• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

I'm not trying to be ultra negative here, but this film looks like trash, and the same old borderline garbage that FOX has been giving us. The only good thing going for it is that it looks like Mystique dies! :banana: 

Can't believe how FOX butchered the S out of this franchise. All of the ingredients and recipes (characters/original story lines) were laid out right in front of them, yet time and time again they deviated from it. Overall, these X-Men movies have some of the worst story writing, and if it wasn't for Hugh Jackman, they wouldn't have been nearly as popular. 

Furthermore, why the bleep would they even touch the Dark Phoenix saga? Don't they realize that the story only works in it's entirety, and not out of context? Did they not learn anything from the Last Stand? Good grief FOX. Good grief.  

Edited by Darkowl

4 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

I'm not trying to be ultra negative here, but this film looks like trash, and the same old borderline garbage that FOX has been giving us. The only good thing going for it is that it looks like Mystique dies! :banana: 

Can't believe how FOX butchered the S out of this franchise. All of the ingredients and recipes (characters/original story lines) were laid out right in front of them, yet time and time again they deviated from it. Overall, these X-Men movies have some of the worst story writing, and if it wasn't for Hugh Jackman, they wouldn't have been nearly as popular. 

Furthermore, why the bleep would they even touch the Dark Phoenix saga? Don't they realize that the story only works in it's entirety, and not out of context? Did they not learn anything from the Last Stand? Good grief FOX. Good grief.  

I saw it coming.

'I don't mean to be negative, but...' :nyah:

1 hour ago, Darkowl said:

Is Storm taking the Momo challenge with those eyes?

It will enjoy the Marvel bump but unfortunately I believe that despite an interesting cast and possibly well crafted storyline, that it will suffer from fatigue.

Sony's Amazing Spider-man 2 did not perform up to expectations which is one of the reasons it led to the Marvel deal.  Can you imagine how it would have performed if people had known that Marvel itself was rebooting the character before the movie was released. 

Now, I get it that most of these movies are not made for the comic fans that come to the boards so whether or not the Disney Fox deal will me a major impact on this movie will only be told upon its release. However, while I want to see this, I am not as interested as I think I would have been if I knew that a reboot was immediately imminent. It sort of makes the characters feel as if they do not matter as much.

Fox needs someone to kick them dead in the arse, as that International Trailer #2/Domestic Trailer #3 it released and then pulled down and now re-released is going over much stronger with reviewers.

That Domestric Trailer #2 is edited in a way scenes seem out of synch.

Edited by Bosco685

On 3/5/2019 at 6:04 PM, Darkowl said:

^^

17 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Fox needs someone to kick them dead in the arse, as that International Trailer #2/Domestic Trailer #3 it released and then pulled down and now re-released is going over much stronger with reviewers.

That Domestric Trailer #2 is edited in a way scenes seem out of synch.

The excitement spreads beyond the USA. :insane:

Edited by Bosco685

27 minutes ago, bane said:

As much as I have liked the new X-Men movies I’m not seeing anything here to make me rush to the cinema.

It may not work for everyone. For me with that Trailer #3 it gives me hope. But again, it's just a trailer. The full package will land soon. :wishluck:

Sophie Turner Calls New X-Men Movie "'Dark Phoenix' Done Right"

Speaking to Rolling Stone, Turner calls the new film “‘Dark Phoenix’ done right.” She goes on to add, “Every other scene in Dark Phoenix is, like, the most intense scene I’ve ever done.”

In a previous interview, Turner acknowledged the pressure to get "The Dark Phoenix Saga" right this time around. "Yes a lot of pressure," she said. "I knew Simon [Kinberg, writer and director] was taking me out to lunch and he sits me down and tells me it’s Dark Phoenix and I’m like 'f*****k." I know it's one of the most loved stories of the X-Men universe and for Simon to trust me enough with this responsibility is a big honor. And I want to do the fans of the original story justice, and of course, there’s a lot of pressure especially having been done before. Simon would tell you that it was a B-plot of the movie and he felt it had to be the main plot of the movie."

In Dark Phoenix, "The X-Men face their most formidable and powerful foe when one of their own, Jean Grey, starts to spiral out of control. During a rescue mission in outer space, Jean is nearly killed when she's hit by a mysterious cosmic force. Once she returns home, this force not only makes her infinitely more powerful, but far more unstable. The X-Men must now band together to save her soul and battle aliens that want to use Grey's new abilities to rule the galaxy."

On 3/13/2019 at 5:25 PM, bane said:

As much as I have liked the new X-Men movies I’m not seeing anything here to make me rush to the cinema.

I think it`s because of fatigue. Didn`t we already have a Phoenix saga before ?

These 4 sets of comic books franchises are very hard to pull off consistently.

Hits or misses with them.

X-Men

Superman

Batman

Spider-Man

In this stage in my life I rather watch superhero movies based on less known characters.

That`s most likely why I enjoyed Aquaman,GOTG,DEADPOOL,Black Panther and Captain Marvel much more.

Fatigue overall with X-MEN,SUPERMAN,BATMAN and Spider-Man movies. 

Just hard to tell new interesting stories with them.

Maybe Marvel will right the ship with the X-men but other than a few Wolverine movies and a couple of X-Men movies overall the series isn't a must see for me.

I rather watch the Ant-Man series. At least that series was fun.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

53 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I really enjoyed the last set of X-Men movies and this trailer looks great to me. I didn’t read any of the storylines in the comics so maybe that’s why I have no issues with last few movies.

That`s a key as well. I rather not know much about the characters so I don't have to compare them to comic book storylines.

That`s why GotG,Deadpool, Captain Marvel,Aquaman and Black Panther worked for me. They all seemed fresh and new.

Same thing with Blade. Never knew much about the character in the comics so it seemed all original with me.

Unfortunately with X-Men/Batman/Spider-Man and Superman I know the comic book history and storylines and will always compare the movies to them.

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I think it`s because of fatigue. Didn`t we already have a Phoenix saga before.?

These 4 sets of comic books franchises are very hard to pull off consistently.

Hits or misses with them.

X-Men

Superman

Batman

Spider-Man

In this stage in my life I rather watch superhero movies based on less known characters.

That`s most likely why I enjoyed Aquaman,GOTG,DEADPOOL,Black Panther and Captain Marvel much more.

Fatigue overall with X-MEN,SUPERMAN,BATMAN and Spider-Man movies. 

Just hard to tell new interesting stories with them.

Maybe Marvel will right the ship with the X-men but other than a few Wolverine movies and a couple of X-Men movies overall the series isn't a must see for me.

I rather watch the Ant-Man series. At least that series was fun.

I think you hit it right on the nose.  In specific regards to the X-Men cinematic franchise, the movies have become tired and boiler-plate.  Dragging out the same characters movie after movie feels unmotivated (it has for some time now) and the money-tree in Fox's backyard whenever an X-Men property is released, personally, is the main reason.

I strongly believe Fox didn't butcher the franchise, in fact X-Men 1 & 2 are fantastic, however they did ride the money-train a little to long without producing any "interesting" content.  In finality, they relied too much on characters originally portrayed literally 20 years ago and are still riding their gravy-trains into the sunset.

I don't understand why anyone would want to see this now that we know it's meaningless to the future of comic book movies...

Marvel Studios is just going to reboot the franchise in Phase 4. Why invest time/money into an event that most certainly won't do the source material justice.

If you love McAvoy and Fassbender, maybe? Even that didn't drag me to the theaters to see any of the last 3-4 X-Men movies.