Emerald City Comicon -- March 1-4, 2018
3 3

82 posts in this topic

246 posts
On 1/18/2018 at 6:31 AM, Fan Boy said:

Friday March 2nd. My plan is to be there by 5:30 am to park and get in line. My friend and I are debating if we should leave Thursday evening and find a spot to sleep overnight. I had seen online where they said overnight parking is allowed on city streets in Seattle. 

Hotels are already ridiculously expensive now around ECCC in area.

Thursday and Friday will be the most difficult with regards to finding parking mainly because you are competing with all of the people who work downtown. Saturday and Sunday, with it being the weekend, will be easier but then you are only competing mainly with those going to the convention. I generally get down there around 7:30am to 8:00am but that is because I am an exhibitor and they allow us in early to prep. Yes, hotels are very expensive downtown especially when the convention is going on. One thing you could consider doing is staying outside of the greater Seattle area and perhaps just take an Uber downtown each day. Parking all day around the convention center is going to set you back about $20-$25. There are some great hotels on the Eastside such as in the Bothell/Kirkland area. There is one close by my place, in the Bothell area, right off the 405 freeway, I would say about 30 minutes or less from the convention center so if you stayed at a place like that, you could leave your car and just Uber it down to the show. Just throwing that out there......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,880 posts
6 hours ago, Jugger Grimrod said:

Thursday and Friday will be the most difficult with regards to finding parking mainly because you are competing with all of the people who work downtown. Saturday and Sunday, with it being the weekend, will be easier but then you are only competing mainly with those going to the convention. I generally get down there around 7:30am to 8:00am but that is because I am an exhibitor and they allow us in early to prep. Yes, hotels are very expensive downtown especially when the convention is going on. One thing you could consider doing is staying outside of the greater Seattle area and perhaps just take an Uber downtown each day. Parking all day around the convention center is going to set you back about $20-$25. There are some great hotels on the Eastside such as in the Bothell/Kirkland area. There is one close by my place, in the Bothell area, right off the 405 freeway, I would say about 30 minutes or less from the convention center so if you stayed at a place like that, you could leave your car and just Uber it down to the show. Just throwing that out there......

The hotel you mentioned in your area, the Bothell area, how much per night would cost me and my friend? 

It come down to whichever is better by cost and time. I am fine with parking my car all day in one of downtown parking garages for $20-25. You never know how much books I might buy, and to have my car nearby is better to walk from end of day at the con. From there, it’s home on way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
246 posts
On 1/23/2018 at 6:03 AM, Fan Boy said:

The hotel you mentioned in your area, the Bothell area, how much per night would cost me and my friend? 

It come down to whichever is better by cost and time. I am fine with parking my car all day in one of downtown parking garages for $20-25. You never know how much books I might buy, and to have my car nearby is better to walk from end of day at the con. From there, it’s home on way. 

The hotel in Bothell is called Country Inn & Suites, its close to an industrial park, its right next to the 405 freeway. While it is about 25-30 minutes northeast of downtown Seattle, room rate for two queen beds if you book early is about $97. They have a large parking lot, not sure if they charge for parking, but you can check them out on their website if you do a Google search. The nice thing about being at the north end of Lake Washington is that you can get to I-5 rather quickly and take that downtown (best way is to go via Bothell Way) and you avoid the 520 floating bridge toll. You may be able to find something cheaper around the northern end of Seattle though but as you noticed downtown is quite expensive especially when the con hits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
179 posts

Anyone else a little underwhelmed with the comic guest list this year? Last year was amazing, as were the years before that. Not a lot of big Image writers and artists this year like there usually are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
395 posts
55 minutes ago, sirwesker said:

Anyone else a little underwhelmed with the comic guest list this year? Last year was amazing, as were the years before that. Not a lot of big Image writers and artists this year like there usually are. 

This!

You know, I'm a huge Transformers fan. And there is a hand full of Transformers artists coming to this conventions. However, I've met them all before either at ECCC or other Transformers conventions. I would like to meet someone new.

I've also been searching the guest list for artists who I would be interested in getting sketch covers from and I'm just not seeing any I'm interested in. Transformers or others. So yea. I too am a bit underwhelmed by the guest list. I'm really hoping the show will make up for it in other ways. But a huge vinyl pop booth isn't it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
734 posts

I've got some pretty awesome news - my panel/event submission for ECCC was accepted, and I'll be hosting a comic book trade party! This is open to all ECCC attendees, and everyone can bring a box of comics to trade with other attendees. It's on Saturday at 5:30pm. If you're attending ECCC, it would be awesome if you could join the trade party and meet other boardies in attendance! This could even be an unofficial boardie meetup :bigsmile:

Here's the official description and event page:

COMIC BOOK TRADE PARTY HOSTED BY SHORTBOXED
Mar 03, 2018, 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
WSCC 307

Bring a box of comics to trade with other collectors! You can expect a fun, relaxed atmosphere for collectors to hang out, do some trading, and talk comics. Limit 1 short box per person to ensure enough space for everyone. Comics from every age are welcome. We'll have roundtables set up for you to display your books, and you can come and go as you please. Hosted by Shortboxed - visit us at shortboxed.com or connect with us on Instagram @shortboxed.

http://www.emeraldcitycomiccon.com/en/Sessions/54055/Comic-Book-Trade-Party-Hosted-by-Shortboxed# 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,880 posts

That is a great idea, shortboxed. Unfortunately I and my friend wouldn’t be there on Saturday, we only have one day (Friday) tickets brought, since all 4 day weekend passes were all gone fast ,even Saturday tickets too. 

Would love to bring my short box to your party ... next time maybe?

I have found a motel to stay overnight (Thursday night) reserved. We are all set to go for ECCC all day Friday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,917 posts
6 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

That is a great idea, shortboxed. Unfortunately I and my friend wouldn’t be there on Saturday, we only have one day (Friday) tickets brought, since all 4 day weekend passes were all gone fast ,even Saturday tickets too. 

Would love to bring my short box to your party ... next time maybe?

I have found a motel to stay overnight (Thursday night) reserved. We are all set to go for ECCC all day Friday!

Same here. Friday only pass. doh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
395 posts
On 2/5/2018 at 4:50 PM, shortboxed said:

I've got some pretty awesome news - my panel/event submission for ECCC was accepted, and I'll be hosting a comic book trade party! This is open to all ECCC attendees, and everyone can bring a box of comics to trade with other attendees. It's on Saturday at 5:30pm. If you're attending ECCC, it would be awesome if you could join the trade party and meet other boardies in attendance! This could even be an unofficial boardie meetup :bigsmile:

Here's the official description and event page:

COMIC BOOK TRADE PARTY HOSTED BY SHORTBOXED
Mar 03, 2018, 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
WSCC 307

Bring a box of comics to trade with other collectors! You can expect a fun, relaxed atmosphere for collectors to hang out, do some trading, and talk comics. Limit 1 short box per person to ensure enough space for everyone. Comics from every age are welcome. We'll have roundtables set up for you to display your books, and you can come and go as you please. Hosted by Shortboxed - visit us at shortboxed.com or connect with us on Instagram @shortboxed.

http://www.emeraldcitycomiccon.com/en/Sessions/54055/Comic-Book-Trade-Party-Hosted-by-Shortboxed# 

This is pretty cool and I'm looking forward to attending. I wonder if this would be a good place for people to ask what they are looking for and what they are bringing. Maybe get a step up on helping each other out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
734 posts
12 hours ago, Yoshi said:

This is pretty cool and I'm looking forward to attending. I wonder if this would be a good place for people to ask what they are looking for and what they are bringing. Maybe get a step up on helping each other out?

Yes! That's exactly what we should be doing here on the boards :)

Hoping a few boardies can make it!

I put this event together to bring the local community together and to have a place for comic collectors at ECCC to hang out and do some trading. I've hosted a couple comic trade parties before, and it's always a blast with a mix of everything from modern to GA books. Someone always finds something they want to trade for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,866 posts

:applause:

That’s awesome @shortboxed, I’d love to see more of these from con to con. 

I’m in time permitting, if anyone wants to kick a few tires or get a jump start via pm before hand I’m up for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
734 posts
51 minutes ago, IntoAnother said:

:applause:

That’s awesome @shortboxed, I’d love to see more of these from con to con. 

I’m in time permitting, if anyone wants to kick a few tires or get a jump start via pm before hand I’m up for it. 

That's great! I'll let some folks chime in here if they're interested and once we're a week or so out from the show, we can start chatting about have/want lists. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
395 posts
On 2/7/2018 at 10:05 AM, shortboxed said:

Yes! That's exactly what we should be doing here on the boards :)

Hoping a few boardies can make it!

I put this event together to bring the local community together and to have a place for comic collectors at ECCC to hang out and do some trading. I've hosted a couple comic trade parties before, and it's always a blast with a mix of everything from modern to GA books. Someone always finds something they want to trade for. 

Well okay. What am I looking for?

Transformers comics.

Mostly trying to hunt down a few rare books from the Dream Wave days.  Blank covers from IDW's Transformers: Regeneration One. Even looking for drawn on issue 81s. Blank covers in general for that matter I would be stoked to check out. Not just Transformers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
734 posts

Starting to get really excited for the show! Will be bringing a box of books to get signed throughout the weekend, and will be getting a couple commissions, too. The dealer lineup looks pretty good as well. 

And just a reminder - we're hosting a Comic Book Trade Party at the con on Saturday, 5:00pm. Bring some books to trade! I'll be bringing a shorbox with a mix of stuff - GA, SA, BA, some modern stuff, raw and slabs. I like to have a mix of things. Hope to meet some boardies there!

On 2/5/2018 at 4:50 PM, shortboxed said:

Here's the official description and event page:

COMIC BOOK TRADE PARTY HOSTED BY SHORTBOXED
Mar 03, 2018, 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
WSCC 307

Bring a box of comics to trade with other collectors! You can expect a fun, relaxed atmosphere for collectors to hang out, do some trading, and talk comics. Limit 1 short box per person to ensure enough space for everyone. Comics from every age are welcome. We'll have roundtables set up for you to display your books, and you can come and go as you please. Hosted by Shortboxed - visit us at shortboxed.com or connect with us on Instagram @shortboxed.

http://www.emeraldcitycomiccon.com/en/Sessions/54055/Comic-Book-Trade-Party-Hosted-by-Shortboxed# 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
246 posts
On 2/8/2018 at 11:32 PM, Yoshi said:

Well okay. What am I looking for?

Transformers comics.

Mostly trying to hunt down a few rare books from the Dream Wave days.  Blank covers from IDW's Transformers: Regeneration One. Even looking for drawn on issue 81s. Blank covers in general for that matter I would be stoked to check out. Not just Transformers.

 

There is an exhibitor who is set up near my booth each year, really nice guy, owns a comic shop in southern California and drives up for ECCC. You should check out his booth if you are looking for blank cover variants as he usually has a lot of them. He is listed as Comic Madness, booth #2224. You can also check Corner Comics, booth #2221 right across from him, they may have some too. They are both located near the tower of t-shirts in the main exhibition hall by the food court and ATM area, just a few rows to the east of the Funko booth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
395 posts
10 hours ago, Jugger Grimrod said:

There is an exhibitor who is set up near my booth each year, really nice guy, owns a comic shop in southern California and drives up for ECCC. You should check out his booth if you are looking for blank cover variants as he usually has a lot of them. He is listed as Comic Madness, booth #2224. You can also check Corner Comics, booth #2221 right across from him, they may have some too. They are both located near the tower of t-shirts in the main exhibition hall by the food court and ATM area, just a few rows to the east of the Funko booth.

Wow! Thank you so much for making this easy for me to locate! I will most defiantly check them out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
395 posts
On 2/14/2018 at 10:48 AM, shortboxed said:

Starting to get really excited for the show! Will be bringing a box of books to get signed throughout the weekend, and will be getting a couple commissions, too. The dealer lineup looks pretty good as well. 

And just a reminder - we're hosting a Comic Book Trade Party at the con on Saturday, 5:00pm. Bring some books to trade! I'll be bringing a shorbox with a mix of stuff - GA, SA, BA, some modern stuff, raw and slabs. I like to have a mix of things. Hope to meet some boardies there!

 

What is the setup going to be like? I was looking at the ECCC map and WSCC 307 looks like a table to me on the main convention floor. For some reason I had in my head a room like one of the fan meetups where we could all bring in our comics and chat with each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
734 posts
8 hours ago, Yoshi said:

What is the setup going to be like? I was looking at the ECCC map and WSCC 307 looks like a table to me on the main convention floor. For some reason I had in my head a room like one of the fan meetups where we could all bring in our comics and chat with each other.

it's a meetup room, and the same floor as the other meetups similar to last year! There will be some roundtables for people to set up. Depending on how many people show up, we'll likely have to share tables. I'm unsure of how many tables there will be, though, so that'll be a surprise for all of us :) 

Already wondering what types of books I should bring! SA and BA seems to be safe bets, but I'll likely bring some GA too and even some modern stuff like variants and signed books. My challenge is how to bring a shortbox (or two) onto a plane (:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3