• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX directed by Simon Kinberg (11/2/18)
4 4

1,323 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:
25 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I remember enjoying that film.  But I was biased towards Ray Stevenson, an actor I absolutely LOVED in the HBO series "Rome."

Rome did it for me. Him and his partner in battle/crime.

Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus.  :applause: Both of whom were pulled partially from history in that both were soldiers that Julius Caesar described in his personal writings as helping each other during battle.

Kevin-McKidd-as-Lucius-Vorenus-Ray-Steve

4 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:
15 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:
34 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I remember enjoying that film.  But I was biased towards Ray Stevenson, an actor I absolutely LOVED in the HBO series "Rome."

Rome did it for me. Him and his partner in battle/crime.

Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus.  :applause: Both of whom were pulled partially from history in that both were soldiers that Julius Caesar described in his personal writings as helping each other during battle.

Kevin-McKidd-as-Lucius-Vorenus-Ray-Steve

And then they cast Vorenus as the love interest of the ugliest woman on TV aka Sandra Oh on Grey's Anatomy.  But I still ride for Pullo.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX Star Sophie Turner Praises Director Simon Kinberg; Film Won't Go Too Cosmic

uxtuhvyiu3ucr1pd59i5.png

While his track record on the X-Men films has been shaky at best, Dark Phoenix star Sophie Turner seems to have the utmost faith in Kinberg. Speaking to Empire Magazine, Turner praised Kinberg as the best director she's ever worked with. 

“Simon has been the brain behind X-Men for years, and it’s really exciting to have what feels like one of our own rise up and take hold of the franchise, and direct it in the way that he sees it,” Turner said. “I have to say he’s one of the best director I’ve ever worked with. He’s so passionate and collaborative.”

Turner went on to describe the film as a “dark, gritty drama,” adding that the aim of the movie is to make a unique impact in the superhero genre.

“We are revolutionizing it. We wanted to create a whole new genre of superhero movie.” According to the magazine, Dark Phoenix will take place in 1993 (ten years after Apocalypse), and that Jean's powers will have reached such a godlike state that they develop a separate personality within Jean (sound familiar?). It's also revealed by Empire that while "The X-Men go cosmic," the film won't be the interstellar caper that many were probably hoping for, but a very "personal" story.

"Once I got the -script though, I realized that not only were we telling this amazing superhero story, but we were also telling a very personal story as well," Turner said. "One which required research into mental health issues. Because that is a big part of what drives the story. I mainly drew inspiration from multiple personality disorder and schizophrenia, as it is really about duality, this movie.  Darkness and light - that's all within her. This sense of being a completely other person and her struggling with that."

While his track record on the X-Men films has been shaky at best, Dark Phoenix star Sophie Turner seems to have the utmost faith in Kinberg. Speaking to Empire Magazine, Turner praised Kinberg as the best director she's ever worked with. 

“Simon has been the brain behind X-Men for years, and it’s really exciting to have what feels like one of our own rise up and take hold of the franchise, and direct it in the way that he sees it,” Turner said. “I have to say he’s one of the best director I’ve ever worked with. He’s so passionate and collaborative.”

Turner went on to describe the film as a “dark, gritty drama,” adding that the aim of the movie is to make a unique impact in the superhero genre.

We are revolutionizing it. We wanted to create a whole new genre of superhero movie.” According to the magazine, Dark Phoenix will take place in 1993 (ten years after Apocalypse), and that Jean's powers will have reached such a godlike state that they develop a separate personality within Jean (sound familiar?). It's also revealed by Empire that while "The X-Men go cosmic," the film won't be the interstellar caper that many were probably hoping for, but a very "personal" story.

"Once I got the --script though, I realized that not only were we telling this amazing superhero story, but we were also telling a very personal story as well," Turner said. "One which required research into mental health issues. Because that is a big part of what drives the story. I mainly drew inspiration from multiple personality disorder and schizophrenia, as it is really about duality, this movie.  Darkness and light - that's all within her. This sense of being a completely other person and her struggling with that."

Alarm bells start going off any time I hear stuff like this. It usually means they've changed the characters and/or story and not for the better. They started saying similar stuff before Apocalypse and the result ended up being less than what I thought it could have (or should have) been. 

1 hour ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Not too cosmic? Fail.

Geez, how do they manage to screw these things up so long before release? It's getting ridiculous. 

I'll hold off judgement until I see it for now.

:wishluck:

"Once I got the ---script though, I realized that not only were we telling this amazing superhero story, but we were also telling a very personal story as well," Turner said. "One which required research into mental health issues. Because that is a big part of what drives the story. I mainly drew inspiration from multiple personality disorder and schizophrenia, as it is really about duality, this movie.  Darkness and light - that's all within her. This sense of being a completely other person and her struggling with that."

Yay, Jean Grey on a shrink's couch for 120ish minutes!  Just what we all want to see!  Who needs the Starjammers, or the Shi'ar, or any cosmic stuff like that???  Nuts to entertainment!

This is really going to suck.  Like epically, worse than Last Stand level, suck.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX Won't Be Bringing Back This Character From X-MEN: APOCALYPSE

Despite jumping ahead another decade, X-Men: Dark Phoenix will serve as a direct sequel to X-Men: Apocalypse but that clearly doesn't mean we should expect to see the return of every single character from that movie. When we last saw CIA Agent Moira MacTaggert, she had had her memories restored by Charles Xavier and the two of them looked set to once again embark on a romantic relationship.

Well, if that's a plot thread you were hoping would be picked up on in the sequel from writer/director Simon Kinberg, you're going to be sorely disappointed! In a new interview, actress Rose Byrne has confirmed that while she enjoyed returning as the character back in 2016, she's not coming back.

"Unfortunately, Moira is not showing up," she confirmed. "I wish she was. I had such fun on X-Men: Apocalypse. I love that cast. It is a really fun, what do you call it? Superhero film… ensemble exactly. I can’t wait to see what [Jessica Chastain] does, cause I’m such a fan." The movie will still have plenty of female characters and it should be interesting what explanation is offered for Moira's absence.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX Won't Be Bringing Back This Character From X-MEN: APOCALYPSE

Despite jumping ahead another decade, X-Men: Dark Phoenix will serve as a direct sequel to X-Men: Apocalypse but that clearly doesn't mean we should expect to see the return of every single character from that movie. When we last saw CIA Agent Moira MacTaggert, she had had her memories restored by Charles Xavier and the two of them looked set to once again embark on a romantic relationship.

Well, if that's a plot thread you were hoping would be picked up on in the sequel from writer/director Simon Kinberg, you're going to be sorely disappointed! In a new interview, actress Rose Byrne has confirmed that while she enjoyed returning as the character back in 2016, she's not coming back.

"Unfortunately, Moira is not showing up," she confirmed. "I wish she was. I had such fun on X-Men: Apocalypse. I love that cast. It is a really fun, what do you call it? Superhero film… ensemble exactly. I can’t wait to see what [Jessica Chastain] does, cause I’m such a fan." The movie will still have plenty of female characters and it should be interesting what explanation is offered for Moira's absence.

No offense to her, but I seriously doubt anyone would even notice (or care) about her absence.

4 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

Is it bad that X-Men is my favorite comic book, yet I have zero desire to see this movie?

Nope -- I feel the same way.

44 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

Is it bad that X-Men is my favorite comic book, yet I have zero desire to see this movie?

Depends upon why you feel that way.  Rarely can you get an actual feel for a film prior to release, so how can you be sure you're not jumping to conclusions based upon extremely biased and incomplete information?

12 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Depends upon why you feel that way.  Rarely can you get an actual feel for a film prior to release, so how can you be sure you're not jumping to conclusions based upon extremely biased and incomplete information?

X2 and DOFP were outstanding. I thought the rest were mediocre at best. I don't care for the cast either. I'm not jumping to any conclusions, but I am disgruntled with the franchise.  

Edited by Darkowl

57 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

X2 and DOFP were outstanding. I thought the rest were mediocre at best. I don't care for the cast either. I'm not jumping to any conclusions, but I am disgruntled with the franchise.  

X-Men, X2, First Class and DoFP are solid for me. Last Stand is so much wasted effort, and Apocalypse could have been much better.

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

First Class is first rate, best of the X-Men films.  I haven't decided where it ranks against the premiere spin-offs Deadpool and Logan yet.

Do you really consider Logan or Deadpool to be "spin-offs" though?  X-Men Origins: Wolverine did its best to totally screw up the Deadpool character, and Logan...at least from my jaded "I'm going to transfer my hatred towards Marvel for ruining their comics so I'm not seeing this movie" point of view anyway...just seemed like a way to age out Hugh Jackman from the franchise.

Confirmed: Dark Phoenix Will Introduce Famous Marvel Villains Before Captain Marvel Does

skrulls.png?w=1240

Aquaman is getting all of the attention lately from the test screening that happened yesterday, but I have some news about an upcoming Marvel movie that confirms a huge rumor that’s been floating around about it.

For a long time it’s been rumored that Fox will beat Marvel to the screen with the shape-shifting aliens the Skrulls, and today I received confirmation from a long-time source that they are indeed in X-Men: Dark Phoenix. This may remind comic fans of how Fox quickly replaced Juggernaut in Days of Future Past with Quicksilver to beat Marvel to the screen with that character as well.

As for the movie itself, my source says they thought it was better than Apocalypse but not as good as Days of Future Past. At this point they felt it was similar in issues to First Class. It’s also very serious with very little humor, but they said that Kinberg did a good job with it.