• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspense Comics #3 Church copy just showed up
2 2

386 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Sagii said:
17 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if I was picking, I would most likely go for the Fantastic 3 myself.

Especially since the Fantastic 3 is a higher grade at 9.4, while the Suspense 3 is slightly lower at 9.2 and also with a Penn Copy in 9.0 graded condition nipping right at its heels.  In addition, the Fantastic 3 has been graded by the more established grading company with a bigger brand name at this point in time, as compared to both of the Suspense 3's which have been graded by the other company.

In addition, the Fantastic 3 seems to be a relatively tougher book to find in comparison to the Suspense 3.  If you take a look at the Heritage archives, it almost seems like there have been more copies of Suspense 3 sold by them then all of the other Suspense issues combined, albeit in lower grade.  Of course, this might also be skewed by Fishler scarfing up most of the Fantastic 3's before they even hit the marketplace.  lol

Finally, although both of these titles are not part of the mainstream names known to the less sophisticated collectors, I feel that the Fox family of books are still more well know and will provide a stronger supporting base from which Fantastic 3 can benefit from.  Especially when you compare it to Suspense 3 which is published by Continental Magazines and is really much more of a niche publisher as compared to Fox. 

So, put me down for Fantastic 3 since the market has been aching for a high grade copy of this book much longer than a Suspense 3, which was already available in the marketplace a mere 2 short years ago.  (thumbsu

Lou, your analysis of posts are some of the best. Always thoughtful, and thought provoking. I am inclined to agree with you on most of what you said because of your very arguments. However, though i'm in the tank for FC3 taking it, there seems to have always been some 'mystique' about a Church copy of SC3 existing or not. Now we know. That just may hold some allure for a buyer to want the copy from the most revered pedigree in fandom, and driving a wedge between the hammer price of the Woo copy and it. 

Greatly appreciate your kind comments!  (thumbsu

Anyways, thought of a couple more points in favor of Fantastic 3, but then also one big overriding factor that could push Suspense 3 over the top first.

The recent heat in the GA comic book market has definitely cycled through to some of the 2nd and 3rd tier publishers and I feel that Fox has been and will now continue to be one of the major beneficiaries of this current market cycle.  This is clearly evident with some of the record sales that Fox books have been receiving, even including raw books in the VG condition grade range.  This associated heat in the other Fox books will help to support and propel the price for the Fantastic 3. 

Although Suspense 3 is a book that really stands out on its own, I believe the associated heat from the other Suspense issues in this more niche of a run is definitely not as hot.  As a result, it will not get the same support to help propel the price upwards that FC 3 will.  Although the sales results are stale, if you check the Heritage archives for the Mile High sales for the other issues in this Suspense run, one trend is very noticeable.  The sales price trend for every single Church Suspense issue that have had subsequent sales of the same issue, without any exception at all, is a downward trend over time.  Of course, since this is going to be a first time sale for the Church Suspense 3, I guess it's going to do blowout numbers.  Just don't come back and try to hit the market a second or third time.  lol

Another point and one which I will surely be crucified for (tsk)  (tsk) is that I don't feel that the cover image for S3 is a totally original concept.  From just a personal point of view, I feel that the cover image for Suspense 3 is really just a far superior and much better and artistically crafted version of the cover image for Suspense 1 done a few months earlier by Charles Quinlan.  The same full moon in the sky, man at the top, woman in bondage at the bottom being threatened and sacrificed by bad dudes in robes.  Well, okay, why don't we just say they did it 3 times in the first 4 issues if we also toss Suspense 4 into the pile.  lol  hm

The one big point for putting Suspense 3 on top of Fantastic 3 is that the S3 book will surely become the featured item and most probably also the front cover image for the Heritage Catalogue whenever it goes to auction.  This might not necessarily be the case for the individual special catalogue which I am sure CC will be putting out for Berk's collection.  If it's just one item on the front cover, they would probably lean to the cover art for Planet 1, and if it's a montage of various items, the Fantastic 3 will just be another one of the many featured items from this collection.  hm

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Wow, just Wow. The Church Suspense #3 finally surfaces! I would love to know the back story on it. It was probably one of the earliest books Chuck sold. I asked him once about it and he remembers selling it very early on before he made up the original list so I was sure it existed. Probably sold it for very little. I don't use the term of "Grail" lightly, but if I could only have one book, this might be the one for me...

+1

Yes, like most other long-time collectors, I would also love to hear the back story on this "lost" Church copy and certainly hope Heritage does something to this end when it goes to auction.  :wishluck:

I guess the book is finally being brought out to market from the long-time infamous Unknown Collector who also has all of the SF Nedors as part of his personal collection.  :devil:

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Greatly appreciate your kind comments!  (thumbsu

Anyways, thought of a couple more points in favor of Fantastic 3, but then also one big overriding factor that could push Suspense 3 over the top first.

The recent heat in the GA comic book market has definitely cycled through to some of the 2nd and 3rd tier publishers and I feel that Fox has been and will now continue to be one of the major beneficiaries of this current market cycle.  This is clearly evident with some of the record sales that Fox books have been receiving, even including raw books in the VG condition grade range.  This associated heat in the other Fox books will help to support and propel the price for the Fantastic 3. 

Although Suspense 3 is a book that really stands out on its own, I believe the associated heat from the other Suspense issues in this more niche of a run is definitely not as hot.  As a result, it will not get the same support to help propel the price upwards that FC 3 will.  Although the sales results are stale, if you check the Heritage archives for the Mile High sales for the other issues in this Suspense run, one trend is very noticeable.  The sales price trend for every single Church Suspense issue that have had subsequent sales of the same issue, without any exception at all, is a downward trend over time.  Of course, since this is going to be a first time sale for the Church Suspense 3, I guess it's going to do blowout numbers.  Just don't come back and try to hit the market a second or third time.  lol

Another point and one which I will surely be crucified for (tsk)  (tsk) is that I don't feel that the cover image for S3 is a totally original concept.  From just a personal point of view, I feel that the cover image for Suspense 3 is really just a far superior and much better and artistically crafted version of the cover image for Suspense 1 done a few months earlier by Charles Quinlan.  The same full moon in the sky, man at the top, woman in bondage at the bottom being threatened and sacrificed by bad dudes in robes.  Well, okay, why don't we just say they did it 3 times in the first 4 issues if we also toss Suspense 4 into the pile.  lol  hm

The one big point for putting Suspense 3 on top of Fantastic 3 is that the S3 book will surely become the featured item and most probably also the front cover image for the Heritage Catalogue whenever it goes to auction.  This might not necessarily be the case for the individual special catalogue which I am sure CC will be putting out for Berk's collection.  If it's just one item on the front cover, they would probably lean to the cover art for Planet 1, and if it's a montage of various items, the Fantastic 3 will just be another one of the many featured items from this collection.  hm

Food for thought Lou. Again, very good points. The catalogue will play a big factor with HA. I go with CC giving the Planet 1 cover art the spotlight. We'll see. I would also say (if these Boards are an indication), Fiction House is Hot on Foxes heels: Hardly a week when the Thread isn't on page one. I will certainly dive into the Suspense HA archives this weekend. 

Nerv and Jimjum12 also made some interesting opinions on this. 

1 hour ago, nearmint said:

That's a very 9.0ish looking 9.2. 

That was my thought, as well.  

Also, looks like somebody smashed it in a mean way.  Particularly as the staple placement is a little tough...  Although I may be completely wrong about this, it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume so. 

Having said all of that, what a treat to finally see the Church copy of this book!  Always wondered what it looked like.  Congratulations to whoever wins this book as it's truly the iconic copy of one of the most admired books in comic collecting!

2 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Is Suspense 3 a one-staple book?

From all of the other prior auction sales scans on the Heritage website, it would indeed appear to be a one-staple book.  :gossip:

Edited by lou_fine

17 hours ago, Robot Man said:

It was probably one of the earliest books Chuck sold. I asked him once about it and he remembers selling it very early on before he made up the original list so I was sure it existed.

Wonder what else Mr. Rozanski remembered. 

Did that aficionado with "eagle eyes" only pick up one book (before the list was made up)? 

Of course his possible further purchases may have re-entered the market already if one would assume the S3 had been "the last one to part with".

Either way :applause::applause::applause:

On 3/9/2017 at 5:59 PM, lou_fine said:

Any idea where this particular copy has been residing for the past few decades, especially since there have been long standing questions as to whether a Church copy of this book even existed in the first place?  hm

I'm writing this up right now. There's no copy in the catalog multiple people have stated categorically that there's no Church copy. This book didn't pick up steam until the Gerber Guide came up so it wouldn't have been kept out of the catalog as a "key." This is pretty crazy. 

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Yes, like most other long-time collectors, I would also love to hear the back story on this "lost" Church copy and certainly hope Heritage does something to this end when it goes to auction.  :wishluck:

I guess the book is finally being brought out to market from the long-time infamous Unknown Collector who also has all of the SF Nedors as part of his personal collection.  :devil:

And the Church Wonder Woman #1!

Chuck is still pretty sharp and has a lot of great stories about this collection. A fun guy to talk to. Redbeard is another great source of information about both the Church and SF collections. He was a big buyer of both. He has owned some incredible stuff including the Planet #1 cover and the Church Supe #1. I have tried to get him to come on the boards so we could pick his brain but he is essentially retired and has no desire to do so. Too bad, because he has a wealth of info.