• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone think silk is worth holding onto long term?

52 posts in this topic

Unlikely. You had two female spider characters introduced about the same time with Spider Gwen. If either of them hold my money is on Gwen.

I think some will never turn around on Spider Gwen (especially the older crowd) - I personally hate the very sight of the name and I feel more dumb every time I have to type it or say it. Interesting costume though.

Long term I'd think Silk is more viable just for being a little more different 2c

Unlikely. You had two female spider characters introduced about the same time with Spider Gwen. If either of them hold my money is on Gwen.

I think some will never turn around on Spider Gwen (especially the older crowd) - I personally hate the very sight of the name and I feel more dumb every time I have to type it or say it. Interesting costume though.

Long term I'd think Silk is more viable just for being a little more different 2c

If you have been to a con in the last two years, Gwen is everywhere. I was even in a very long line with a girl cosplaying Gwen 2 years ago at NYCC so we actually talk for awhile, her devotion to the character seems to run very deep. Based just on apparent popularity, it is a character that I think is going to hold up well in the younger generation of comic fans. Like it or not. Her first appearance is also holding up well with 9.8's still fetching around $160.

Silk's first appearance is much lower, and outside her solo book she does not seem to be spreading. Granted I think both characters solo books are on the chopping block.

More to the point I guess, I think both characters are destined for the dust bin of comic history sooner rather than later. How often do they manage to create lasting characters? Someone should (or maybe someone already has) try to compile a list of meaningful new comic characters created by the Big Two in the last decade.

I like this silk character, and have read some of the related trades, but have not gone out of my way to follow her or subscribe. And I don't think they've gone out of their way to make her especially sexy or cute or funny or evil, which I think doesn't really help her overall mainstream appeal.

I like this silk character, and have read some of the related trades, but have not gone out of my way to follow her or subscribe. And I don't think they've gone out of their way to make her especially sexy or cute or funny or evil, which I think doesn't really help her overall mainstream appeal.

As with almost any character, that can turn around with one writer's solid run.

I think that would be easier to accomplish with Silk over Gwen as well... considering all of the hanging around the Gwen character in the Spider-man mythos. Silk would more easily stand alone if someone actually attempted to do so.

As with almost any character, that can turn around with one writer's solid run.

I think that would be easier to accomplish with Silk over Gwen as well... considering all of the hanging around the Gwen character in the Spider-man mythos. Silk would more easily stand alone if someone actually attempted to do so.

Question is are most of the younger generation of fans even aware of all the in Gwen's history?

Sure

I like her origin better as well as the character.

But, first one in a movie wins I think.

But there are not in the same universe.

Just curious how people perceive silk? Is her first appearance likely to heat up? Maybe be the next Harley Quinn?

I like Silk long term, but she is not Harley. Silk is a play off of Spider-Man. Harley is a new character (for the most part).

Sure

I like her origin better as well as the character.

But, first one in a movie wins I think.

But there are not in the same universe.

Just curious how people perceive silk? Is her first appearance likely to heat up? Maybe be the next Harley Quinn?

I like Silk long term, but she is not Harley. Silk is a play off of Spider-Man. Harley is a new character (for the most part).

Harley is as much off Joker as Silk is off Spider-Man. If not more. Characters evolve.

I'm curious too, as to why HQ =/= Silk, Ygogolak. As a relative newbie, what jtlarsen said makes sense to me as far as them being play-off characters. HQ obviously rules in popularity and stature comparison, just wondering.

Edited by Hickok8AA8

Harley Quinn had a huge fan base from the Animated Series from the 90's. There is a lot of nostalgia built in for older fans of hers now remembering back to the times as a kid watching her in the cartoons. She's been in numerous video games and now a movie. Additionally, Harley Quinn has that crazy girl sex appeal.

Silk - meh Gimmick by Marvel to sell Spider-Man books.

I'm curious too, as to why HQ =/= Silk, Ygogolak. As a relative newbie, what jtlarsen said makes sense to me as far as them being play-off characters. HQ obviously rules in popularity and stature comparison, just wondering.

Silk's origin is that she was bit the same time as Parker. I don't know more than that about her honestly, so I could be completely wrong.

HQ is more dynamic and while was a team with Joker for a while (in her mind), has developed into much more. Also, her origin was CAUSED by the Joker.

Harley Quinn had a huge fan base from the Animated Series from the 90's. There is a lot of nostalgia built in for older fans of hers now remembering back to the times as a kid watching her in the cartoons. She's been in numerous video games and now a movie. Additionally, Harley Quinn has that crazy girl sex appeal.

Silk - meh Gimmick by Marvel to sell Spider-Man books.

I don't feel that is a valid argument against Silk as she has been around for about two and half years compared to the 25 of Harley.