• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal or Qualified Label?
1 1

41 posts in this topic

Kudos to the always helpful Bradley

for giving us the CGC specifics.

Now that we've got Bradly here with us, I have a question to ask with respect to clipped coupons.

Are GA books with a clipped coupon out that affects the storyline simply given a Blue Universal grade of 0.5 for Incomplete or can they also be given a Green Qualified label denoting the actual grade of the book? ???

If there is a choice, is it up to the submittor of the book or is it at the discretion of CGC as to the type of label to be used? (shrug)

Perhaps the signed comic book would have received a higher grade if it were given a Qualified label. I will contact CGC to inquire. Thank you all.

It wouldn't have for a 9.4. The point of the qualified label is to grade the book as if the qualifying defect doesn't exist.

Now that we've got Bradly here with us, I have a question to ask with respect to clipped coupons.

Are GA books with a clipped coupon out that affects the storyline simply given a Blue Universal grade of 0.5 for Incomplete or can they also be given a Green Qualified label denoting the actual grade of the book? ???

If there is a choice, is it up to the submittor of the book or is it at the discretion of CGC as to the type of label to be used? (shrug)

Any book (regardless of year) that is missing an entire page (or more) will be a 0.5, unless it is Qualified.

A book that has a coupon (or some portion of a page) clipped/cut out is a serious defect, but could still be in the G/VG to VG- range depending on the size of the portion missing, and of course the condition of the book otherwise.

CGC will usually Qualify such a book if it is otherwise above the G/VG range. A book that would normally be Qualified by CGC can be given a lower Blue Universal label, if the submitter specifically requests it. In either case, the defect in question will still be noted on the label, either in all caps if it is Qualified, or lower case if it is factored into the grade for a Blue Universal label.

Also in either instance, the label will state "INCOMPLETE" in all caps.

Any book (regardless of year) that is missing an entire page (or more) will be a 0.5, unless it is Qualified.

A book that has a coupon (or some portion of a page) clipped/cut out is a serious defect, but could still be in the G/VG to VG- range depending on the size of the portion missing, and of course the condition of the book otherwise.

CGC will usually Qualify such a book if it is otherwise above the G/VG range. A book that would normally be Qualified by CGC can be given a lower Blue Universal label, if the submitter specifically requests it. In either case, the defect in question will still be noted on the label, either in all caps if it is Qualified, or lower case if it is factored into the grade for a Blue Universal label.

Bradley;

Greatly appreciate your response to my enquiry here. (thumbs u

Was asking since I have a HG Larson copy of a semi-key GA DC and wondering how it would be labelled if sent in for grading. A Qualified grade with the actual grade would seem to make a lot more sense and more informative to a potential buyer than an artificially lower grade, since the defect in question (i.e. clipped coupon) would be noted on the label in either case.

At least that's my thinking here. hm

Bradley;

Greatly appreciate your response to my enquiry here. (thumbs u

Was asking since I have a HG Larson copy of a semi-key GA DC and wondering how it would be labelled if sent in for grading. A Qualified grade with the actual grade would seem to make a lot more sense and more informative to a potential buyer than an artificially lower grade, since the defect in question (i.e. clipped coupon) would be noted on the label in either case.

At least that's my thinking here. hm

I have said before that I would like to see both grades on the label. My preference would be to show the lower blue label grade as the visible grade but the higher qualified grade showing similar to a double cover grade with the qualifying defect(s) noted.

That provides the most information and no decision to be made by either CGC as to what label or the submitter as they don't know what grades would be imposed for either a blue or green grade.

Just my thoughts, likely worth less than 2c

I have said before that I would like to see both grades on the label. My preference would be to show the lower blue label grade as the visible grade but the higher qualified grade showing similar to a double cover grade with the qualifying defect(s) noted.

That provides the most information and no decision to be made by either CGC as to what label or the submitter as they don't know what grades would be imposed for either a blue or green grade.

The more I think about it, I like this. Always assign the Blue label and the Blue Label grade. Somewhere show the Qualified grade.Maybe the Blue Label comments could be designed like a double cover with two grades.In summary, eliminate the Green Label altogether, nobody likes it anyway. The Blue Label should clearly state the Qualified defect.

The more I think about it, I like this. Always assign the Blue label and the Blue Label grade. Somewhere show the Qualified grade.Maybe the Blue Label comments could be designed like a double cover with two grades.In summary, eliminate the Green Label altogether, nobody likes it anyway. The Blue Label should clearly state the Qualified defect.

Thanks Bob. I have been spouting this for a while not that my voice or opinion mean anything but when I got the book below back from one of my submissions a long time back, I thought this method would the best.

My other thought is if no change, then contact the submitter to offer them the choice of GLOD or Blue and what each grade would be so you could make the most informed choice. Now on the book below, I would have to resubmit and ask for a blue without knowing exactly what the Blue grade would be. I assume it would be a 5.5 or 6.0 but when I subbed it, I didn't realize I had a choice but even if I did without knowing the corresponding grade, it would have made the choice difficult (although a Blue is much more appealing in almost circumstance due to the stigma of the green.)

1711120934151.jpg

That is not correct. There is a TOS 39 missing a page (noted on the label) in a 2.5 Universal slab.

I like that idea of putting both qualified and standard grades on the label.

What do remaindered/return copies grade at (title logo of the cover cut off and missing)?  1.0?  I assume it hurts the grade most since it's such a glaring defect.  What grade level does the remainder copy need to achieve in order to gain Qualified status?  Above 5.0?

16 hours ago, Yorick said:

I like that idea of putting both qualified and standard grades on the label.

What do remaindered/return copies grade at (title logo of the cover cut off and missing)?  1.0?  I assume it hurts the grade most since it's such a glaring defect.  What grade level does the remainder copy need to achieve in order to gain Qualified status?  Above 5.0?

I thought/think remaindered books would get a .5 but I don't remember seeing too many graded copies.  Someone had a AF 15 that had almost the top third of the cover gone which was deemed either just a part of cover missing or a botched up remaindered copy.  IIRC, it received a .5.

Here is a SS example I did find (not mine).

1318139.jpg

On 2/25/2017 at 1:35 PM, telerites said:

I thought/think remaindered books would get a .5 but I don't remember seeing too many graded copies.  Someone had a AF 15 that had almost the top third of the cover gone which was deemed either just a part of cover missing or a botched up remaindered copy.  IIRC, it received a .5.

Here is a SS example I did find (not mine).

1318139.jpg

That's a good example.  I guess I won't be submitting high grade remainders if they can only achieve a 0.5.  :(  Maybe I need to look into restoration.  THANK YOU!