• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joshua Middleton Nyx #3 Cover...Next HA Auction
2 2

260 posts in this topic

On 3/12/2017 at 9:03 PM, SquareChaos said:

Seeing as you bring that up, here's a post from our OA marketplace.

Just registered again. Can't seem to use my old account.

I hope someone who has the Venom first appearance splash from ASM 299 sells it to Yoram.  I myself would be extremely interested but having read how Yoram missed out on that splash...i'm hoping the splash finds its way into Yoram's collection.  Hi Yoram! 

In terms of value, I do think the very first appearance of Venom would command 6 figures even if we didn't have Yoram's public offer. I collect Mcfarlane artwork actively and I think it would bring out the Mcfarlane collectors and of course, Tom Fish would be interested too.

As for the Parobeck BA 12 cover....I think that's worth 50k to me. So anyone who has this, hit me up.  

I am catching up on this thread but to answer Brian's question....there are some Parobeck covers that have sold privately for more than Burkey's asking prices for his. I bought a cover with an early Harley/Joker appearance from Will Gabri-el for $8500 a year/ year half ago.

11 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

I wouldn't go that far!  :smile:  Having not read it, it might be great stuff.  I enjoyed Logan the movie.  For all I know, X23 is a great addition to the Xmen universe.  My embarrassment is more about how out of the comic loop I find myself sometimes, after being addicted for so many years.  

Scott

X-23 is now the "All-New Wolverine" in her own series. I read the first arc off the stand and it was enjoyable. It's like Gene says about modern comics: they are fun, but an hour later you forget what you just read. In this series, part of "X-23's" character arc is that she has to control her homicidal impulses. To me, part of the appeal of the original Wolverine is his "berserker mode." So to have a tame Wolverine? I don't know if that's going to be as appealing as Logan. 

That said, now that Disney owns Marvel, I'm not sure (re: I doubt) Marvel is going to take risks in their storytelling. I don't know if we're ever going to get a "Miller DD run" or a "Byrne FF run" or the like again. I could go on and on about this, but I won't. I will say that there's always the chance of poor editorial decisions that could ruin X-23/Wolverine, that can erode the character's popularity because she is still a relatively new character. (As an aside, wasn't Fantomex hugely popular and where is he now?) If I were a serious contender, I would seriously consider this in my run for the piece.

Lastly, I like the point that Gene made earlier (I think it was him) that there is a lot more nicer (and finished and "blue chip") to be had for $25K-$30K. If I had that kind of money to spend, I'd top out at $7K and then go buy 2 or 3 Sam Kieth covers.

8 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

X-23 is now the "All-New Wolverine" in her own series. I read the first arc off the stand and it was enjoyable. It's like Gene says about modern comics: they are fun, but an hour later you forget what you just read. In this series, part of "X-23's" character arc is that she has to control her homicidal impulses. To me, part of the appeal of the original Wolverine is his "berserker mode." So to have a tame Wolverine? I don't know if that's going to be as appealing as Logan. 

That said, now that Disney owns Marvel, I'm not sure (re: I doubt) Marvel is going to take risks in their storytelling. I don't know if we're ever going to get a "Miller DD run" or a "Byrne FF run" or the like again. I could go on and on about this, but I won't. I will say that there's always the chance of poor editorial decisions that could ruin X-23/Wolverine, that can erode the character's popularity because she is still a relatively new character. (As an aside, wasn't Fantomex hugely popular and where is he now?) If I were a serious contender, I would seriously consider this in my run for the piece.

Lastly, I like the point that Gene made earlier (I think it was him) that there is a lot more nicer (and finished and "blue chip") to be had for $25K-$30K. If I had that kind of money to spend, I'd top out at $7K and then go buy 2 or 3 Sam Kieth covers.

To the best of my knowledge, Fantomex was never hugely popular even though the character is by far one of the more ... I hesitate to say 'original' due to the inspiration he was derived from, but I don't know what else to say, so... original creations out of Marvel in a good while. He has a far more interesting background than "Girl Wolverine" but in general most readers prefer something comfortable like "Girl Wolverine" over something new so there we are.

14 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

Ultimatum.jpg

I remember hearing that David Finch Ultimatum covers sold for 30k-40k 

Was that the total for all 5?  Or each?  Because individual pages are going for like $150-200.  and the Wolverine cover sold on CAF last year for nowhere near 30k.

15 hours ago, JoeBruin said:

Just registered again. Can't seem to use my old account.

As for the Parobeck BA 12 cover....I think that's worth 50k to me. So anyone who has this, hit me up.  

You should have made your new username "The Vacuum!" lol 

As I said in an earlier post, I suspect $50K-60K is probably the top end of what anyone would pay for the BA12 cover, and I'd peg the FMV/resale value lower than that.  It would probably be a two-horse race between you and Fish. hm 

51 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

Was that the total for all 5?  Or each?  Because individual pages are going for like $150-200.  and the Wolverine cover sold on CAF last year for nowhere near 30k.

Please tell me that it was for all of them...I mean, surely no one in their right mind would pay $30-$40K for a single cover from the group, unless their last name was "Brewster" and they had to spend $30 million in 30 days in order to claim a $300 million inheritance. :ohnoez: 

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 1:23 PM, delekkerste said:
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 0:54 PM, NinjaSealed said:

A few Miki inked cover just went up at theartistschoice

I just looked at the prices for both the covers and interiors.  The less said about them, the better.

There are pages from the series that I would be interested in, but the prices are so far out of the realm of reality, I haven't even looked in months.   As others have said (about other items) there are just so many other things I'd buy first at the $$$ these would require. 

59 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Please tell me that it was for all of them...I mean, surely no one in their right mind would pay $30-$40K for a single cover from the group, unless their last name was "Brewster" and they had to spend $30 million in 30 days in order to claim a $300 million inheritance. :ohnoez: 

Showing your age! Fun flick. 

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

It was for all of them .

4 minutes ago, Twanj said:

it's not awful but I'm having trouble believing all of them were $5k+! :whatthe:

There were 5 covers if I remember correctly.  That means that it would have to be $6-8k each.

On 3/14/2017 at 10:51 AM, delekkerste said:

There are at least 3 James Jean Fables covers that would be in serious contention to hit $40K.  I think the "1001 Nights of Snowfall" HC wraparound would almost surely be valued at that level (it's not among my personal favorites, but many seem to consider it to be the best of the lot).  The Wolves TPB cover and the #1 cover would at least be in the ballpark, if not hitting the mark.  There may be some others as well.  

One of these three covers has already been sold for over $40K in the past.

Edited by Solar

On 3/10/2017 at 1:57 PM, NinjaSealed said:

This is the first appearance of the best property to come from Marvel since Deadpool/Venom/Gambit/Cable. It's a cover AND it comes with several concepts pieces.

As far as 1st App. art since the year 2000, You have WD1, WD19, and probably this to round out the top 3(I am sure I may forgetting something). Didn't the 1st app of Talon in Batman #2 N52 sell for around $15k?

You know, I thought about it some more, and realized that there's no way X-23 is the best property to come out of Marvel since the late '80s.  What about that star of her own Netflix series, Jessica Jones (Alias)?  Or the co-star of the last two Captain America films, the Winter Soldier?  Both of their first appearances are post-2000, and both of those characters I would rate as being far better known and more important than X-23 (yes, NYX #3 may be a more valuable comic, though I would think a lot of that has to do with it being a bit of a sleeper hit).  

As for non-Marvel, wasn't there a "Blankets" piece of OA that sold for big bucks a while back?  What would the first Scott Pilgrim cover fetch now?  What are the top Chris Ware and Dan Clowes pieces from post-2000 valued at?? :ohnoez: 

On 3/10/2017 at 1:57 PM, NinjaSealed said:

I forgot to add to the list of negatives, that there is obviously no real nostalgia attached to this piece and the fact that there are no claws out is a drawback.

I will say my opinion is coming from someone on the younger side of the collecting pool, as well as someone who also collects comics so my viewpoint may be different then many here.

The people that will go after this are the same type of people who pay $5k+ for Capullo Batman pages and $10k for published GGA heroine J Scott Campbell pin ups. The same people who see Jim Lee Hush as grail pieces.

This is the first appearance of the best property to come from Marvel since Deadpool/Venom/Gambit/Cable. It's a cover AND it comes with several concepts pieces.

As far as 1st App. art since the year 2000, You have WD1, WD19, and probably this to round out the top 3(I am sure I may forgetting something). Didn't the 1st app of Talon in Batman #2 N52 sell for around $15k?

This will not sell for only $15k. 

On 3/12/2017 at 6:15 PM, SquareChaos said:

I would still enjoy the chance to read an explanation covering the whys of these supposedly true points. 

1. Can anyone explain or prop up the premise that X-23 is the best property to come out of Marvel in 30 years? Please also include an explanation that takes into account that Marvel has most successfully used her as a derivative version of Wolverine.
  2. Accepting the previous 'best property' premise as true for the sake of this second argument's dependency upon it, does being the best property to come out of an almost universally agreed upon intellectually stagnant company in and of itself make that property valuable?

I'm more and more interested in the upcoming auction, but I'm also relatively certain that the final price is unlikely to help me with my questions in any tangible way - as is always pointed out in these type of discussions, emotion trumps logic in most (but not all) of these transactions.

On 3/12/2017 at 7:30 PM, Brian Peck said:

best property to come from Marvel since Deadpool/Venom/Gambit/Cable.

I disagree with this statement, X-23 is just a rip-off version of Wolverine, I do not see the originally of it compared to the characters mentioned above. The piece is a pencil prelim for a digital cover, I would be shocked if it went for over $5K. If it does the winner will have a hard time breaking even if her or she decides to sell it. Original art that gets high prices tends to have a nostalgic component to it. I see this piece as having none of that. Yes its a technically first appearance in the comics but its the appearance in the animated series where it was first. 

Best comparison would be Harley Quinn who first appeared in The Batman Adventures #12 by Mike Parobeck. I doubt the cover will go for $25K if it appeared on the market. Two Bruce Timm prelims of the cover are on Albert's site for $1K each and that is Timm's market not that its Harley Quinn's first appearance in comics. I agree its not that same but Timm drawing something associated with his biggest creation does effect the value. 

Comparing X-23 and Harley Quinn's popularity, X-23 is a blip on the screen compared to Harley Quinn. More people and especially non-comic book readers know of Quinn compared to X-23. I do not see this drawing and prelims going for the pie in the sky figures.

On 3/12/2017 at 9:17 PM, NinjaSealed said:

I had a much longer response typed out, but decided to delete it and just say IMO your are very wrong.

And FWIW i'll make an open offer of $30k for the BA12 cover (assuming it's in good condition.) The chances of that cover only selling for $25k is absolutely crazy. Also not sure if you know this (or if you were implying it) but those are not prelims to the actual BA12 cover. It is for a convention variant? produced last year.

On 3/12/2017 at 9:24 PM, Brian Peck said:

OK doesn't realize it was a convention variant. Even if you would pay that for the BA12 cover, the X-23 is waaaay down the list in terms of value from that.

On 3/12/2017 at 11:27 PM, SquareChaos said:

Still haven't read any examples of what makes X-23 such a top shelf character, it's just a statement that keeps getting made (shrug)

On 3/12/2017 at 11:32 PM, NinjaSealed said:

That's the funniest thing, I am not even a Marvel guy but I think she is pretty damn cool. lol FWIW I don't rank her among characters like Venom/Harley ETC at the moment, but I see the potential. Oh yeah, and the SNIKT feet. 

12 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

You know, I thought about it some more, and realized that there's no way X-23 is the best property to come out of Marvel since the late '80s.  What about that star of her own Netflix series, Jessica Jones (Alias)?  Or the co-star of the last two Captain America films, the Winter Soldier?  Both of their first appearances are post-2000, and both of those characters I would rate as being far better known and more important than X-23 (yes, NYX #3 may be a more valuable comic, though I would think a lot of that has to do with it being a bit of a sleeper hit).  

As for non-Marvel, wasn't there a "Blankets" piece of OA that sold for big bucks a while back?  What would the first Scott Pilgrim cover fetch now?  What are the top Chris Ware and Dan Clowes pieces from post-2000 valued at?? :ohnoez: 

I think the 'best property since the late 80s' train of thought needs to die.

Personally, in the battle of the knock offs, I'd put Miles Morales ahead of X-23. From the perspective of semi-original character I'd take Fantomex, who is far, far more interesting. From the angle of 'it's just like the old one, but new and more Sameul L. Jacksony', I'd take Nick Fury Jr. For a new, lead female character I'd take Kamala Khan or Jessica Jones. All totally subjective, but the fact that I can reel those characters off pretty easily should make us all skeptical about the original claim 2c

Very good points, Gene and SquareChaos. I've been following the thread but I haven't had the time to respond to everything. I now remember that a few pages back I wanted to mention that if the cover for Alias #1 (1st app Jessica Jones) went up for auction simultaneously with NYX #3, and if I had the money, I would bid 3X as aggressively for the Alias cover. If anything, the "finished" Mack cover just has more value. 

As an aside, I believe the 1st app of Winter Soldier is on CAF. I never thought of it as a 30K page. Expensive, yes. $30K+? I have my doubts.

8 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

Personally, in the battle of the knock offs, I'd put Miles Morales ahead of X-23. From the perspective of semi-original character I'd take Fantomex, who is far, far more interesting. From the angle of 'it's just like the old one, but new and more Sameul L. Jacksony', I'd take Nick Fury Jr. For a new, lead female character I'd take Kamala Khan or Jessica Jones. All totally subjective, but the fact that I can reel those characters off pretty easily should make us all skeptical about the original claim 2c

Funny you brought this up, as the original version of my post asked, what about Miles Morales (Ultimate Spidey), Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel), Lunella Lafayette (Moon Girl), Pavitr Prabhakar (Spidey: India), etc., as there's a case to be made for one or more of these characters being more important than X-23.  Also, what about the very popular Spider-Gwen, who I believe is still headlining her own title, unlike X-23? :popcorn: 

Edited by delekkerste

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

...Pavitr Prabhakar (Spidey: India), etc...

Wow. And "huh". It's official. I have no idea what's up in any way shape form with the MTU the last twenty years! Actually sounds cool, but really not enough to even google it ;)