• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

So weird....this guy says he had a book listed on ebay that he sold to an unnamed boarde for a GPA record price (and is using this fact to try and sell another copy of the same book)  but there's no record of the book even being offered on ebay (stabbed, in the grade or otherwise), is it possible to pull a listing and haven't not show in the "completed listing" list for either the sellerID or in the general listing? It only happens d a few days ago so it would still be there right? I assume he didn't consulate the deal on ebay, but pulled the listing so to avoid the eBay fees, but wouldn't there still be some record of the listing?

On 2017-06-04 at 3:15 PM, Paddy_McShillihan said:

He sent a PM saying he's decided not to sell it at that price ($20)  and keep the book and that he under priced it .. he's gonna press and slab it 

i said really ? 

A deals  a deal 

@cpannell really? :facepalm: 

On 2017-06-04 at 3:39 PM, cpannell said:

The FMV on the book is around $200. The listing at $20 was an error. Paddy jumped on it faster than I could correct it. That's all it was.

Ahhh...I guess I should wait and read further before replying... :facepalm: myself now....

Okay all caught up. cpannell, glad you offered to do the right thing, but this should have never have gotten this far. Priced it at $20, sell it at $20. 2c 

I've made mistakes faaaaarrr worse than that and I absolutely honoured them.

8 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

Okay all caught up. cpannell, glad you offered to do the right thing, but this should have never have gotten this far. Priced it at $20, sell it at $20. 2c 

I've made mistakes faaaaarrr worse than that and I absolutely honoured them.

Your buyer made you honor an erroneous price? Not cool.

8 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Your buyer made you honor an erroneous price? Not cool.

+1

I hereby declare that if I ever list a book with an obvious pricing error...like a $200 book for $20...or a $300 book for $30, and a potential buyer pulls a fast draw and tries to make me honor that obvious error, I suppose we'll meet in the PL discussion thread, where I'll advise them to go  :censored: themselves.

5 minutes ago, edowens71 said:

+1

I hereby declare that if I ever list a book with an obvious pricing error...like a $200 book for $20...or a $300 book for $30, and a potential buyer pulls a fast draw and tries to make me honor that obvious error, I suppose we'll meet in the PL discussion thread, where I'll advise them to go  :censored: themselves.

:o 

13 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

:o 

Yeah, this discussion comes up from time to time. Just to be clear on my opinion on the subject:

Suppose I fail to adequately research the value of a book, and list a book for sale at, say, $30 that has recently spiked in value and is now worth $80...i.e., I thought the book was worth $30, and I typed in the sales price of $30, but the book is worth $80...as the seller, I have to own that mistake and sell the book for $30.

What I'm talking about is a case where I think a book is worth $300, and I intend to list it for $300, but I make a typographical, fat-finger-type error, and mistakenly submit the post with the price at $30, contrary to my intent to list the book for $300 (i.e., the last zero didn't make it). Trying to hold me to the $30 is ridiculous, and anger-inducing.

How to tell the difference between the two? Well, sometimes that's tricky, but sometimes it's not. I'm talking philosophically, in any event :D

Edited by edowens71

5 minutes ago, edowens71 said:

Yeah, this discussion comes up from time to time. Just to be clear on my opinion on the subject:

Suppose I fail to adequately research the value of a book, and list a book for sale at, say, $30 that has recently spiked in value and is now worth $80...i.e., I thought the book was worth $30, and I typed in the sales price of $30, but the book is worth $80...as the seller, I have to own that mistake and sell the book for $30.

What I'm talking about is a case where I think a book is worth $300, and I intend to list it for $300, but I make a typographical, fat-finger-type error, and mistakenly submit the post with the price at $30, contrary to my intent to list the book for $300 (i.e., the last zero didn't make it). Trying to hold me to the $30 is ridiculous, and anger-inducing.

How to tell the difference between the two? Well, sometimes that's tricky, but sometimes it's not. I'm talking philosophically, in any event :D

May have been five years ago that I claimed a book in a thread.  The price seemed good (that's why I claimed it! :)).  Then several people piled into the thread with posts along the lines of "Steal and half" "Huge bargain" and so on.  Sooo about an hour later, the seller PMs me that he had made a mistake and meant to price it higher.  The price in the thread was a typo, so he said.  It seemed like BS to me, but I let him off the hook while vowing never to buy from him again.

Of course, the kicker is that I have no recollection of who the seller was! :)

As a practical matter, imo, it's up to the seller to balance the damage from honoring the erroneous price, and thereby losing money, or refusing to honor the price, and being suspected of having weaseled on a deal.  Like most things in life, I suppose the key is how much dough is involved. 

Wow - the modern sales area has become the Signature Series sales area in a hurry.  I know everyone has modern SS fever but it's becoming crazy how many sales thread there is for signed books.

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Wow - the modern sales area has become the Signature Series sales area in a hurry.  I know everyone has modern SS fever but it's becoming crazy how many sales thread there is for signed books.

There's an equation 

Start of con season + # of days for cgc turn around time = date of a spike in Ss offerings...

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I could not tell you the last time I even opened that forum area.  I barely go to the mixed. At least there is activity, I guess.

14 minutes ago, telerites said:

I could not tell you the last time I even opened that forum area.  I barely go to the mixed. At least there is activity, I guess.

:bigsmile:  1st time I've ever heard of the mixed area being busy and the modern section not being looked at.  Use to be the other way around.

7 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

It's amazing to see the total disregard for listing from different eras in the gold/silver/bronze section

Yeah...when I first joined the boards, that was my crusade. I was railing against that with great energy, as I'm sure you recall....

Strange that it really doesn't bother me that much anymore, as @Jeffro. predicted, IIRC  :D

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:13 AM, 1Cool said:

I will be starting a thread in there this week so I will balance it out soon.