• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

GPA tracks sales of all CGC related books and differentiates UK editions from American editions.

Ah, that would be interesting. Are there many on it Roy? Pence books that is?

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Ah, that would be interesting. Are there many on it Roy? Pence books that is?

Only a fraction from what I've noticed.

And usually just for more expensive books. Most collectors wouldn't slab a lower dollar UK copy, right?

But if you look up keys (this is a screen shot of GPA for ASM #1) you can see a couple of copies there (8.0 and 8.5 specifically)

1258261739_GPAUK.thumb.jpg.25414015ef5cb8c8af79282a694a6ed6.jpg

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

Only a fraction from what I've noticed.

And usually just for more expensive books. Most collectors wouldn't slab a lower dollar UK copy, right?

But if you look up keys (this is a screen shot of GPA for ASM #1) you can see a couple of copies there (8.0 and 8.5 specifically)

1258261739_GPAUK.thumb.jpg.25414015ef5cb8c8af79282a694a6ed6.jpg

Cheers Roy. I'll look at that properly when I'm on the PC. Too small to see on my phone!

For those of us just dipping our toes into the Marvel Pence Priced Variants, are there resources in the UK that anyone could suggest?  I have used eBay for raw books (with good luck for the most part) and Silver Dollar Comics (through Atomic Avenue) but other than that haven't found too much.  Any resources to buy CGC slabbed books from the UK?  Finally, do we expect to see an increase in slabbed UK books now that CGC is located in London?  Would the increase in volume possibly make them more accessible and thus more collectible?  Many thanks, Paul~

2 hours ago, picon3 said:

For those of us just dipping our toes into the Marvel Pence Priced Variants, are there resources in the UK that anyone could suggest?  I have used eBay for raw books (with good luck for the most part) and Silver Dollar Comics (through Atomic Avenue) but other than that haven't found too much. 

What sort of thing are you looking for Paul? Silver, bronze, high grade, low? Any particular titles? 

Finally, do we expect to see an increase in slabbed UK books now that CGC is located in London?  Would the increase in volume possibly make them more accessible and thus more collectible?  Many thanks, Paul~

Logic suggests so.  Once they've solved the Newton Ring problem I plan to take my pence Spideys along. I'm sure there will be many UK collectors thinking the same. Time will tell. It may be that UK collectors mainly take their cents copies in though. It would be great if we suddenly saw an upsurge in pence keys. 

Any resources to buy CGC slabbed books from the UK?  

Pence slabbed books you mean? Not that I know of. I can list out the usual UK dealers but I'm sure you've checked them out already?

9 minutes ago, picon3 said:

A list of UK dealers that you have used and/ or trusted would be helpful. Thanks Paul

I'll post some links tomorrow Paul as I'm on my phone (thumbsu

12 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:
12 hours ago, picon3 said:

A list of UK dealers that you have used and/ or trusted would be helpful. Thanks Paul

I'll post some links tomorrow Paul as I'm on my phone (thumbsu

Here's a list of five UK based online comic shops that I've had good experiences with Paul:

http://www.comicanadirect.com/index.html#content=home

https://incognitocomics.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

http://www.qscomics.com/

https://www.reedcomics.com/

https://www.whentitansclash.co.uk/index.html

Good luck

@picon3

7 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Many thanks.  I'll check them out later today.  Paul~

There are quite a few pence, low grade, key Marvel raws up for auction on Britbay at the moment and they are going for absolutely silly money considering the terrible pictures supplied and the old proviso "Please study photos, I'm not an expert grader" lol

On 9/10/2018 at 4:15 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I got a chance to look at all of the links last night.  I found each of them to be a good source of various material, but qscomics caught my eye as it had both bronze age material UK editions and CGC books.  

I expected much more UK material than what was posted on each site.  The vast majority of the books were US cents editions.  That was a bit of a surprise as these stores are located in Great Britain after all and it seems a bit odd to me that there stock is majority US.  Does this imply that UK collectors prefer US editions to their UK counterparts (for example, they'd prefer the 25 cent Creatures on the Loose #36 versus the 9p Creatures on the Loose #36 that I posted earlier if the grade and price were the same?).   

As always, my thanks, Paul~

On 9/11/2018 at 3:41 PM, picon3 said:

Does this imply that UK collectors prefer US editions to their UK counterparts (for example, they'd prefer the 25 cent Creatures on the Loose #36 versus the 9p Creatures on the Loose #36 that I posted earlier if the grade and price were the same?).   

In my experience, yes. Most UK collectors prefer cents over pence. Though I always try to draw pence related discussions to this thread, a debate on this subject ran here:

1 hour ago, Larryw7 said:

This lowly book appeared in the mail today.

4wsOGS.jpg

Lowly? You meant 'lovely' didn't you Larry :cloud9:

A lot of L's in that sentence :smile:

1 hour ago, Drbearsec said:

https://comicbookinvest.com/2018/09/18/variant-heat-check-for-9-18-19/

read the the third one down.  We might be starting to see some movement here

Cool. Obvious thing to say, but the keys will probably take off in a big way as cents prices move further and further out of sight. 

And when I prove the pence books were printed first, well....:wink:

Afternoon.

There are some pence existence pontifications in my post in my sister thread here:

Later this week I will post a full analysis of which as yet undiscovered pence copies I believe are likely to exist with my reasons why.

Stay tuned, if pence books are your thing :)

On 8/11/2017 at 4:47 PM, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

598dcf64c1242_GW58.thumb.jpg.cb6682635520d9fbacd843f15bfbe198.jpg 

Image result for the count sesame street gif One! One tatty copy of Gunsmoke Western #58, ah, ha ha ha hah

gw58a.thumb.jpg.d35c30b45de701a91a3b76eb1e6a6579.jpg 

Image result for the count sesame street gif Two! Two tatty copies of Gunsmoke Western #58, ah, ha ha ha hah

gw58b.thumb.jpg.2f6c185c03b8896a562afbd879eca356.jpg 

Image result for the count sesame street gif Three! Three tatty copies of Gunsmoke Western #58, ah, ha ha ha hah

58.thumb.jpg.2c81504a5a63c44eaef79e4a26c767d8.jpg

Image result for the count sesame street gif What are you some kind of ****? Ah, ha ha ha hah

58.thumb.jpg.eb7e2263335e517976e1a0f0bdd74282.jpg

Five! Five copies tatty of ze Westerly Gunmanfighters, Ah, ha, ha, ha, hah! He iz a bit of a wally bags zis Marwood with his love of ze Gunsmoking same, no? countvoncount.gif.b3461bbaaaed2c3ecbfdbc90e894558f.gif

Always nice to see a pile of new comics arrive from Postman Pat after a less than successful day in the work place :)

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.816eb21c5941ccc9ff9ac754d5f6f597.jpg

As well as my ninety fifth 9d copy of Gunsmoke Western (see previous post), I also got a number 66. It's one of the harder issues to find in pence:

66.thumb.jpg.629314bfe76d22af01d4b2b4206d8d8b.jpg

I'm closing in on a full set of pence GWs now. Not sure why. I just really like them. Especially the title banner - something big and gold about it. The 10c 63 in the top picture has a Miller Filler , so is far from out of place in penceland. I have two now, which is of course totally pointless. But whoever said collecting was for sane people? :headbang: