• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ILLUSTRATION collection?"
1 1

277 posts in this topic

posted this on Terry's movie art thread, but thought it would also be of interest here.

Tom Chantrell with the STar Wars movie poster art still in process.    And no, sadly, NOT in my collection this week, just for interest (and because you can't seen enough 1977 white pants in a lifetime)

TomChantrell_withStarWarsartwork.jpg

Edited by Bronty

Jael -Sunday Newspaper Supplement in New York World

I was first exposed to Dan Smith at Big WOW!. I was moderating an inking panel and asked each artists who their influences are. Mark Schultz was one of the artist, besides Wally Wood and Alex Raymond he mentioned Dan Smith. I had never heard of him but did some research online and downloaded a number of his pieces to use on the panel.
I was hooked on Dan's art, he is an amazing illustrator. 
In the late 1890s, he worked for Hearst organization and covered the Spanish-American War. From Hearst he joined the New York Herald for a short period then moved on to The World, where “for twenty years, he drew nearly all of the covers for the Sunday magazine of New York World.
I am not exactly sure when this was published, New York World was published thru 1931. I think this was done sometime in the early part of the 20th century. His originals are rare and this is on of the best I have seen and BIG this one is 22x28. Another off the bucket list.

Dan_smith.jpg

Noticed this toy illo at Hake's today thanks to a friend linking me.

Cylon Raider, Battlestar Galactica, packaging art, approx 9k

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/218954/BATTLESTAR-GALACTICA-CYLON-RAIDER-BOX-ORIGINAL-ART

image.jpg

13032-c3y3.jpg

Edited by Bronty

51 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Noticed this toy illo at Hake's today thanks to a friend linking me.

Cylon Raider, Battlestar Galactica, packaging art, approx 9k

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/218954/BATTLESTAR-GALACTICA-CYLON-RAIDER-BOX-ORIGINAL-ART

image.jpg

13032-c3y3.jpg

I had quite a bit of interest in the art, but no interest in this:

Winning Bid:
$8,783.57 (Includes 18% Buyer's Premium)

3 hours ago, vodou said:

I had quite a bit of interest in the art, but no interest in this:

Winning Bid:
$8,783.57 (Includes 18% Buyer's Premium)

I  had the toy - got at a garage sale as a kid. loved it. not sure what happened to it -but as a kid, the best part was that it fired missiles out of the wings which popped open.

Pretty sure THIS was one of the toys that started the whole harmful to kids choking hazard thing if i recall correctly? Maybe more historically important for that, than it's nostalgia ties. :)

Edit: Found a couple links... turns out it was the viper from the same line.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/13-of-the-most-dangerous-and-deadly-toys-ever-made-1647200302

http://theswca.com/textf/toydeath.html

41 minutes ago, Bronty said:

No need to explain away the result ;) 

What's really interesting to try to unravel is how the OA came in at $8k and the printed flat came in at $4k. The one is 1/1, the other is 1/manythousandsprinted. On that basis, the OA was  steal! Or was the proof nutty? Either way, great idea on the part of whoever (Hake's, consignor?) to offer them separately lol and result in (a bit less than) $12k cumulatively!

Straight comic art illos aren't the point of this thread HOWEVER kaluta is pretty awesome so we will let it stand!    What did he charge you Ankur?   I love it.

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

Straight comic art illos aren't the point of this thread HOWEVER kaluta is pretty awesome so we will let it stand!    What did he charge you Ankur?   I love it.

Thanks! This was $1000. It’s 12x18 roughly.