• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Mystery Canadian 128 Page Giant
1 1

86 posts in this topic

This book, as I understand it, has no year of publication anywhere on or in it.  That said, the "accepted" year of publication seems to be 1942/maybe 1943, I assume based on the contents.

Comiclink currently has one up for auction (note that I am not the consignor nor, as far as I know, do I know the consignor) with a date stamp that reads either June 15, 1945 or June 15, 1946 - I think that it's 1945 but perhaps someone can confirm.

So...could this mean that this book was printed and released several years later than is currently thought??  Could the same be said for the Marvel Mystery Giant?  Interested to hear your thoughts...

Edited by pemart1966

Here's my beater. It has no date on it that I know of. I believe the cover is from Cap #22. It has contents from a CAP and a MM. I'm not sure the numbers but I believe they are listed in Overstreet. If you know the dates from those books this would be a good start to figure the year of this. 

captamericaannual_zpse9d47bfc.jpg

46 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Here's my beater. It has no date on it that I know of. I believe the cover is from Cap #22. It has contents from a CAP and a MM. I'm not sure the numbers but I believe they are listed in Overstreet. If you know the dates from those books this would be a good start to figure the year of this. 

Please let me know if you ever want to sell/trade this book. 

10 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

This book, as I understand it, has no year of publication anywhere on or in it.  That said, the "accepted" year of publication seems to be 1942/maybe 1943, I assume based on the contents.

Comiclink currently has one up for auction (note that I am not the consignor nor, as far as I know, do I know the consignor) with a date stamp that reads either June 15, 1945 or June 15, 1946 - I think that it's 1945 but perhaps someone can confirm.

So...could this mean that this book was printed and released several years later than is currently thought??  Could the same be said for the Marvel Mystery Giant?  Interested to hear your thoughts...

I have no knowledge of this but in my view 1945 is more likely than 1942.    1942 is still early into the WECA legislation.    Given that this is a Cdn book not directly published by a Cdn publisher, it probably took a while to figure out how to fit within the legislation.    Meaning 1945 is more likely.    Total speculation, but there you go.

Edited by Bronty

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

my fave book of yours lol

10 hours ago, CatMan Brett said:

no, I feel where your coming from, but I just would be curious how this would look with all the contaminates removed

I have thought a lot about restoration on this book. But then it would be well...restored. It is what it is and I think I can live with it's "well loved" look. I've had it for over 30 years and in all that time have seen only a few more. I would love to have the Marvel Mystery to go with it but that is unlikely. And no it isn't for sale for mere "dead presidents"

11 hours ago, Bronty said:

I have no knowledge of this but in my view 1945 is more likely than 1942.    1942 is still early into the WECA legislation.    Given that this is a Cdn book not directly published by a Cdn publisher, it probably took a while to figure out how to fit within the legislation.    Meaning 1945 is more likely.    Total speculation, but there you go.

I must have had a complete brain cramp when I wrote this initially.  The Clink book is the MARVEL MYSTERY "ANNUAL" and not the initially referred to Captain America "Annual" - sincere apologies.

None the less, the original questions still apply as the book was printed and sold in the Canadian market only and the generally accepted date of sale was before 1945.

Bronty (and anyone else who's on topic in this thread) - please take a look at the date stamp on the Clink book and tell me what year you think it is.  Thanks.

Edited by pemart1966

I see.   Yes I think it is 1945, I think you are correct and I think that pretty well solves it, at least as far as the MM goes.   1942 was just too early for it to make sense anyways.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I have thought a lot about restoration on this book. But then it would be well...restored. It is what it is and I think I can live with it's "well loved" look. I've had it for over 30 years and in all that time have seen only a few more. I would love to have the Marvel Mystery to go with it but that is unlikely. And no it isn't for sale for mere "dead presidents"

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I applaud your decision to keep it as is.  There aren't many copies in existence... it's great to have unrestored ones.