• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GODZILLA VS KING KONG: MONSTERVERSE (5/22/20)
3 3

345 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

To be honest, I've only seen parts of GKofM but what I saw didn't seem very good. I guess I'll go back and watch that since I have HBO Max anyway. I just enjoyed about every minute of Kong Skrull Island. Maybe having Loki, Captain Marvel, Nick Fury, and a Nova Corps guy in it helped.

Agree with both of you. Skull Island is easily the best movie of the shared universe.  

31 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

Agree with both of you. Skull Island is easily the best movie of the shared universe.  

Kong: Skull Island had the deeper story as a period piece. Have to agree.

And this case, the humans played a very wise part of the story. Including the downed pilot and Samuel Jackson's contributions.

15 minutes ago, vheflin said:

New Godzilla ranked

1. Shin Godzilla

2. Godzilla 2014

3. Skull Island

4. Godzilla v. Kong

5. King of something or other something

let me fix that

New Godzilla ranked

1. Shin Godzilla

2. Godzilla 2014

3. all the others

Despite being available to all HBO Max subscribers, Godzilla vs. Kong made a major impact at movie theaters on its opening day, with the film scoring an estimated $9.6 million across its 2,409 domestic screens. This marks the biggest opening day for a movie since March of 2020, with Wonder Woman 1984 previously earning $7.5 million last December. The big difference, of course, is that vaccinations are being distributed around the world and have thus allowed more movie theaters to operate at a higher capacity. Ahead of its domestic debut, the film was estimated to take in as much as $30 million in its five-day opening, with this opening day total boding well for the latest entry into Legendary's MonsterVerse.

As if the safety of movie audiences improving in recent months wasn't enough of a draw for the new film, it also serves as the culmination of the shared universe of monster reboots that kicked off with 2014's Godzilla. Despite how difficult it is to compare Godzilla vs. Kong's release to its predecessors, given how drastically different the movie-going environment has been since the pandemic started, these box office numbers confirm that this was an event that audiences wanted to witness on a big screen, even if they had access to it at home with their HBO Max subscriptions.

American audiences weren't the only ones passionate about the new film, as Godzilla vs. Kong's international turnout was just as impressive. Opening in international markets last weekend, the film opened with $121.8 million, another best since the pandemic began shuttering theaters.

7 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

I can ignore a lot of the storytelling to try enjoying this, but I can only ignore so much. It was just so much worse than Emma's "release all the monsters to save the Earth".

Reveal hidden contents

I'm also confused as to why Godzilla attacked FL? As far as I can tell, Ghidorah's remains were always in Japan? If so, attacking there makes sense. FL was just a tech location. Does Godzilla just hate computers?

I think they were

Spoiler

Baiting Godzilla to attack them so they had an excuse to attach him. They had the the tech from the prev movie terrorists I think. 

36 minutes ago, Ares said:

What I don't get how they built that huge 

Hide contents

Hyperloop tunnel to Hong Kong and no one notice. That's halfway around the world

Was that thing underground or underwater?

1 hour ago, Ares said:

Reveal hidden contents

Hyperloop tunnel to Hong Kong and no one notice. That's halfway around the world

I think that's the prequel hinted at by the writer.

9 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

There could be a prequel concerning that Hollow Earth story. Especially since the axe head is the detached scale of a previous Godzilla. Which is why it lights up from his fire.

King Kong’s Axe Powers and Origin Explained by ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’ Director and Writer

King of the Monsters was a pretty weak story, but the upgraded versions of Rodan and Ghidora were very good. Plus more monsters = more monster screen time. The first 2/3 of G vs K was slow. The first fight is almost entirely in the trailers. Then there are plotholes that just glare at you. 

Spoiler

They go through a mind bending painful warp thing to get to center earth, but then just follow Kong thru the Godzilla glory hole back topside. 

I did like the two-sided center earth effect. That was fun when Kong realized he could leap and flip onto the other side.

I had hope for this because I enjoyed Skull Island so much, but that ended up pretty well dashed. Far too many human characters, the female scientist and native girl were the only ones I cared for. I don't think Millie Bobby Brown is a good actress and the guy who plays her father is catastrophicly bad. I could've done without that entire set of Godzilla 2014 related characters (anybody know how the dad got to China by the way?)

The hollow earth section was interesting but poorly executed. It seemed really sparse for something that's supposed to have a whole ecosystem of Kaiju when compared to Skull Islands or King of the Monsters plethora of creatures. That set of bad guys were so contrived and forgettable that I was rooting for the bat creatures to get their dinner.

Apex seemed unnecessary when Monarch was already tracking all these beasts and doing their own research. I liked Serizawas son, but not the Apex guy he was working with he was nothing but a walking trope. They could've just as easily cut him and made Serizawas son a tech billionaire and coupled that with wanting revenge on Godzilla for his father giving up his life to detonate the bomb in KotM. I understand the need to make Mechagodzilla thinner so he could articulate better, but he looked like a tweaked out Meth-a-godzilla. Godzilla and Kong should've triumphed under their own devices rather than having them be assisted by a human who spilled some liquid on a computer. 

Overall I'd give it a 4/10.

Edited by AJLewandoski

9 hours ago, Ares said:

Hide contents

I thought that hyperloop tunnel went from the US to Hong Kong right through the center of the planet.  With the hollow Earth being the exact center. And then later Godzilla actually burns a new tunnel from Hong Kong to the Hollow Earth. No elaboration is made on how the hyperloop was created. Unless I missed it.

14 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Just finished watching it.  My 8 and 11 year old boys thought it was "epic".  I thought it was, meh.  Not horrible, but not good either.  Just a cool forgettable monster movie.  There are worse ways to spend a Friday night.

I thought the same but I can also image myself as a 8 or 11 year old and thinking it was the best movie ever made HAHA