• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MY-GIRL-PEARL-7-Atlas-1960-THE-RAREST-MARVEL-PENCE-VARIANT-only-2-known-copies-/154280513603

I believe the seller is an (ex?) boardie. I wonder if the decimal point is in the wrong place, whilst no doubt rare (although this is third of these I’ve seen since following this thread) can’t see anyone £600 interested. 
Marwood and this thread gets a name check. 

Edited by Garystar

2 hours ago, Garystar said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MY-GIRL-PEARL-7-Atlas-1960-THE-RAREST-MARVEL-PENCE-VARIANT-only-2-known-copies-/154280513603

I believe the seller is an (ex?) boardie. I hope the decimal point is in the wrong place, whilst no doubt rare (although this is third of these I’ve seen since following Maywood’s pence thread) can’t see anyone £600 interested. 

This UK seller is well known and has excellent feedback. I have purchased from him myself over the years. It appears that the variant market is so volatile at the moment that even experienced dealers are left floundering.

EDIT. There is no way that I am interested in this book (whatever the price) but were I so I would dispute the grade given by the seller. He is usually better than this.

Edited by Redshade

On 1/5/2021 at 6:56 PM, Redshade said:

Lovely books. I do so enjoy looking at these wonderful pence variant collections.
Who is "the old boy", have I missed something?

It's my brother's collection, which I'm trying to get to grips with for grading and eventual selling. About 3,000 books, mostly very early 60s to mid-70s, mostly Marvel. I haven't got very far with it yet, but there's a fair few UK Price Variants in there!

50 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Talking of raw low grade fun copies I got a parcel today with 70 old comics in it and I'm in heaven. The first task was to wipe them all down as they had years of dirt accumulation. Hiding underneath was some really great stuff - new stamps that I've never seen before, new examples of known quirks and some (Charlton) pence copies I've been looking for for ever, including a personal holy grail. It never ceases to amaze me how many new things old comics can tell you, if you pay attention and make the links.

It's a rainy dull old day outside but the sun is shining here inside. I've been focussing on research this last few months during lock down and I've got so many things built up to post now I don't know where to start. Just waiting for admin to move that damn side bar so that the formatting doesn't corrupt when the page widens. I wish they'd get on with it....

That sounds like a delightful way to spend a day! I can't wait to see what you've uncovered! :popcorn: :bigsmile:

4 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

That sounds like a delightful way to spend a day! I can't wait to see what you've uncovered! :popcorn: :bigsmile:

I've got 27 posts pre-written so far and one of them may win a prize for the longest ever single post if I can pull it off (there's a lot of pictures). The latest parcel is going to add another ten at least.

Prepare to be bored senseless everyone! :bigsmile:

2 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

I don't recall ever having posted these here, but these are proof of your efforts GM&I!!!! These labels all read correctly!!!

Some lovely copies there Frisco. Very nice. It's nice to see the correct UKPV label too, at least as far as my own definition of 'correct' goes. Some still disagree. I was hoping to tease CGC out of the habit of calling UK and Filipino reprints 'editions' too, but I think that was a bridge too far :bigsmile:

7 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Some lovely copies there Frisco. Very nice. It's nice to see the correct UKPV label too, at least as far as my own definition of 'correct' goes. Some still disagree. I was hoping to tease CGC out of the habit of calling UK and Filipino reprints 'editions' too, but I think that was a bridge too far :bigsmile:

Thanks so much, I really appreciate that! I AM actively seeking them out, but they're not an everyday type of find. I have some raw copies and when I dig them out, I'll try to remember to check them over for any anomalies that may be yet undiscovered. 

2 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

Thanks so much, I really appreciate that! I AM actively seeking them out, but they're not an everyday type of find. I have some raw copies and when I dig them out, I'll try to remember to check them over for any anomalies that may be yet undiscovered. 

They're very hard to find now, certainly in good shape. Your JIM #63 is a beauty. 

Thanks! Yeah, I don't have as many opportunities at them as I did just a short year ago, which MAY be taken as a good sign! Perhaps collectors aren't "afraid" of them anymore. I HAVE seen the reverse though too, where a seller touts the rarity factor and wants the moon for even very low grade examples. Mixed bag I guess, take the good with the good minus! lol The one below is the one I recall as being the first one of these UKPVs that I ever purposely purchased. Still happy to have it! 

Tales of Suspense 18 4.5 ow-w UK.JPG

11 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

Thanks! Yeah, I don't have as many opportunities at them as I did just a short year ago, which MAY be taken as a good sign! Perhaps collectors aren't "afraid" of them anymore. I HAVE seen the reverse though too, where a seller touts the rarity factor and wants the moon for even very low grade examples. Mixed bag I guess, take the good with the good minus! lol The one below is the one I recall as being the first one of these UKPVs that I ever purposely purchased. Still happy to have it! 

Tales of Suspense 18 4.5 ow-w UK.JPG

That's a very uncommon book actually Frisco in my experience - in fact, it's one of only a handful of 9d copies for which I have yet to see inside re my UKPV T&P indicia work. There is a copy on eBay now, but it's overpriced with colour touch and the seller won't look inside for me.

It should be a standard US indicia in the 9d copy (i.e no Thorpe & Porter details).....

6.thumb.PNG.a3406c45fca7cf5c6e93f1fc2446db94.PNG

....as per the 10c US edition:

1087125865_TalesofSuspense1810cNoTP-CJun61.thumb.jpg.1cb3059b319c52031df86db25e7f45b3.jpg 1758685270_TalesofSuspense1810cNoTP-IJun61.thumb.jpg.e0a9646f8bf6e884e352e297e25a2820.jpg

So if you have a raw copy, let me know won't you (thumbsu