• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shiznit redux
1 1

82 posts in this topic

Shiznit redux

Hello all!

Yes, it is that time...time for more Promotional Comics!

salesthreadheader.jpg

As an introduction, there was a time when the comics industry was a young medium, full of sales surprises and with an extremely deep market penetration among certain demographics. In an effort to exploit the many possibilities this medium offered many different companies, programs, and institutions printed up comics for propaganda or advertising and gave them away for free. Comics were a form of social media of the time, raising awareness and offering up misinformation in equal measure.

For years our hobby has ignored or marginalized the historical importance of many of these giveaway comics. I don't know if that will change with this sales thread. But I hope you all will see something new, learn something different, and be compelled to spend some money, enriching Bedrock City and furthering the cause of Comic Book Capitalism.

Some Rules...

1) First :takeit: gets it

2) All prices include shipping in the continental US. We can figure out shipping to any other part of this great big, wonderful world.

3) Thread-krapping is encouraged.

4) Payment info...

Paypal - payments@bedrockcity.com

Checks - make out to:

Bedrock City

6516-D Westheimer Rd.

Houston, TX. 77057

Credit Card - pm me and we can make arrangements

5) Due to the extended length of this sales thread I will not be creating or sending invoices for some time. I am sure that some of you will pile up a few things while others may just be interested in one or two items. Please let me know when you are ready to check out and I will gladly generate an invoice for you.

Page 1

Watch Out For Big Talk - fvf - $75

Mighty Atom - nm - $40

Have More Fun By Playing Safe - vgf - $35

How Does It Work - fn - $30

Tony And Mark Score A Winning Run Over Diabetes - nm - $30

They're Off! - vgf - $20

Foxhole On Your Lawn - vf - $45

Page 2

Here Comes The Parade - nm - $30

Tough To Be Free - nm - $35

Amazing Spider-man, All Detergent - nm- - $40

Amazing Spider-man, Eye/Esquire - fvf - $100

Edited by MrBedrock
Updated 3-17-17

1 minute ago, FlyingDonut said:

COME ON.

Its been 12 MINUTES ALREADY.

<foot tapping>

I'm scanning as I go. I should be cranking along like a well oiled machine at some point....probably Friday or Saturday.

We Hit The Jackpot - 1948 - 16 pages, paper covers, full size - Crippen Copy! - fine/very fine - cream pages - $55 SOLD!

A pro-capitalism, pro-democracy, pro-America comic which fully illustrates all of the ideals that the Red Hats long for. And included at no extra cost is a full size Crippen Collection certificate of authenticity autographed by Lon Allen!

salesthread166.jpg

salesthread167.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock
SOLD!

Watch Out For Big Talk - 1950 - 16 pages, paper cover, 6.5"X9.5" - fine/very fine - off-white pages - $75

This comic, beautifully illustrated by Dan Berry, recounts the history of the American work ethic as it discounts the need for unionization. At one point a snake oil selling union leader is compared to Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini. There is a one inch split at the top of the spine and the comic was manufactured without staples.

salesthread168.jpg

salesthread169.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock
forgot to add pictures

The Mighty Atom - 1969 - 36 pages, glossy covers, full size - off-white pages - near mint - $40

A later printing of the famous giveaway starring Reddy Kilowatt handed out by electricity providers from coast to coast. This copy was given away by Pennsylvania Power and Light. A classic!

salesthread170.jpg

salesthread171.jpg

Have More Fun By Playing Safe - 1965 - 16 pages, paper covers, full size - off-white pages - very good/fine - $35

Produced as a joint venture between Illinois Bell Telephone and the Cook County Sherriff's Office the giveaway teaches children safety tips and how to use the phone. Learn the difference btween Mr. Policeman and Mr. Stranger-Danger! There is a scuff on the front cover which created two small tears on Sheriff Ogilvie's pant leg, otherwise a very nice copy.

salesthread172.jpg

salesthread173.jpg

How Does It Work? - 1950 - 16 pages, paper covers, full size - fine - cream/ off-white pages - $30

Given out by Westinghouse for use is schools, this comic features explanations of the principles behind things like atomic energy, jet propulsion, radio and television.

salesthread174.jpg

salesthread175.jpg

Tony and Mark Score A Winning Run Over Diabetes - 1975 - 20 pages, glossy stock throughout, full size - near mint - white pages - $30

Produced by Eli Lilly and Company, this beautifully illustrated comic tells of the various advancements in treating childhood diabetes.

salesthread176.jpg

salesthread177.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock
r

They're Off! - 1976 - 16 pages, paper cover, full size - very good/fine - off-white pages - $20

A primer to horse racing and track betting. A subscription-like crease keeps this from being higher grade, probably folded in the back pocket of some track regular. It is possible that this comic brought the holder such luck that he hit a string of exactas, won the lottery, and met his future wife and two mistresses.

salesthread178.jpg

salesthread179.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock

Turning Wheels, The Studebaker Story - 1954 - 16 pages, paper cover, full size - off-white/ white pages - near mint - $85 SOLD!

salesthread180.jpg

salesthread181.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock
SOLD!

Foxhole On Your Front Lawn - mid 50s? - 16 pages, paper cover, 6.75"X3.5" - off-white pages - very fine - $45

Produced by Charles Biro for the US Treasury, it explains the importance of saving money and investing in the US government through war bonds during times of crisis. There is no date but the draft is in effect so the assumption is that this was created during the Korean War.

salesthread182.jpg

salesthread183.jpg