• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone think silk is worth holding onto long term?

52 posts in this topic

Silk won't be around in 5 years. (shrug)

Better answer, ha. Is she the next Spider-Woman, more prominent or fade into history?

what happened to alpha? or the sentry?

I'm sure people doubted HQ back in the day too. If Silk is in the Homecoming movie, does that launches her into the mainstream and change her fate drastically. Otherwise you could be right, but know knows what 5 years will do, based on the past 5 years or what??? Could go either way.

Better answer, ha. Is she the next Spider-Woman, more prominent or fade into history?

What happened to Venom, Carnage, Winter Soldier? I wish it was as simple as saying there are no lasting characters from the last 20 years.

I'm sure people doubted HQ back in the day too. If Silk is in the Homecoming movie, does that launches her into the mainstream and change her fate drastically. Otherwise you could be right, but know knows what 5 years will do, based on the past 5 years or what??? Could go either way.

Yup

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7040027#Post7040027

Edited by ygogolak

What happened to Venom, Carnage, Winter Soldier? I wish it was as simple as saying there are no lasting characters from the last 20 years.

I would say its more about the odds, which are TERRIBLE for Marvel in the past 20 years (carnage and venom are older), but if you can pull stack of 5-10 1st apps for $1 a piece in high grade, doesn't hurt anything to hold them for a few years and hope they turn into Captain Marvel or Ms. Marvel.

Edited by Revat

I would say its more about the odds, which are TERRIBLE for Marvel in the past 20 years (carnage and venom are older), but if you can pull stack of 5-10 1st apps for $1 a piece in high grade, doesn't hurt anything to hold them for a few years and hope they turn into Captain Marvel or Ms. Marvel.

I agree.

This is nearly complete, which is why it doesn't look bad as far as successes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Marvel_Comics_superhero_debuts#2000s

I agree.

I'm with you, odds aren't too bad if Marvel is willing to give the character a book. Especially if she at some point either becomes Spiderwoman or marries Peter Parker, or both. Or Cindy Moon shows up in a Spidey movie (dump city baby!!)

I agree.

I'm with you, odds aren't too bad if Marvel is willing to give the character a book. Especially if she at some point either becomes Spiderwoman or marries Peter Parker, or both. Or Cindy Moon shows up in a Spidey movie (dump city baby!!)

:acclaim:

HQ has a much different evolution into fandom than almost any character I have ever seen. She was made for and popular because of the animated series. There was never any intention to bring her over into the main continuity of the DCU. When the character took off, and fans embraced her, DC was almost forced (or would have been stupid not too) bring her on as a full fledged character. Remember it was 1991 when she was created and not till 1999 when she become official. Very different than Silk who was created in the comics, and 2 years later had her own solo (you can argue if that was PC propelled, or based true popularity).

HQ has a much different evolution into fandom than almost any character I have ever seen. She was made for and popular because of the animated series. There was never any intention to bring her over into the main continuity of the DCU. When the character took off, and fans embraced her, DC was almost forced (or would have been stupid not too) bring her on as a full fledged character. Remember it was 1991 when she was created and not till 1999 when she become official. Very different than Silk who was created in the comics, and 2 years later had her own solo (you can argue if that was PC propelled, or based true popularity).

So, Spider-Gwen then?

Silk has much more story potential IMO if Marvel could actually find a writer that wasn't so involved in skin level diversity and more into diversity of ideas.

Silk (Cindy) has so much in common powers wise with Peter Parker however she has a treasure trove of what if perspective to the world she is now in. She was held in a room during her adolescence and told if she got out it would be dangerous to use her powers. This could be shaped many ways kinda like how the did what if's years ago....That Superman what if he was born in the USSR was a great example who would Peter Parker have turned out if he didn't have Aunt May & other support while developing his powers.

Tons of potential for SIlk. 2c

Edited by natevegas

As mentioned here... It's all about the odds.

It drives me crazy in this forum where someone requests an opinion on some recent character, someone spends the time to put their thoughts down and their reasoning is pessimistic because, you know, the reality of comic books... And then they get the infamous "well you never know, so and so became a big to do!"

Of course its possible, but it's always against the odds. I don't understand why people get so sandy about it. Most comic book characters are here and then gone, never to be heard from again.

Deadpool, Harley Quinn, and X-23 all took awhile to get to their current levels of popularity. I don't believe a character that Marvel threw into their own series within a year usually works out long term, as I can't think of the last one to have succeeded in sustained relevance. Maybe the last relaunch of the Guardians of the Galaxy, as that has went 9 years strong now.

Deadpool, Harley Quinn, and X-23 all took awhile to get to their current levels of popularity. I don't believe a character that Marvel threw into their own series within a year usually works out long term, as I can't think of the last one to have succeeded in sustained relevance. Maybe the last relaunch of the Guardians of the Galaxy, as that has went 9 years strong now.

One of those examples is not like the others, why is X-23 there? Are we considering her a popular character like Deadpool and HQ now?

Obviously she is not as popular as Deadpool or HQ, but she probably slots in at #3 when it comes to current overexposed Big 2 characters. Her first appearance commands silly money and she has is about to get the big screen treatment. Marvel has no problem making sure readers get a continuous monthly dose of her now.

Obviously she is not as popular as Deadpool or HQ, but she probably slots in at #3 when it comes to current overexposed Big 2 characters. Her first appearance commands silly money and she has is about to get the big screen treatment. Marvel has no problem making sure readers get a continuous monthly does of her now.

I see.

Some time ago I responded to a question about X-23s potential presence in comics in a few decades time... It was in the X-23 specific thread. I don't feel any different about it now with all the fervor over the Logan movie.

I also don't see the character as popular, but I don't disagree with you that they're trying. And that's good, they should try to make new characters interesting, I just don't understand why they're almost always so derivative.

Obviously she is not as popular as Deadpool or HQ, but she probably slots in at #3 when it comes to current overexposed Big 2 characters. Her first appearance commands silly money and she has is about to get the big screen treatment. Marvel has no problem making sure readers get a continuous monthly does of her now.

I see.

Some time ago I responded to a question about X-23s potential presence in comics in a few decades time... It was in the X-23 specific thread. I don't feel any different about it now with all the fervor over the Logan movie.

I also don't see the character as popular, but I don't disagree with you that they're trying. And that's good, they should try to make new characters interesting, I just don't understand why they're almost always so derivative.

I mean if we're talking about the potential investment value of a 1st app who's CGC 9.8 goes over $500, X-23 falls into that category with ... nobody else in the last 15 years for Marvel (maybe the 2nd print of Ms Marvel?). So that's something. Though I agree she's not as popular as Harley or Deadpool, those are separate but related conversations, as she does fall into the $500 club!.

Yup

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7040027#Post7040027

Well, except that Sept 2013 wasn't back in the day . . . see if there is any discussion from about Sept. 2000 :gossip:

I see.

I mean if we're talking about the potential investment value of a 1st app who's CGC 9.8 goes over $500, X-23 falls into that category with ... nobody else in the last 15 years for Marvel (maybe the 2nd print of Ms Marvel?). So that's something. Though I agree she's not as popular as Harley or Deadpool, those are separate but related conversations, as she does fall into the $500 club!.

Yeah, and frankly it's a mysterious value. For a long, long time there wasn't even movie buzz and the book still had value. That would suggest a following or a calculated investment based on... potential? The following theory seems to fall apart when other numbers are considered, so I don't know what's up with that.

I always like to compare things against a nice pillar of modern valuation - Sandman #1 in a CGC 9.8 goes for $300, does this book have an argument for its valuation?

Absolutely apples and oranges, but I like that book as a nice baseline.