• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I love these kind of DC sci fi covers
1 1

69 posts in this topic

Just now, Artboy99 said:

as someone that collected and owns the entire run of the first Sci-Fi comic produced; Planet Comics, I surmise that these books would appeal to me. Recommend a trade?

I predicted they would become the next planet comics.  There are trades but they are black and white if I remember correctly (see below).  You can also read them online (I think-readcomiconline hasnt been working lately-might be some other sites)  or get the 25c BIG 52 pages reprints.
Showcase Presents: Strange Adventures Vol. 2: Various, Various:  9781401238469: Amazon.com: Books

8 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I am highly amused by these Strange Adventures books.  The stories are like mini Twilight Zone / B Movie nonsense covers.   I enjoy them. 

really good stuff-often with an O Henry twist ending.  Marvel's sci fi was more along the lines of GROOM-THE THING THAT WAS!!!

Edited by kav

Yeah yeah yeah.... you had me buying a bunch of these... cheaper than the EC's but just as good.

That was my last pickup that arrived this week... ordered back in the beginning of December :( 

IMG_1229.jpeg

12 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Yeah yeah yeah.... you had me buying a bunch of these... cheaper than the EC's but just as good.

That was my last pickup that arrived this week... ordered back in the beginning of December :( 

IMG_1229.jpeg

Thats a great pickup.  So glad your collecting these.

5 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

i have never heard of an O Henry ending ... i am going to look it up ! i like learning new things .....

O Henry's works basically all contain a surprise ending. They lead you on it the beginning with a thought that everything is going according to plan. He lets the reader think that they have it figured out by we don't. He has something waiting for us at the end of the story.
For example in Gift of the Magi a broke young couple buy christmas gifts-the woman sells her hair to buy a silver chain for her husband's pocket watch.  It turns out he sold his watch to buy her a set of combs.

13 minutes ago, kav said:

Thats a great pickup.  So glad your collecting these.

I have to be honest.  I do not plan on buying more than a handful... I am ... going after something.  It is not a grail but it is a white whale. 

I knocked one of my white whales off my list last year with the Tec 87 purchase.  I want another one that keeps evading me.