• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Naphtha for cleaning comics???

92 posts in this topic

I happened to stumble on a discussion about a book someone had pressed, and one of the commenters said the book looked "chemically cleaned with Naptha."

I understand a lot of nonsense gets posted on Facebook, but seeing these comment made me wonder if there's any truth to this.

Please, someone tell me this isn't really happening, and that there aren't vandals doing this to comics:

Hulk181_zps7ukh6vsq.jpg

Btw: both comments were made by the same person, and not in the chronological order they appear in the screenshot - I altered the order they were posted for brevity and quick reference.

Look at the reds in the example posted. Lots of color and gloss degradation.

If that was tanning tot he cover it could be removed with water, but it would result in a conserved grade.

I suppose I read that wrong. After doing a google search, Naptha is described as a soap, whereas I read naphtha, part of the petrochemical process which can be a variety of products

I suppose I read that wrong. After doing a google search, Naptha is described as a soap, whereas I read naphtha, part of the petrochemical process which can be a variety of products

It has been brought up as a way to remove price stickers/adhesive - supposedly it does not leave any residue.... ( no idea if that is really true)

If that was tanning tot he cover it could be removed with water, but it would result in a conserved grade.

--- how would water even be detected????

Or is the end visual result so obvious that it is easy to detect?

Changes the texture of the paper.

It has been brought up as a way to remove price stickers/adhesive - supposedly it does not leave any residue.... ( no idea if that is really true)

It is in this context that I've written on the dangers, and why it should never be used. As for "no residue" claims, I often tell people who say this to wave a match or lighter near the area where it was used - not a single person has taken me up on it. ;)

Below is an email I received from a Master Bookbinder whose resume includes restoring antiquarian books (some as old as the 10th Century) to near original condition as well as making his own hand-made paper. He replied to me asking his opinion on exposing paper to Naphtha/lighter fluid:

Quoted from Master Bookbinder:

"Any chemical treatment will break down the cellulose in paper causing it to first become chalky, then brittle and then disintegrate.

Naphtha is a derivative of petroleum and is used as a blending agent for high octane gasoline among its many uses....needless to say any insufficiently_thoughtful_person using it on paper to remove glue/gum, is just that.....an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.....The problem is that any short term solution that the seller uses is going to create a long term problem for the buyer with dire consequences.

I wouldn't consider the use of these chemicals as restoration or conservation, I would consider it amateur attempts with fatal effects. New Zealand authorities a few years ago banned all conservators from using chemical treatments as the years of use had shown that their very short history on paper is now disintegrating....,.,they were ordered to just make clamshell boxes to house their precious artifacts. Anyone who uses Naphtha on paper should be considered a vandal and collectors should not invest in such treated items......I think the term is "buyer beware".

Try anything on a romance comic reprint before you ever consider doing something serious to a decent book.

Is it fair to diss romance comics? Have I been naive yet again? I don't know where mine came from. I blame drugs in my youth.

Changes the texture of the paper.

That cover looks like it has been aqueous bleached, I don't think Naphtha can do that.

[I have used Goof-Off to remove stickers from Half-priced-books......found a ToT #1 for .25 with a sticker on it (unbagged even) Got 9.6 on it when it came back from CGC.

word of WARNING! the Goof Off you find now is "professional strength" and from experience....it will literally bleed all the colors off the page wherever you apply it! boooo.....try find the old reg strength now....I have yet to find any :pullhair:

In general regarding Naphtha and water impact. I was using VM&P Naphtha in the late 80s to remove that green oil transfer stain from inside front covers. It had zero impact on the cover stock and the colors. It also dried quickly with zero residue left behind. I experimented and left covers in the naphtha for 5 hours with zero impact after drying. I have also used it to remove cello tape and stickers BUT the stickers need to have the correct adhesive...one that can be dissolved with a petroleum based solvent like naphtha. It would have no effect on water based adhesives. While Naphtha is flammable and excellent ventilation and gloves should be used, its impact on cover stock is the most benign I have seen.

As far as water goes, it can be effective in cleaning/whitening interior pages and the inside of covers. I do not like the effect, though. It impacts the sizing and causes an immediately recognizable roughened surface. Some people may try airbrushing a solution of methyl cellulose to "recreate" the finish but at least to my eye it is pretty apparent.

Just my 2c

Try anything on a romance comic reprint before you ever consider doing something serious to a decent book.

Is it fair to diss romance comics? Have I been naive yet again? I don't know where mine came from. I blame drugs in my youth.

:sumo: