• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ILLUSTRATION collection?"
1 1

277 posts in this topic

yessir.   looks like leia, chewie, and r2d2 were lifted/inspired from the poster below.  Leia's pose is pretty well identical.

29 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

And not a single Ewok in sight  :cloud9:

Star+Wars+-+A+New+Hope+%281977%29+Style+

Edited by Bronty

1 minute ago, SquareChaos said:

I actually think I remember playing that Chess game on PC - if it's the one I'm thinking of, it had awesome combat / death animations.

has to be.   

Touching on the previous conversation about studies.

Look at this poor schlub who ignored the word.

Paid 12k for the prelim in 2007   https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/entertainment-and-music/stanley-mouse-jerry-angel-unplugged-study-painting-original-art-1995-grateful-dead-guitarist-jerry-garcia-s-passing-/a/648-23032.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

And...... then the finished original came up in 2011, and...... got only 7k :insane:  

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/entertainment-and-music/grateful-dead-jerry-angel-stanley-mouse-painting-original-art-1995-/a/7042-46335.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Perhaps the price in 2007 was higher due to the recency of Jerry's passing.   And, since the finished piece is unpublished anyways and they are similar dimensions, the market probably draws less difference in the values than normal, but still... yikes.

Edited by Bronty

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:00 PM, delekkerste said:

I completed an NYU program in Art Business 5 years ago.  One of the classes I took was Art as a Financial Asset, and the prof broke down all the fees & commissions that go into selling a piece at auction.  Bottom line?  We are totally spoiled in comics and comic art.  It may not get the headlines that the Sotheby's and Christie's evening fine art sales get, but, there are lower transaction costs and a lot more liquidity than in fine art.  When you look at illustration art, as you noted with the LOTR resale and Bronty did with his Elvgren observation, you see the difference in liquidity that the removal of one buyer (the previous winner) can make, plus the impact of the higher commission costs.  

Aside from that, though, as a general observation, it seems as though interest in Heritage's illustration art auctions has waned over the past couple/few years.  Part of that may be that, when the crux of the Martignette Collection was auctioned off, it generated its own heat (which has since dissipated).  I wonder if the market for much of these sub-genres has aged out a bit as well?  Of course, we know that Simpsons co-creator Sam Simon was an active buyer before he sadly passed away.   Also, I would imagine that many collectors (including myself) largely got their fill of what they wanted.  But, of course, the auctions keep coming, and so price has to drop to clear the market (much as I expect will eventually happen in our hobby sometime down the line).  

The size of the Heritage Illustration Art auctions has certainly decreased since the Martignette Collection finished up.  Definitely not as exciting as when the collection was rolled out.

Mike

On 5/18/2017 at 1:17 PM, Bronty said:

Touching on the previous conversation about studies.

Look at this poor schlub who ignored the word.

Paid 12k for the prelim in 2007   https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/entertainment-and-music/stanley-mouse-jerry-angel-unplugged-study-painting-original-art-1995-grateful-dead-guitarist-jerry-garcia-s-passing-/a/648-23032.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

And...... then the finished original came up in 2011, and...... got only 7k :insane:  

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/entertainment-and-music/grateful-dead-jerry-angel-stanley-mouse-painting-original-art-1995-/a/7042-46335.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Perhaps the price in 2007 was higher due to the recency of Jerry's passing.   And, since the finished piece is unpublished anyways and they are similar dimensions, the market probably draws less difference in the values than normal, but still... yikes.

....Jerry passed away in 1995 I don't think 4 years difference would really be a recency factor by that point.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 5:16 PM, Bronty said:

One of my friends got the D&D Basic Set for Christmas in 1982 and it came with this module.  My very first D&D campaign which lead to close to 20 years of playing.  Unfortunately, my group disbanded in the very late 1990s and that was the end for me.

Mike