• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Oh geez, here we go again lol Does every single one of your posts have to be so prophetic? Are we always one day away from the Rapture? I mean this in the most lighthearted way possible I truly do enjoy your posts and know you are very passionate about funny books but the Hang on tight gang, the apocalypse is right around the corner stuff always intrigues me. Even if it is per say you mention converting to hard assets. Can't comic books be considered Real/hard Assets vs intangible ones? I understand that in your own way you are complementing JB but can't you just give him credit where the real credit is do. He was passionate and proud of a hobby (like yourself) when very few were and it wasn't as, "popular" as it is today to be a fan boy. Was it always about the long term investment/money? I dont know JB or you personally but I have to/want to believe that when JB was putting together the collection of a lifetime he wasn't always thinking about, "cashing in." It is my belief he did it because he loved it and helped make this hobby as popular as it is today by sharing and educating others as to how cool this stuff can really be and in the upcoming years all his passion and knowledge of the hobby are very derservingly going to pay off and I for one say good for him. As I have stated before his love of the Fox books has been a real driving force for mine so we owe him a thank you. The reason I am quoting your post is because when you say he is ahead of the curve aren't you basically saying that investing your money in comics right now is a bad idea? What if you aren't doing it just for the investment monetarily but investing in your happiness because they make you smile. I agree JB is ahead of the curve but maybe not for the same reasons you do. He was just, "cool" before many people even knew what that was. Just my 2c and don't take that as a knock Mitch because while I may be picking fun at your post you too were/are, "cool" as well. 

Well said Gino all except maybe the last sentence... We are all really just geeks at heart.

1 hour ago, gino2paulus2 said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I know that he has the complete Church run of the Mystery Men series which he picked up during the Diamond Int'l Galleries opening back in '95.  :cloud9:

Complete run of Church Mystery Men?!!! I knew he had a bunch but WOW i can't wait to see these all together!! 

I remember mentioning to him that I was really only interested in the MM 1 to 10 portion of the run and he informed me that was also the only part of the run that he was interested in.  But he stated that Geppi and Overstreet were not willing to break apart the Church MM run and were only willing to sell it as a complete intact run (Note: No MM 21 - 23 in the Church run) and that was why he purchased the entire Church run.

Looks like it worked out for him in the end though.  :wink:  :whee:

3 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Oh geez, here we go again lol Does every single one of your posts have to be so prophetic? Are we always one day away from the Rapture? I mean this in the most lighthearted way possible I truly do enjoy your posts and know you are very passionate about funny books but the Hang on tight gang, the apocalypse is right around the corner stuff always intrigues me. Even if it is per say you mention converting to hard assets. Can't comic books be considered Real/hard Assets vs intangible ones? I understand that in your own way you are complementing JB but can't you just give him credit where the real credit is do. He was passionate and proud of a hobby (like yourself) when very few were and it wasn't as, "popular" as it is today to be a fan boy. Was it always about the long term investment/money? I dont know JB or you personally but I have to/want to believe that when JB was putting together the collection of a lifetime he wasn't always thinking about, "cashing in." It is my belief he did it because he loved it and helped make this hobby as popular as it is today by sharing and educating others as to how cool this stuff can really be and in the upcoming years all his passion and knowledge of the hobby are very derservingly going to pay off and I for one say good for him. As I have stated before his love of the Fox books has been a real driving force for mine so we owe him a thank you. The reason I am quoting your post is because when you say he is ahead of the curve aren't you basically saying that investing your money in comics right now is a bad idea? What if you aren't doing it just for the investment monetarily but investing in your happiness because they make you smile. I agree JB is ahead of the curve but maybe not for the same reasons you do. He was just, "cool" before many people even knew what that was. Just my 2c and don't take that as a knock Mitch because while I may be picking fun at your post you too were/are, "cool" as well. 

I would to address your points one by one

1- Yea, JB is selling his books because he loves us......you don't have be a prophet to "follow the money" that is the rule...when making a conclusion following his actions, if he was such a hero he would donate his collection to the George Lucas Museum...NOW, that would be impressive and be given top status in this hobby.

2-I never said  comic book collecting is going to end, hero's are becoming more popular around the world be evidenced of Saudi 1st comic book convention...what I am saying is NO Market can sustain continued upward price growth forever, factored in by the demise of the physical media reducing the number of  serious collectors competing for the same comic book.

3-Inflaction is real, the effects inflation are to destabilize the economy and cause  you economic  damage, I will give you an example..here in san diego they raised  the prices of a "poke bowl" by 1 dollar on Jan 2...I asked why, its minimum wage hikes, here the next 5 years or so...now inflation is the hidden destroyer of the value of YOUR MONEY..especially at 1/2 % a year the bank pays...you can buffer with real estate because you can increase the rent as time goes on etc to ward off monetary erosion of value. Comic books do generate income, they sit there like gold, silver, diamonds and cost you money to store at the bank. Comic books are not necessary the best asset to own in a economic downturn, even if real estate goes down, the income will be still be there which will help you last to the cycle that economy has become, since the 1930's depression hit this county hard.

4-Was it always about the money you ask...in my opinion not before 1970.....the Overstreet price guide really told hold in 1972 and price increases were "slowly" built up in the hobby..essentially organized  the comic book market was created and everybody who was somebody...got a copy of the price guide...money has always been in the equation since that time,now my motivations in buying and selling for a profit back then was to "make my collection better" very few serious collectors were in the Business..there was no CC, no Ha.com billion dollar companies back then in the market...but as prices built up more and more dealers were born as opposed to simple corner book stores." Cashing in" everybody always looks at the exit..you  can buy an overpriced book but today you GPA and Ha results ,etc  Back in 1972 you just as today always consider the "exit" before you buy or look to the future to avoid a substantial loss of cost of buying it, now we did not have plastic containers widgets , so some there were some collectors who bought the book to READ IT...I know in a CGC world you cannot do that...back in 1972 you could and did.

5- You can buy whatever you want, but as JB did..timing is everything, and we are now nearing the top of the comic book market in terms of affordability as well as number of collectors, that is real collectors who are here to stay. CGC has created new generation of "investor's whether it was the impossible collection owner who owns two action 1 at 9.0 or people looking to make a profit in a short term hold situation...the world is a different place...here is my point..if it was 1972 and you were buying comics YOUR MONEY WAS SAFE...real collectors controlled the market...that is not the same today with price inflation at 3x guide, and the big books whose price is out of the real collectors reach....this investment element can turn on us at any time.....just like silver at 50 bucks an a pop back  with "hunt bros". Folks, these  people don't care, comic books and comic art are widgets to sold and speculated on..and they could give a "rat's assss" about our comic book world tomorrow and never look back when the  $$$ are not there for them to make a profit. Now when the rats leave the sinking ship...where is that gonna leave us..with the real hard core collectors who give a dammmm but do not necessarily have the funds to pay Imvestment prices for comic books and art.

Today, one must  be safe,sane, and look to the future on any purchases in this "investment" age of comic book collecting, and like JB realize that every  commodity market has a top and bottom...clearly we are near top.

Edited by Mmehdy
spelling

33 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I remember mentioning to him that I was really only interested in the MM 1 to 10 portion of the run and he informed me that was also the only part of the run that he was interested in.  But he stated that Geppi and Overstreet were not willing to break apart the Church MM run and were only willing to sell it as a complete intact run (Note: No MM 21 - 23 in the Church run) and that was why he purchased the entire Church run.

Looks like it worked out for him in the end though.  :wink:  :whee:

Well wanting just the 1-10 is definitely understandable as they are ALL awesome i would say until 12 they are all pretty neat with the interiors running the same characters. I like Lynx and the Wraith in the later issues but you are correct he struck GOLD being able to nail em all down!!

22 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

1- Yea, JB is selling his books because he loves us......you don't have be a prophet to "follow the money" that is the rule...when making a conclusion following his actions, if he was such a hero he would donate his collection to the George Lucas Museum...NOW, that would be impressive and be given top status in this hobby.

2-I never said  comic book collecting is going to end, hero's are becoming more popular around the world be evidenced of Saudi 1st comic book convention...what I am saying is NO Market can sustain continued upward price growth forever, factored in by the demise of the physical media reducing the number of  serious collectors competing for the same comic book.

3-Inflaction is real, the effects inflation are to destabilize the economy and cause  you economic  damage, I will give you an example..here in san diego they raised  the prices of a "poke bowl" by 1 dollar on Jan 2...I asked why, its minimum wage hikes, here the next 5 years or so...now inflation is the hidden destroyer of the value of YOUR MONEY..especially at 1/2 % a year the bank pays...you can buffer with real estate because you can increase the rent as time goes on etc to ward off monetary erosion of value. Comic books do generate income, they sit there like gold, silver, diamonds and cost you money to store at the bank. Comic books are not necessary the best asset to own in a economic downturn, even if real estate goes down, the income will be still be there which will help you last to the cycle that economy has become, since the 1930's depression hit this county hard.

4-Was it always about the money you ask...in my opinion not before 1970.....the Overstreet price guide really told hold in 1972 and price increases were "slowly" built up in the hobby..essentially organized  the comic book market was created and everybody who was somebody...got a copy of the price guide...money has always been in the equation since that time,now my motivations in buying and selling for a profit back then was to "make my collection better" very few serious collectors were in the Business..there was no CC, no Ha.com billion dollar companies back then in the market...but as prices built up more and more dealers were born as opposed to simple corner book stores." Cashing in" everybody always looks at the exit..you  can buy an overpriced book but today you GPA and Ha results ,etc  Back in 1972 you just as today always consider the "exit" before you buy or look to the future to avoid a substantial loss of cost of buying it, now we did not have plastic containers widgets , so some there were some collectors who bought the book to READ IT...I know in a CGC world you cannot do that...back in 1972 you could and did.

5- You can buy whatever you want, but as JB did..timing is everything, and we are now nearing the top of the comic book market in terms of affordability as well as number of collectors, that is real collectors who are here to stay. CGC has created new generation of "investor's whether it was the impossible collection owner who owns two action 1 at 9.0 or people looking to make a profit in a short term hold situation...the world is a different place...here is my point..if it was 1972 and you were buying comics YOUR MONEY WAS SAFE...real collectors controlled the market...that is not the same today with price inflation at 3x guide, and the big books whose price is out of the real collectors reach....this investment element can turn on us at any time.....just like silver at 50 bucks an a pop back  with "hunt bros". Folks, these  people don't care, comic books and comic art are widgets to sold and speculated on..and they could give a "rat's assss" about our comic book world tomorrow and never look back when the  $$$ are not there for them to make a profit. Now when the rats leave the sinking ship...where is that gonna leave us..with the real hard core collectors who give a dammmm but do not necessarily have the funds to pay Imvestment prices for comic books and art.

Today, one must  be safe,sane, and look to the future on any purchases in this "investment" age of comic book collecting, and like JB realize that every  commodity market has a top and bottom...clearly we are near top.

That is very well stated Mitch and see you even gave a history there that i can understand and appreciate my friend. Well spoken if I do say so myself (thumbsu

4 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

That is very well stated Mitch and see you even gave a history there that i can understand and appreciate my friend. Well spoken if I do say so myself (thumbsu

Interesting discussion. Good points all around. Though the only person who can tell us the motivation for selling Jon Berk's collection is Jon Berk. The evolution from comic book collector to comic book investor/speculator is certainly upon us, but whether the comic market precipice is behind JB's decision, who knows...

50 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

15 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:
24 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Interesting discussion. Good points all around. Though the only person who can tell us the motivation for selling Jon Berk's collection is Jon Berk. The evolution from comic book collector to comic book investor/speculator is certainly upon us, but whether the comic market precipice is behind JB's decision, who knows...

Oh, come on, you guys.  :baiting:

I find it grammatically impossible for Mitch to have written this.  It is totally coherent and follows the rules for the use of the English language which is most definitely not something that Mitch is known for when it comes to his posts.  hm   :whatthe:  lol

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

10 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
10 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Schmell fetched what, 5-6 Mil with his collection. Will we see more, less ?

I would guess much more ... depending on what books/OA he still has and that will be included in this sale.

+2

Definitely much more than what Schmell got as his was basically just Marvel SA books.

Jon has a complete Marvel SA collection plus a significant GA collection to kill for and then comic related OA on top of that. 

Is his Marvel SA top grade like Schmell's was ? I would say not but feel free to correct. My guess is the larger portion of the revenue will come from the OA and Gold.

Edited by Gotham Kid

12 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Is his Marvel SA top grade like Schmell's was ? I would say not but feel free to correct. My guess is the larger portion of the revenue will come from the OA and Gold.

You can see Berk's SA Marvel collection by purchasing the Gerber PhotoJournal to SA Marvel..... the photos are from his books.... although I was under the impression that he had already sold his SA Marvels..... I think he wrote the foreward to that 2 Volume set as well. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

34 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

10 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
11 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Schmell fetched what, 5-6 Mil with his collection. Will we see more, less ?

I would guess much more ... depending on what books/OA he still has and that will be included in this sale.

+2

Definitely much more than what Schmell got as his was basically just Marvel SA books.

Jon has a complete Marvel SA collection plus a significant GA collection to kill for and then comic related OA on top of that. 

Well, I would not expect his Marvel SA to be as top grade as Schmell who as we all know cared much more about the condition of his books, as opposed to the actual books themselves.  Definitely not the case with Jon, who was really more into the books themselves and much less focused on condition as seen from Adam's previous post:

5 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Jon was never a condition focused collector, though he did find a few Church copies very appealing.

Of course, it's quite possible that Adam might have been referring more to Jon's GA collection, and in particular books from the early part of the GA when he made that comment.  Don't know for sure, but I would suspect that Jon had already completed his Marvel SA collection very early on before he really got into GA.  Especially since I never heard a peep out of him about chasing after SA books during his GA quest, just that he already had a complete set of the Marvel SA books. 

So, it's quite possible that he might have acquire them in the late 70's to late 80's when they were in a complete funk at a time when Marvel SA key books were not moving anywhere at all, except downwards in the price guide.  It's also quite possible they might be natural high grade copies due to the relatively lower demand at the time, but most probably not uber HG which Schmell's were maximized to.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine
Grammer

Having survived the market reset of 2009-10 and fallout on these very boards :preach:, I reflexively hit the 'Page Down" key when comic book collectors give themselves honorary Economics degrees and share their haruspex wisdom.

With respects to motives to sell, collecting for over 40 years is approaching an expiration date.

Jon Berk talks about his collection back on 09/15/04 within this board.

Edited by tabcom

5 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I agree with Mitch that a downturn is on the way, but I don't think it will be that bad for mainstream GA titles and classic covers. I do think mid-to-late SA and BA will get hammered.

+1

Look at GPA on 9.4 & 9.6 from around 10 years ago at how high and crazy some of these prices were on mid 60s to late 70s comics and what happened when crack, press & resub came along as well as the multiple collections of this stuff coming to market. All of a sudden 9.4 & 9.6 not so HTF anymore. 

If JB were bring multiples of HTF and in demand Cap 1's, Suspense 3's, Pep 22's etc then that could hurt. The hobby has plenty of room to absorb the quality investment/classic type stuff. 

5 years ago, 3 years ago, 1 year ago we could have said we are at the top of the comic market and plenty would have believed it. Even when we do get to the top it doesn't mean a crash maybe just a leveling out. 

Collect what you love and pay what you can afford and if you decide to sell and it makes you money then great. If it didn't it gave you enjoyment and you were a great caretaker for the time you had it.

A couple years ago I was told by a collector that there about 800 comics that are always being asked for and sought. I would somewhat agree with him.

5 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I agree with Mitch that a downturn is on the way, but I don't think it will be that bad for mainstream GA titles and classic covers. I do think mid-to-late SA and BA will get hammered.

Buy the rare keys. Avoid the common and the ubiquitous.

58 minutes ago, lhcomics said:

+1

Look at GPA on 9.4 & 9.6 from around 10 years ago at how high and crazy some of these prices were on mid 60s to late 70s comics and what happened when crack, press & resub came along as well as the multiple collections of this stuff coming to market. All of a sudden 9.4 & 9.6 not so HTF anymore. 

If JB were bring multiples of HTF and in demand Cap 1's, Suspense 3's, Pep 22's etc then that could hurt. The hobby has plenty of room to absorb the quality investment/classic type stuff. 

5 years ago, 3 years ago, 1 year ago we could have said we are at the top of the comic market and plenty would have believed it. Even when we do get to the top it doesn't mean a crash maybe just a leveling out. 

Collect what you love and pay what you can afford and if you decide to sell and it makes you money then great. If it didn't it gave you enjoyment and you were a great caretaker for the time you had it.

A couple years ago I was told by a collector that there about 800 comics that are always being asked for and sought. I would somewhat agree with him.

10 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Is his Marvel SA top grade like Schmell's was ?

No.  Jon is not a condition focused collector nor did he try and press everything into the highest grades.