• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

I know you prescribe to that theory, and sometimes I will use that strategy. But there are several books I don't have a max on and will win, so live bidding is best method to accomplish that, imo

Boy i sure hope one of those isn't a book i'm chasing!! Sounds like the GAtor Mack Truck is gonna steamroll anything or anyone that gets in its way so I hope they are all Centaurs!! Speaking of Centaurs only the AMAN 25 and 26 have broke the 1K mark in that run besides the 22 which is already over 25K :whatthe: Still way worth it if you ask me what a beauty of a cool book makes me wish i could swim in that end of the pool for a little while. Maybe later in life...see i'm already setting retirement goals haha!! Retirement Goal #1- Mannup for a few books I haven't been able to yet. 

Edited by gino2paulus2
typo

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I know you prescribe to that theory, and sometimes I will use that strategy. But there are several books I don't have a max on and will win, so live bidding is best method to accomplish that, imo

yes, but if you don’t bid at all because you forgot or had another engagement somewhere, then you definitely will not win.

10 minutes ago, tth2 said:

yes, but if you don’t bid at all because you forgot or had another engagement somewhere, then you definitely will not win.

Oh, I set my priorities...not bidding won't be an issue. Doing  it in a con setting might cause some logistics. Worse case I will call vin or rob or steve to bid for me

On 5/9/2017 at 8:03 PM, Supernerd said:

It'll be real interesting to see which gems fall through the cracks :wishluck:

On 5/9/2017 at 8:56 PM, G.A.tor said:

I can't imagine any gems falling through the cracks?

Yes, but with this large number of books available all in one shot, I can imagine a lot of "non-gems" falling through the cracks.  :wishluck:

So, I believe it might be quite possible to pick up some nice non-key books at lower than expected prices if you willing to go after some of these books.  hm

On 5/9/2017 at 9:00 PM, october said:

Is anyone else disappointed in CConnect's scans? They are pretty awful. Having seen some of this stuff in person, they are not doing the items any favors in the color department. 

Yeech. 

All I can say is that whatever method they are using should be stopped and then to spend some money to come up with a better method to scan or photograph these books.

I have heard from quite a few people that the books generally tend to look better in real life as compared to what shows up on CC's auction site.  

Shadows and off-color defects in scans that aren't actually there on the books in real life.  If I was a consignor, I would not exactly be happy about this at all.  :mad:  :censored:

6 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

All I can say is that whatever method they are using should be stopped and then to spend some money to come up with a better method to scan or photograph these books.

I have heard from quite a few people that the books generally tend to look better in real life as compared to what shows up on CC's auction site.  

Shadows and off-color defects in scans that aren't actually there on the books in real life.  If I was a consignor, I would not exactly be happy about this at all.  :mad:  :censored:

True enough, but CC would just pass these costs onto the sellers and buyers. As buyer I'm a fan of the $0 buyer's premium.

Besides, the only information you really need to know is that big bold number in the top left corner!  ;)

7 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

True enough, but CC would just pass these costs onto the sellers and buyers. As buyer I'm a fan of the $0 buyer's premium.

:idea:

Or they could simply stop paying the company that's not doing it properly and start paying a company to do it properly instead.  

No increase in cost to them due to the offset, and hence no incremental costs to pass onto their consignired or buyers.  (thumbsu

Just now, lou_fine said:

Or they could simply stop paying the company that's not doing it properly and start paying a company to do it properly instead.  

No increase in cost to them due to the offset, and hence no incremental costs to pass onto their consignired or buyers.  (thumbsu

They do the scans in house. 

31 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Besides, the only information you really need to know is that big bold number in the top left corner!  ;)

19 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

18 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Ay, therein lies the cover rub.

On 5/9/2017 at 10:48 PM, atomised said:

I wasn't aware that the Berk Church Mystery Men Comics 7 was an 8.0 - I guess that makes it relatively super expensive compared to the ultra high grades in the Berk Church MM run.

Yes, looks like Mystery Men 7 is turning out to be one of the early MM books that is truly hard to find in high grade condition.  hm

According to the CGC census, the next highest graded copy of this book after the Church 8.0 graded copy is only a lowly graded 4.0 copy.  :whatthe:

Don't know if any other higher graded copies will be coming to market because I believe the Larson copy might have a coupon clipped out of it, or something like that.  Can somebody confirm this since my copy of the Larson list is not handy right now?

32 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

10 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Ay, therein lies the cover rub.

Well, fork over some loose dollars for a new upgraded scanner or hire and train somebody to do better scans photos of the books.  (thumbsu