• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reading comics in public

7 posts in this topic

I do a lot of comic reading at coffee shop and people are invariably interested and start asking questions or telling about books they owned.  I've even bought collections this way.  No interest at all if you read modern books but if someone sees SA or GA books they inevitably get sucked in.  

I'm assuming you mean reading reprinted collections? I can't imagine reading actual Silver/Gold outside of ones home. That being said I tend to do most of my reading at home, I find the noise and environment more distracting to the reading experience. Though having conversations about books spring up like that sounds kinda nice, especially if it leads to collections. Maybe I need to find a coffee shop not populated by young hipsters.

15 minutes ago, Vexsus said:

I'm assuming you mean reading reprinted collections? I can't imagine reading actual Silver/Gold outside of ones home. That being said I tend to do most of my reading at home, I find the noise and environment more distracting to the reading experience. Though having conversations about books spring up like that sounds kinda nice, especially if it leads to collections. Maybe I need to find a coffee shop not populated by young hipsters.

No I read SA and some GA original books.  They are not 9.6 or anything so I'm not worried about it.  Also they are not ASM 3 or anything.  Like $5-$15 books.  And most of the interested people are older.  It's fun explaining things to them they never knew about comic collecting.  It amazes them that condition is so important I have told them a book can be $5 or $1000 depending on condition.  I also try to keep the books out of their hands because they have no idea how to handle a comic. lol

They also think a book is in mint condition when it's a G

Edited by kav

I can't even recall the last time I saw someone reading comics out in public, in coffee shops, etc., here in the UK.

Not once.

Maybe it's different somewhere like London?

21 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I can't even recall the last time I saw someone reading comics out in public, in coffee shops, etc., here in the UK.

Not once.

Maybe it's different somewhere like London?

I've never seen anyone else do it-I think that's why people find it so fascinating-that guy is reading old comics!

I used to read Archie Digest at the laundromat and sometimes leave them for the next person.  I only got weird looks from the other patrons, no conversations. :(

I used to also read graphic novels outside an again, only weird looks.  I still read them in my car at lunch.  It is a shame that this society is so quick to judge, etc.

1 hour ago, nocutename said:

I used to read Archie Digest at the laundromat and sometimes leave them for the next person.  I only got weird looks from the other patrons, no conversations. :(

I used to also read graphic novels outside an again, only weird looks.  I still read them in my car at lunch.  It is a shame that this society is so quick to judge, etc.

+1

I can only recall one occasion, a long time ago, when I decided to read a few comics in public and got a pitying, ‘he must be weird or a bit slow’ smirk, despite the fact that comics can help to teach kids to read, improve vocabulary at any age and make one generally more articulate. Maybe some careful selection is involved there, though. lol