• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't want to see another "Origins" titled film. PTSD.

They can just do a Magneto movie. Fassbender won't be the star, though.

I agree with you on both points. 

Additionally, a Magneto origins movie would, personally, be depressing as it would rely heavily on the Holocaust (at least I would assume).  I'm not really interested in glorifying the deaths of millions of innocent people because they want to showcase the origin of Magneto.

3 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

2 hours ago, sagekilz said:

Additionally, a Magneto origins movie would, personally, be depressing as it would rely heavily on the Holocaust (at least I would assume).  I'm not really interested in glorifying the deaths of millions of innocent people because they want to showcase the origin of Magneto.

It does not need to be titled "Origins" - I do not care about the title.

I just want a solo Magneto movie - does not even need to an origin movie per se - just Magneto as the main character played by Fassbender (it was a perfect casting IMO - not as perfect as RDJ as IM, but close)

So how does DP affect New Mutants.  Does that movie get pushed to a streaming release now?  Some of us argued that DP should have been buried or gone that route.  If the general public had not already check out on the Fox version of X-Men, it has now, how bad will the final Fox film fair in theaters, if they decide to release it?

5 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

4 hours ago, sagekilz said:

There are more stories to tell about Erik Magnus ( :insane: ) Henryk Gurzsky Lehnsherr than just his very sad concentration camp experiences. Like once he was freed, where did he go between then and what we saw in First Class where at that point he was a semi-seasoned mutant able to apply his powers against those that brought pain to him and his family.

1 hour ago, Chillax23 said:

I just want a solo Magneto movie - does not even need to an origin movie per se - just Magneto as the main character played by Fassbender (it was a perfect casting IMO - not as perfect as RDJ as IM, but close)

From Magneto #0 by Chris Claremont, we can go with 'I, Magneto':

Erik is working for the Israeli government trying to capture refugee Nazis in South America. He finds and kills a Nazi named Hans Richter. Two weeks later, Control finds Erik in Rio de Janeiro and tries to sanction him. He was not supposed to kill Richter who was secretly aiding the government against the communists. Erik kills the control officers and begins calling himself Magneto for the first time.

You could sprinkle in the backup story from Fabian Nicieza, 'Magneto Seminar':

Gabrielle Haller hosts a seminar entitled Demogogues of the 20th Century. In it, she gives a dissertation as to the life and background of the man called Magneto.

8 minutes ago, drotto said:

So how does DP affect New Mutants.  Does that movie get pushed to a streaming release now?  Some of us argued that DP should have been buried or gone that route.  If the general public had not already check out on the Fox version of X-Men, it has now, how bad will the final Fox film fair in theaters, if they decide to release it?

It's a fair question, as with the Dark Phoenix tampered results and the long delay releasing The New Mutants, there has to be a level of discomfort now even that film won't go over well. Even if it is a better film. It will come down to perception.

But at least it doesn't have 'X-Men' in its name. So I know one Disney executive that may green light it going to theater. :eyeroll:

8 minutes ago, drotto said:

Supposedly coming out in theaters on Aug. 2, but realistically you're right -- it's probably closer to TBD.

Personally, I've wanted to see it in theaters since the first trailer. Done right, it would be a straight-up horror movie losely based on the Demon Bear storyline.

And I'd pay to see that in theaters.

Streaming could work - my god was "The Perfection" unsetlling. But I hope New Mutants still gets a theatrical release. More than that, I hope it's the true horror film promised by the first trailer.

2 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Supposedly coming out in theaters on Aug. 2, but realistically you're right -- it's probably closer to TBD.

Personally, I've wanted to see it in theaters since the first trailer. Done right, it would be a straight-up horror movie losely based on the Demon Bear storyline.

And I'd pay to see that in theaters.

Streaming could work - my god was "The Perfection" unsetlling. But I hope New Mutants still gets a theatrical release. More than that, I hope it's the true horror film promised by the first trailer.

Umhhh - Google, Yo!

4/3/20 The New Mutants

Disney announced two months ago it had moved the date to next year.

And I agree. From that first trailer, I definitely want to see this film.

Agreed. But now it is due to the acquisition leading to Disney balancing its extensive release schedule. But my fear is this film now becomes a victim due to mishandling.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Agreed. But now it is due to the acquisition leading to Disney balancing its extensive release schedule. But my fear is this film now becomes a victim due to mishandling.

I also heard a rumor they wanted more reshoots.  That is going to cause major issues seeing that much of the principle cast was 16 to 20 years old at shooting, and do not really look the same now.  Yes, I am mainly referring to Maize Williams.

35 minutes ago, drotto said:

I also heard a rumor they wanted more reshoots.  That is going to cause major issues seeing that much of the principle cast was 16 to 20 years old at shooting, and do not really look the same now.  Yes, I am mainly referring to Maize Williams.

You and I are thinking alike, as I noted that age concern a few weeks back when news came out about Kinberg still wanting the reshoots. It is going to be really weird when the 'teenagers' now have to act like teenagers for the reshoots.

emotion01.gif.a42685f93063f5908d3a99f8da5765ab.gif

17 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

If you haven't seen Far From Home yet - do not read this spoiler:

Spoiler

Considering that Simmons reprises his role as JJJ in Far From Home - it opens the possibility of Fassbender as Magneto in the MCU up.

20 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

If you haven't seen Far From Home yet - do not read this spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Considering that Simmons reprises his role as JJJ in Far From Home - it opens the possibility of Fassbender as Magneto in the MCU up.

It gives me hope, as it addresses fan dreams...

Spoiler

...what if they could have had the larger Marvel Universe come together in those early films. Now they can with the more recent non-MCU actors/characters.

:banana:

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

It gives me hope, as it addresses fan dreams...

Hide contents

...what if they could have had the larger Marvel Universe come together in those early films. Now they can with the more recent non-MCU actors/characters.

:banana:

Spoiler

If 'ifs' and 'buts' were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry X-Mas...

41 minutes ago, sagekilz said:

Ufff, would love to see an estimate on how much the film "lost".

:wishluck:  Deadline does a list w/ 5 biggest $ losers at year end.  Back of the envelope, without taking ancillaries into account, it's $225-250MM in the hole.  May make 1/2 that back in video, TV, etc and residuals will likely be non-existent; so loss could be north of $100MM. Yikes, i must've plagiarized this through osmosis; given actual BO was even lower the loss will be higher than the article estimates.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/dark-phoenix-bombs-at-the-box-office-reasons-why-1202629749/

Edited by paperheart