George wakes up in Australia or wherever he lives I am sure he will shed some light onto it.

3 or 4 guys fighting over a copy of a book that 99% of collectors either can't afford or don't want, doesn't make a book hot. Throw 10 copies of this book on eBay for $5000 each and you'd be lucky to sell more than 2.

If u mean 10 of the existing 14 copies in 9.8, not 10 new copies, then yes I might buy them all. I'd be down for at least 3-5 of these copies in 9.8 and I wouldn't be alone. A more difficult task is getting 10 of the current owners to part with their copies for $5k.

The market is way bigger than 3-4 guys for a 9.8 let alone any copy of this book which is the only reason demand is so high for this book. If you have at least 50 OCD ASM completists looking for a 9.8 W, you can see the dilemma.

Never underestimate the rationale of an ASM completist. If one of these completists has an AF15, ASM 1-700 complete with variants (including all 666 variants) minus the dell otto 667, how much do u suppose that must be driving them nuts. $9k is way cheaper than therapy with a psychiatrist to cope with this hole in their lives. Now imagine just how many asm completists there must be out there looking for this book in ANY grade? Id say it's a multiple of the existing graded copies and likely more than the remaining raw copies. Unless there's some unicorn of a wharehouse find of this book somewhere it's going to continue to command high prices -not necessarily higher than 9k but when a copy sold for over 3k most said that was the peak. Let's see if that sale brings out any more... :wishluck:

Indeed it doesn't so if the code is set up to only look at tiles and not the body I would say that is flawed. But my statement is true. GPA does not capture all of eBay CGC sales. it took 5 minutes to find this example if that. What someone said about other auction sites not giving data until paid for could very well be the case. It would be nice to know the parameters. In any case to say that GPA captures ALL eBay CGC sales is incorrect. When George wakes up in Australia or wherever he lives I am sure he will shed some light onto it.

Nobody's disputing that there won't be weird outliers - this book, for instance, doesn't say "CGC 8.0" in the title or the description. Nor does it use eBay's micro-data to specify that it's a CGC'ed book.

Heck, if you tried to search for this book using "CGC 8.0" on Google, it wouldn't pop up either.

It's no different than if an eBay seller completely misspells the title of a book - it's unrealistic to assume that any automated pricing analysis tool out there can successfully compensate for every single human error we can think of.

But I still don't agree with your original statement that GPA "misses many eBay sales". I'm sure they miss some, but compared to the amount of data they do record, I'd venture a guess and say it's a tiny fraction.

Nobody's disputing that there won't be weird outliers - this book, for instance, doesn't say "CGC 8.0" in the title or the description. Nor does it use eBay's micro-data to specify that it's a CGC'ed book.

Heck, if you tried to search for this book using "CGC 8.0" on Google, it wouldn't pop up either.

It's no different than if an eBay seller completely misspells the title of a book - it's unrealistic to assume that any automated pricing analysis tool out there can successfully compensate for every single human error we can think of.

But I still don't agree with your original statement that GPA "misses many eBay sales". I'm sure they miss some, but compared to the amount of data they do record, I'd venture a guess and say it's a tiny fraction.

I simply disagree.

I just want to gloat that I was the winner of the last sub 1000$ eBay sale for this book a few years back. I had an eBay alert set about 6 months after the book was printed and it took a full year to show up. This was before people knew it was crazy rare and even still, I paid about 300-400$ more than the previous sale. To add frosting, it graded 9.8 despite the auction saying it was a NM (9.4) copy with a mildly dinged corner.

I dont understand why so many people hate on this book here when it is clearly impossibly rare and isn't the run of the mill variant . Manufactured collectible or not, there will always be a spiderman completist out there (myself included) and this book, as mentioned before, is harder to find than a AF 15. Will it sustain 10K prices... who knows. I took my 9.8 to Megacon (Orlando) this year and some dealers asked if I would part with it, knowing full well the solitary 10K sale at the time. The price is real and unless marvel finds 200 more of them sitting in some shipping box and decides to give them out as a gift at some corporate meeting, I think it will maintain an obnoxious price for quite some time.

If you want a even harder ASM book to find, look for the dingo boots give-away in high grade... probably even less copies of that book exist and I can't remember if there are any 9.8's.

Jay Dog, I liked your link to the hardest to find/>1000$ variant list.

This thread reminds me of when WD 1 was going for 1000$ and people were screaming bloody murder that that price was so stupid they couldn't fathom it and now the book still exists higher than that price years later despite all the nay sayers.

When another ASM 667 DO 9.8 goes to auction in 3-4 years and sells for 12K, won't you think, damn 9K isn't so bad now is it :/

Something is only worth what somebody else is willing to pay for it. There is nothing wrong with two people mutually agreeing to exchange that kind of money on a Modern variant. You want it....go buy it. You want to sell it....go sell it.

I think 99% of us on the boards would much rather put that money into Gold/Silver/Bronze Age stuff.

I just think this has the 1990's written all over it, and they are MANUFACTURING collectibles, instead of letting something BECOME collectible. There is a difference, and it's too soon to tell if this will last the long haul.

I dont understand why so many people hate on this book here when it is clearly impossibly rare and isn't the run of the mill variant . Manufactured collectible or not, there will always be a spiderman completist out there (myself included) and this book, as mentioned before, is harder to find than a AF 15. Will it sustain 10K prices... who knows. I took my 9.8 to Megacon (Orlando) this year and some dealers asked if I would part with it, knowing full well the solitary 10K sale at the time. The price is real and unless marvel finds 200 more of them sitting in some shipping box and decides to give them out as a gift at some corporate meeting, I think it will maintain an obnoxious price for quite some time.

What do you consider "run of the mill variant *spoon*"?

Where is the line between said variants and this variant? I'm genuinely curious.

What do you consider "run of the mill variant *spoon*"?

Where is the line between said variants and this variant? I'm genuinely curious.

The line is somewhere in between "need it" and "got it" :D

:roflmao:

All this thread has done is to take my lone ASM slabbed variant that I own and offer it up for sale at a 333% markup over the GPA average.

I wanna see what happens.

I think the variants that have deadpool's head in the corner of a book that isn't even his are #$%^ variants, as are the variants that don't even feature the character of the book on the cover. Ie putting luke cage as the variant cover to an Xmen book and call it a netflix variant makes no sense to me.

The Del'otto is probably the rarest, in number continuity, ASM variant and it was a fluke that the production numbers were so low. I don't think marvel made that variant to see how expensive it would get, nor could anyone have predicted that price when it came out.

I believe that despite what Jaydog claims that there is a warehouse out there with a few cases full of them.

lol Well that would be miraculous since there was only one case pack of 225 produced (of which many were rumoured to have been damaged during distribution). (thumbs u

-J.