• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anything well made anymore?

47 posts in this topic

Bought the Claremont/Miller Wolverine TPB new at the LCS (printed in 2015) and began reading it folding the pages back and the spine started to split and pages started to fall loose. 

Book says it manufactured between 6/24/2015 and 7/27/2015 by R.R. Donnelley, Inc., Salem, Virginia.

Nice Job R.R. Donnelley you've made a $17.00 POS.

6 minutes ago, Chadwick said:

I was reading an X-men essential from 2006, and the cover came loose off the spine of the pages.... you could see the pitiful amount of glue they used. I wasn't even folding, not even rolling! Nice $27.25 price tag. 

ajoeUvk.jpg

I had ASM essentials and FF essentials do that as well.   I just think they're junky product.

3 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

I had ASM essentials and FF essentials do that as well.   I just think they're junky product.

I mean, I wasn't expecting super high quality out of a soft cover, but for close to $30 I do expect more than one dot of glue per corner. Outside of that I think the Essentials are fantastic, I love reading the classic runs in b&w. Some of the art just pops!

3WM3p00.jpg

I'd say "NO" emphatically. They DON'T build things like they used to.

Remember all those companies that were known for outstanding quality? They no longer exist. And why? Because the general public doesn't want to buy a car or a piece of clothing and wear it forever. They want something new and shiny every week / month / year.

I worked for Mercedes Benz for 11 years and for 11 year prior worked alongside Benz / Porsche / BMA / Rolls / Jaguar, etc. Nothing is built like it was decades ago. You used to buy a car that would actually last a lifetime. Now it's designed to last 4 years. I don't care what the manufacturers say.

The general public 'say' they want quality but what they mean is that they don't really want to pay for it. They just want it at the cheapest possible price. The problem is that there is a direct correlation between price and quality. If you want better you have to be willing to pay for better, but most people won't. They'll just stop buying the more expensive product and then the manufacturer will have to drop the price by cutting corners to stay competitive and voila, back where we started.

We're a short sighted society.

1 minute ago, greggy said:
5 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

That was the 1st thing that caught my eye. :eek:

Screw you, Roy

Do I at least get dinner and drinks 1st?

I hate it when your printer or computer falls apart and they say 'well it's FOUR YEARS OLD!' like that's some incredible length of time to expect such a thing to last.

OMG MY COMPUTER IS TWO MONTHS OLD!!!!  TIME FOR A NEW ONE!!  OMG

Edited by kav
old post wore out

55 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Remember all those companies that were known for outstanding quality? They no longer exist. And why? Because the general public doesn't want to buy a car or a piece of clothing and wear it forever. They want something new and shiny every week / month / year.

I worked for Mercedes Benz for 11 years and for 11 year prior worked alongside Benz / Porsche / BMA / Rolls / Jaguar, etc. Nothing is built like it was decades ago. You used to buy a car that would actually last a lifetime. Now it's designed to last 4 years. I don't care what the manufacturers say.

The general public 'say' they want quality but what they mean is that they don't really want to pay for it. They just want it at the cheapest possible price. The problem is that there is a direct correlation between price and quality. If you want better you have to be willing to pay for better, but most people won't. They'll just stop buying the more expensive product and then the manufacturer will have to drop the price by cutting corners to stay competitive and voila, back where we started.

I've been driving my 2006 Pontiac vibe (made in 2005) for 10 years (of course, the insides are Toyota, but I digress). Bought it used with 35K miles on it, one year old.  True, I don't put a lot of miles on it.  Average about 500-600 a month, but it's rough NYC driving mostly.  So far I have lucked out.  Some brake pads/drums, which are expected, a belt, and a little bit of electrical after we shorted something using some weird device charger.

SAS shoes.  I think they are made in the USA. they last forever.  But they cost over $150.

Roy is right. We live in a disposable society now. No one wants to pay for quality. We have come to accept that things are "good enough" especially if they are cheap. People also have a short attention span. Some examples:

Music: Vinyl records have so much more warmth and fidelity than CD's. Heck they barely make them any more either. Now you get your "singles" from the cloud.

Photography: SLR cameras and film are gone to be replaced by your phone. The art of the f-stop, shutter speed, composition and the warmth of film are now crappy snap shots that anyone can take and they are completely happy with. 

Cars: Disposable plastic computers that no one can work on and are destined to the scrap heap after a few years. I love pistons and carburators that you can work on and re-build when they wear out. 

Heck, technology is even trying to rob us of the hobby we all love so much. Most people have forgoton the smell of ink and paper and how the paper feels when you turn the pages. They way the ink absorbs into the newsprint.

OK, the old geezer will get off his soap box. I should go play my 1962 Gibson guitar through my tube amp any way...

11 minutes ago, the blob said:

I've been driving my 2006 Pontiac vibe (made in 2005) for 10 years (of course, the insides are Toyota, but I digress). Bought it used with 35K miles on it, one year old.  True, I don't put a lot of miles on it.  Average about 500-600 a month, but it's rough NYC driving mostly.  So far I have lucked out.  Some brake pads/drums, which are expected, a belt, and a little bit of electrical after we shorted something using some weird device charger.

SAS shoes.  I think they are made in the USA. they last forever.  But they cost over $150.

There are going to be exceptions but I was speaking generally. Japanese (and Japanese based) cars from the 2000's seem to be rock solid. Louise's Honda took a 200,000 Mile bashing  before needing serious engine work. Toyotas from the same era have a good reputation. But it's my understanding that even those cars which were the 'new bulletproof' have declined quality. They got what they wanted - a foothold on the world stage (Toyota is #4 in the world behind the big US 3 now) and they likely scaled back on quality to collect the cash based on an old reputation .

Technology and human progression can be an empty and shallow promise when you look how industry monetizes on cost-cutting. Build something to last too long, and it puts you out of business. If you build it cheap and it falls apart in a year or two, they'll come back for more :idea:

One of my hobbies is metal detecting and I've recovered archaic copper culture artifacts that were cold forged, hand hammered, and I'm sure the projectiles could still be thrown and stay intacts 6,000-8,000 years after they were made.

Currency from over 50 years, and some that are a hundred, two hundred and even three hundred years old come out of the ground almost looking new.

I dig pennies, dimes, nickels, and quarters from the last 30-40 years and they are barely recognizable. Some aren't even older than 20 years old and they have so much corrosion on them you can't recycle them through bank coin machines that take them out of circulation because they don't fit through the slits that sort them. It's a sad statement on human progression when the currency we  use isn't even made to last more than fifty years.

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I believe it is based on the manufacturers more than the customers. I still want that quality product that will last forever. The companies want a repeat customer spending their dollars buying the new thing over and over.