• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, paperheart said:

‘Dark Phoenix’ was a giant bomb that hurt Disney earnings

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dark-phoenix-was-a-giant-bomb-that-hurt-disney-earnings-122655952.html

the gift that keeps on giving :cloud9:

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I love when a bad movie has financial repercussions!

:banana:

And then the reality of the real financial situation set in without casting any studio bias.

Growth in that sector helped lift Disney (DIS)'s overall revenue 33% from the prior year, up to $20.2 billion, it announced Tuesday evening. That number was, however, lower than the $21.4 billion Wall Street had expected after the company's busy quarter. Net income was also down 51% in the quarter, a result of ongoing investments in streaming.

If 1-3 Fox films are disrupting a multi-billion dollar studio's quarterly financial results, Disney has bigger problems.

:idea:

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

And then the reality of the real financial situation set in without casting any studio bias.

If 1-3 Fox films are disrupting a multi-billion dollar studio's quarterly financial results, Disney has bigger problems.

Idk what any of that mubo-jumbo even means.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Probably because it doesn't fit into the simple narrative you want to celebrate.

emotion01.gif.c7f6e144923988b341c9860120fc9a19.gif

I don't see anyone claiming that it's "Disney's main financial problem".

The movie sucks and lost money. That's literally all I care about. Bad movies losing money.

Bad movies like Venom making $$$$$ makes me unhappy.

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't see anyone claiming that it's "Disney's main financial problem".

The movie sucks and lost money. That's literally all I care about. Bad movies losing money.

Bad movies like Venom making $$$$$ makes me unhappy.

We all need a hobby in life. :insane:

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Means I can pick up shares of DIS cheaper today than I could yesterday. (thumbsu

9 minutes ago, Antpark said:

Means I can pick up shares of DIS cheaper today than I could yesterday. (thumbsu

Definitely. Though not a massive bargain like when I purchased at $92.

Disney01.PNG.7b92c6e9dd820ef6ae7ab408c793896c.PNG

32 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

Despite being a box office bomb, Isn't there Oscar buzz surrounding Dark Phoenix like Best Picture , Director , screen play..etc like eight or nine Academy Award nominations!  ...Perhaps it's the Golden Turkey awards.

'Most Cross-Studio Tampered With Production - Masters Class' ^^

On 8/7/2019 at 8:34 PM, zhamlau said:

Even this movie tanking brings me no joy. Why did they have to smash this? Honestly the only one I liked was Quicksilver and he was in it for like what 43 seconds (your results may vary)?

One thing I noticed about the X-Men movies as I have been slowly rewatching them is other than Wolverine, Professor X and Magneto was most of the other X-Men movie characters where blah and boring. The didn't do a good job of taking the comic book spirit of these great characters and translating them into the movie versions well. The only movie that came close to making non-Wolverine, Prof.X and Magneto X-Men characters interesting was X-Men: First Class.

Going forward I hope they use X-Men: First Class as a starting point on how to translate non-Wolverine,Professor X and Magneto X-Men characters to film.

19 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

One thing I noticed about the X-Men movies as I have been slowly rewatching them is other than Wolverine, Professor X and Magneto was most of the other X-Men movie characters where blah and boring. The didn't do a good job of taking the comic book spirit of these great characters and translating them into the movie versions well. The only movie that came close to making non-Wolverine, Prof.X and Magneto X-Men characters interesting was X-Men: First Class.

Going forward I hope they use X-Men: First Class as a starting point on how to translate non-Wolverine,Professor X and Magneto X-Men characters to film.

I dont know why people didnt like Apocalypse 

I mean,maybe it was a bad movie and I had amped myself up for it,so I wouldnt be let down.:(

24 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Let's not forget about Beast and Mystique in that in the later films were given quite a bit of screen time. Go back and watch Days of Future past if you didn't fast-forward through it and see how much time alone Beast has in that film.

No need to dismiss the old movies to celebrate the go-forward relaunch.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Let's not forget about Beast and Mystique in that in the later films were given quite a bit of screen time. Go back and watch Days of Future past if you didn't fast-forward through it and see how much time alone Beast has in that film.

No need to dismiss the old movies to celebrate the go-forward relaunch.

I cant wait for Gambit to be honest,if they ever get around to it.

Also maybe that's because I have an uncanny xmen 266 9.8 

Heck, even in The Last Stand they went overboard with too many characters crammed onto the screen with very little story appeal. But the big hitter in the film was Jean Grey.

This whole MCU Blinders notion 'Fox X-Men films were weak' or 'Wolverine-only' films ignores so much of what was there already which helped Iger and team move forward with creating Marvel-produced films.

And don't forget how much screen time Rogue received in X-Men (2000).

Logan, Professor X and Magneto were used as repeating characters for audience familiarity each time. But the supporting cast was used often and distributed across many characters with these films. Including:

X-Men (2000): Sabretooth, Storm, Toad, Scott Summers, Iceman

X2: Nightcrawler, Colossus, Lady Deathstrike, William Stryker

Last Stand: Juggernaught, Multiple Man, Beast, Kitty Pryde, Angel

45 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

And don't forget how much screen time Rogue received in X-Men (2000).

Logan, Professor X and Magneto were used as repeating characters for audience familiarity each time. But the supporting cast was used often and distributed across many characters with these films. Including:

Ughh, if only I could forget. I have a really strong dislike for her portrayal in all 3 of the movies. I'm not a big Anna Paquin fan, which probably didn't help either.

48 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

But the supporting cast was used often and distributed across many characters with these films. Including:

This list is misleading, though, since many of those characters got bare minimum screen-time.

Example:

Angel in Last Stand - he was in one scene for like 90 seconds, and then he appears again in the final melee for less than 10 seconds.

Colossus in X2 - Piotr gets...what? Two minutes of total screen time (If that?), including all of 10-20 seconds actually as Colossus?

If anything, Kitty Pryde makes the most impact across the films -- in terms of a minor character done right -- because her powers are unique and instantly recognizable. Believe she appeared in four of the seven films.