• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I suspect Jon will not be the last big collection we see coming to market in the next several years. I would guess the amount of material showing up will actual be increasing. 

Yes, looks like Jon made it to the finish line first before Verzyl and Anderson.  hm  lol

7 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Jon has 20,000 books. Might takes years to auction them all?

Not sure that's 20,000 GA.  He sold off all but a few Atomic Age books and a lot of his GA some years ago.  He has a complete Marvel SA set so that's a chunk of the books as well.  It's still an amazing collection with many rare and spectacular copies, carefully assembled to show the development of the newsstand comic. 

Weirdpaper dropped by a couple years ago.

14 hours ago, Moondog said:

I'm with you, Bob.  Jon was always there with information to anyone who asked.  A true gentleman and a collector of extraordinary taste.  It's sad on one hand but exciting on another.  Best of luck, Jon!!!

Jon is among the handful or so collectors that I admire the most. His eloquent thoughts on collecting have had a huge impact on my own approach to the hobby. It's not even the scope and quality of his collection that has impressed me most. The best example is his efforts towards reaching out to Golden Age artists and paying them to do recreations. I've never seen him talk much about this, but to me it is the single most beautiful, in the most literal sense of the word, collection I've ever seen anyone put together.  Best of luck with the sale, Jon, and I hope that we'll hear from you from time to time. 

Edited by tb

4 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Schmell fetched what, 5-6 Mil with his collection. Will we see more, less ?

I would guess much more ... depending on what books/OA he still has and that will be included in this sale.

11 minutes ago, Yellow Kid said:

Congratulations on assembling an amazing collection and being willing to share your knowledge and material as I know I have learned a lot from your posts.

Big +1 to that.  I hope he keeps posting. 

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

I thought it was something more like in the neighborhood of $3.6M or thereabouts.  (shrug)

Okay, my bad as I was starting to get my collections mixed up there.  It was the Billy Wright Collection that sold for $3.5M while the Doug Schmell Collection sold for $3.94M.   (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

37 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

I thought it was something more like in the neighborhood of $3.6M or thereabouts.  (shrug)

Okay, my bad as I was starting to get my collections mixed up there.  It was the Billy Wright Collection that sold for $3.5M while the Doug Schmell Collection sold for $3.94M.   (thumbsu

Edited 12 minutes ago by lou_fine

Couldn't recall how much Schmell's collection went for, thanks for clearing that up.

Edited by Gotham Kid

JON HAS ALWAYS BEEN AHEAD OF THE CURVE

He knows when to buy and he knows when to sell. Timing is everything...he sees all time record prices especially in comic art as witnessed by the Ha signature auction when sold 2 mill in comics and 4 mil plus in art..he sees what I see, coming...inflation ...followed by economic  downturn.....so what do you do best...get debt free, sell what is not necessary and convert to hard assets to avoid devaluation.. then hang on for the ride ... then we thru the cycle again....this guy knows what is coming...

Edited by Mmehdy

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
5 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

I would guess much more ... depending on what books/OA he still has and that will be included in this sale.

+2

Definitely much more than what Schmell got as his was basically just Marvel SA books.

Jon has a complete Marvel SA collection plus a significant GA collection to kill for and then comic related OA on top of that. 

17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+2

Definitely much more than what Schmell got as his was basically just Marvel SA books.

Jon has a complete Marvel SA collection plus a significant GA collection to kill for and then comic related OA on top of that. 

Jon was never a condition focused collector, though he did find a few Church copies very appealing.

Edited by adamstrange

18 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Jon was never a condition focused collector, though he did find a few Church copies very appealing.

I know that he has the complete Church run of the Mystery Men series which he picked up during the Diamond Int'l Galleries opening back in '95.  :cloud9:

Any idea if he also has the Church Wonderworld's or is that run sort of scattered between various collectors?  hm

32 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I know that he has the complete Church run of the Mystery Men series which he picked up during the Diamond Int'l Galleries opening back in '95.  :cloud9:

Any idea if he also has the Church Wonderworld's or is that run sort of scattered between various collectors?  hm

He has all/nearly all of the Church Wonderworlds though "settled" for the Allentown Wonder 2.  (Note:  It's gorgeous.)

Edited by adamstrange

45 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Complete run of Church Mystery Men?!!! I knew he had a bunch but WOW i can't wait to see these all together!!