• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

That was quick! Let's see how long mine, goldust40 and 1koko's take to cross the pond.

Fisher hand delivered mine yesterday

:jokealert:

13 minutes ago, bluechip said:

I think it was not just that they were "Jon's books"

Yes, right. I didn't buy my two wins just because they were Jon's books, but because Jon has a great 'eye'. I paid through the nose for the two books Planets even with minor resto because their extraordinary cover colors are extremely rare. For me, this far outweighed any concerns about 'safe' investment - and I'm certainly not worried about the alleged 'stigma' of restored books.

On 6/18/2017 at 8:13 AM, MrBedrock said:

I think the "exit strategy" part of the equation is going to be very hard to reconcile for this auction. So much of the bidding was made with no plan to ever sell. When you are competing against that the exit strategy goes out the window. That is why those rare cases where folks overlooked a book make will likely make that book look like a bargain down the road. 

The prices on many items make it seem like they were bought by collectors rather than flippers.  Comic collectors' passion can be quite variable, hot during the hunt but cold after the kill. There were also quite a few reasonable prices on quality material and there are some sharp dealers/flippers that may have waded in and caught a few for resale.  I would expect to see some books be resold over the second half of the year but I have no idea of the volume.

It's funny because I have some friends who is in the hobby and when I told them  the purchase I made and they all freaked out not cuz of the book but the price, this made me little sad and I explained to them of who mr.berk was and how he was so passionate about our hobby for so long and I think some of my friends kinda understood at the end why I made the purchase and it wasn't just about investing.  My point is that all the hard work you ladies and gentlemen have done  that's been in the hobby for so long shouldn't see it all turn into is about the "money". I now can educate friends and other collectors who are younger who not just Jon berk was but all of you OGs that's still in the hobby today when I show them my collection. The new generation should carry on the knowledge of the old and should never forget it.?

48 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

The prices on many items make it seem like they were bought by collectors rather than flippers.  Comic collectors' passion can be quite variable, hot during the hunt but cold after the kill. There were also quite a few reasonable prices on quality material and there are some sharp dealers/flippers that may have waded in and caught a few for resale.  I would expect to see some books be resold over the second half of the year but I have no idea of the volume.

Overall, prices for GA were very strong.  Armed with 20/20 hindsight, however, I see more than a few unexpected bargains.  Examples include the Allentown Wonder 2, Weird Comics 3 and some of the mid-run Church Mystery Men and Wonderworlds.  The problem most of us had, I suspect, is that there was such a flurry of activity in keeping up with the last-minute bidding on the books we were focused on that we couldn't keep track of other books that may have been going for less than expected.

3 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Overall, prices for GA were very strong.  Armed with 20/20 hindsight, however, I see more than a few unexpected bargains.  Examples include the Allentown Wonder 2, Weird Comics 3 and some of the mid-run Church Mystery Men and Wonderworlds.  The problem most of us had, I suspect, is that there was such a flurry of activity in keeping up with the last-minute bidding on the books we were focused on that we couldn't keep track of other books that may have been going for less than expected.

You are definitely right in terms of the Weird 3 going for a more than reasonable price since I was the under bidder on this particular book.  I would have certainly gone higher, but made a last minute on the fly decision to try for a couple of the later Wonderworld's instead. 

Extremely happy to hear though that it was October who managed to pick up the Weird 3 since he is a true Fox aficionado and I couldn't think of anybody better to get this book.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, RareHighGrade said:

I wish I had made Tim pay more for his Mystery Men 3 :devil:

1 hour ago, RareHighGrade said:

I ended up with the Weird 3, which struck me as a bargain as well. 

Makes up for probably overpaying on the MM 11. :p

Edited by october

1 hour ago, jcb193 said:

This might have been mentioned before, but is it safe to assume these were all presssed, cleaned before being graded?  

They were not pressed before the auction.

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:
3 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

I wish I had made Tim pay more for his Mystery Men 3 :devil:

Now, now.......you had your chance, but did not take advantage of it.  (tsk)

As Tim has already stated, his max bid was actually a lot higher than what the Church MM 3 actually sold for.  :whatthe:

I just wished he had told us all before the auction what his max bid was.  This way, I am sure that we as his fellow board members would have been more than happy to ensure that his MM 3 received full and its rightful value in the marketplace.  :devil:  lol

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:
2 hours ago, jcb193 said:

This might have been mentioned before, but is it safe to assume these were all presssed, cleaned before being graded?  

They were not pressed before the auction.

Unfortunately, some of them will most probably now be pressed after the auction.  :frown:

Someone mention the auction was over 7 million in sales I almost sure Jon  negotiated a lower percentage then the standard 10 percent since he could have gone to any auction house of his choosing with his collection.

43 minutes ago, Saleen333 said:

Someone mention the auction was over 7 million in sales I almost sure Jon  negotiated a lower percentage then the standard 10 percent since he could have gone to any auction house of his choosing with his collection.

I'm guessing he's still paying 10%

best I've seen on heritage is 12.5 and clink pretty firm at 10% too

23 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
1 hour ago, Saleen333 said:

best I've seen on heritage is 12.5 and clink pretty firm at 10% too

With respect to the 12.5% auction fee charge for Heritage, is this inclusive of the 19.5% Buyer's Premium or are you referring to just the Seller's Premium only?  ???

Edited by lou_fine

43 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
1 hour ago, Saleen333 said:

+1

Lot of tax to pay I assume on that amount. :eek:

Edited by Gotham Kid